Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:13 PM   #1
hkim1983
macrumors 6502

Does this app exist?

I apologize in advance if these seem like basic questions to seasoned ipad users, but I have never owned a tablet before. Hi, I am considering buying an ipad to assist me with something I do on the side (private tutoring), and I was wondering if this kind of app existed, but I'm not sure what it would be called (which is why it would be quite difficult just searching for it blindly...). I am hoping that someone who is familiar with such an app can help me out here.

This is what I want the app to do:
-Be able to schedule and keep track of appointments.

-Have the ability to "sign in", that is, once I start an appointment with a client, a timer keeps track of how much time has elapsed so I can charge them appropriately. Being able to pause and resume this would be helpful.

-Bonus: Be able to create and maintain a database of clients to review.

-Bonus 2: This is completely unnecessary, but it would be nifty if they could generate invoices too showing the amount of time elapsed and the rate that is being charged.

In theory, I can do this through a variety of apps working together (for example, contacts + ical + a stopwatch app), but if I could do this all within a single app, that would be quite convenient. Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to assist me!

Bonus 3: While I'm at it, does the ipad have a pdf reader app? I did not see a lot of relevant materials while browsing through the ibook store for the subject that I teach, but I may be able to acquire a pdf copy of it. Having it on the ipad as a reference instead of carrying these heavy and thick books would be quite...nice...
hkim1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:17 PM   #2
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkim1983 View Post
I apologize in advance if these seem like basic questions to seasoned ipad users, but I have never owned a tablet before. Hi, I am considering buying an ipad to assist me with something I do on the side (private tutoring), and I was wondering if this kind of app existed, but I'm not sure what it would be called (which is why it would be quite difficult just searching for it blindly...). I am hoping that someone who is familiar with such an app can help me out here.

This is what I want the app to do:
-Be able to schedule and keep track of appointments.

-Have the ability to "sign in", that is, once I start an appointment with a client, a timer keeps track of how much time has elapsed so I can charge them appropriately. Being able to pause and resume this would be helpful.

-Bonus: Be able to create and maintain a database of clients to review.

-Bonus 2: This is completely unnecessary, but it would be nifty if they could generate invoices too showing the amount of time elapsed and the rate that is being charged.

In theory, I can do this through a variety of apps working together (for example, contacts + ical + a stopwatch app), but if I could do this all within a single app, that would be quite convenient. Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to assist me!

Bonus 3: While I'm at it, does the ipad have a pdf reader app? I did not see a lot of relevant materials while browsing through the ibook store for the subject that I teach, but I may be able to acquire a pdf copy of it. Having it on the ipad as a reference instead of carrying these heavy and thick books would be quite...nice...
iBooks reads PDF
DerekRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:48 PM   #3
hkim1983
macrumors 6502

Thanks Derek! I had my suspicions of that, but I just wanted to make sure.
hkim1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:51 PM   #4
mattdeezy
macrumors member

I dont think it does all of what you are after however you could give this a go..

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/harv...355395846?mt=8

Also, I use Goodreader for PDFs. Better than ibooks because you can sync to cloud storage (dropbox etc) and can file the pdf's and other files in folders.
mattdeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:28 AM   #5
jojoba
macrumors 65816

Not sure which app you'd use for those requirements. Update us if you find one, because it's a good concept.

For reading pdfs, my favorite app is iAnnotate. I've written about how I use it here. GoodReader and PDF Expert are very good alternatives.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:38 PM   #6
xiasx
macrumors newbie

Re

hi hkim1983

Have you seen Freshbooks ? This is a site with a mobile version/app for iphone & ipad, you sign up, it's cloud-based time-tracking and invoicing - I am pretty sure it does almost everything you have mentioned except perhaps the schedule, but it may do this or have an add-on app partner that it works with.

I currently use the desktop version but haven't had chance to try the iOS version yet. It seems very well-supported and developed with real people you can call if there's a problem !

Worth nothing also that it is always free for up to 3 clients (multiple billings, projects assignable to these 3 clients). The 'free trial' advertised is for limitless clients; after the 30-day trial if you have more than 3 clients you have to use the paid service, or continue for free for as long as you want with the limit of 3 clients.

The app itself is free. Hope this is of help.

http://www.freshbooks.com/iphone/
FreshBooks for iPhone and iPad is built for business owners to get organized and get paid. Track time at a coffee shop, log an expense from a cab, or send an invoice right from your client's office.
xiasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Vitrum
Banned

theres a "Get a grip" app.
Vitrum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:30 PM   #8
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Search under "Time Tracker" or "Timesheet". Add the term "Invoice" to narrow your search. After looking at a few myself, it looks like a good rule of thumb is: If the app is free, there's probably a website/PC side that you need where they charge the money.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps