Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:18 PM   #1
hungledink
macrumors newbie

Power off slider doesnt appear

I have issues with my home button on my iPhone 3GS. It takes a few hits to register these days.

Subsequently, when i try and do a power off, hold home and power buttons till red slider appears, the slider doesnt appear and the phone simply turns off.

I have recently bought an iPad and the red slider wont appear on the iPad either, holding home and power buttons. The iPad simply powers off.

Is it possible my itunes is corrupt?
hungledink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

It's possible you don't know how to work iOS. To get the red slider, hold down only the top button.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:39 PM   #3
phillyphill
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungledink View Post
I have issues with my home button on my iPhone 3GS. It takes a few hits to register these days.

Subsequently, when i try and do a power off, hold home and power buttons till red slider appears, the slider doesnt appear and the phone simply turns off.

I have recently bought an iPad and the red slider wont appear on the iPad either, holding home and power buttons. The iPad simply powers off.

Is it possible my itunes is corrupt?

its because you're forcing it to do a hard reset by holding both buttons, just hold the top button like the guy above me said
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:38 AM   #4
hungledink
macrumors newbie

Yeah, my bad. Holding the power button only does the trick. Was that always the way of having the slider appear or did you previously need to hold both buttons?
hungledink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Feed Me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungledink View Post
Yeah, my bad. Holding the power button only does the trick. Was that always the way of having the slider appear or did you previously need to hold both buttons?
Holding the power button was always the way.
Feed Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:55 AM   #6
DanielCoffey
macrumors 65816

If you are also having problems with a non-responsive Home Button, google "iphone 3gs repair home button" and you will find out about the issue and how to get it dealt with.
DanielCoffey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:26 AM   #7
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
It's possible you don't know how to work iOS. To get the red slider, hold down only the top button.
It might be u who doesn't know iOS. Because in the past, when u held the power and home button, you DID get the red slider, but u kept holding both buttons right through the slider screen until it powered back to the apple logo.

I'm not sure when it changed though.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Oridus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
It might be u who doesn't know iOS. Because in the past, when u held the power and home button, you DID get the red slider, but u kept holding both buttons right through the slider screen until it powered back to the apple logo.

iOS 6
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post

Both buttons has always been force reset and just the power button has always been red slider. It's been since this way since iOS 1.0.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:19 PM   #10
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Both buttons has always been force reset and just the power button has always been red slider. It's been since this way since iOS 1.0.
Yes, both buttons are a hard reset. But the red slider would still ALWAYS show up. But to complete the reset, u would hold both buttons right through the slider screen. Not until iOS 6 (as mentioned above) did the slider bar not appear on a hard reset.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone