Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Hi,

I just got a Bluetooth Adapter for my G5 hoping that I'd be able to use my iPhone as a remote when watching stuff. The G5 is using the Bluetooth Adapter just fine and recognized my iPhone. However, my iPhone refuses to pair with it and keeps telling me that the "device is not supported". Is this because I'm running 10.4.11 on the G5? Is there any way to make it pair? I have to use my MacBook to sync the phone because it won't work with 10.4.11. I, also, ordered an airport express card but that won't be arriving for another few weeks. Is there anything I can do to make the iPhone pair with my computer or am I going to need to buy one of those tiny Bluetooth mouse/keyboard if I want remote functionality?

Thanks

EDIT: I've gotten the Apple Remote app to work so I can play movies in my iTunes on this computer, but I'm still hoping there's a way to have a full remote mouse so I could, for instance, switch to different YouTube videos or the like without having to get up. I may be lazy, but I also have a joint disorder so the less getting up and getting down I do, the better. Thanks again

Last edited:

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Hi,

I just got a Bluetooth Adapter for my G5 hoping that I'd be able to use my iPhone as a remote when watching stuff.

The easier way once you get your Airport card is to set up a VNC remote using Wifi rather than Bluetooth ;) You will also get better range using Wifi. Most apps that you would use with a remote control have a VNC remote app, or if you want to control your whole computer just turn on screen sharing on your Mac and download a VNC client.

One of the more common remotes for FrontRow is Rowmote, while I'm pretty sure VLC has a couple of remotes in the iTunes store as well. While you can try a full desktop access client for your iPhone like Mocha VNC.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm using Hippo LITE, but there are any number of remote mouse controllers in the app store.

Hippo LITE allows me to use my iPhone 3GS as a remote trackpad (with trackpad button) and does not require installation of any additional software on the Mac (just enabling screen sharing).

Both your iPhone and your Mac will need to be on the same WiFi network of course.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I'm using Hippo LITE, but there are any number of remote mouse controllers.

It's nice when you can use your iPhone or iPod touch as a glorified trackpad. It feels about the same as the glass trackpad on modern Macs as well, you just have to get used to "tap to click," Where I still prefer the feeling of an actual mouse click.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, I don't use it a lot. Mainly when I have the Mac a good distance away from me. I still prefer the trackpad on the laptop itself.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
There should be plenty of ways to do what you're trying to do over Wi-Fi. Bluetooth seems like it wouldn't be the best protocol for the task at hand here.

beefpitas

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
ppc support and iphone

yeah, but just pointing out how the iphone doesn't pair with bluetooth devices raises serious questions. why is it easier to send files (via bluetooth) between any other phone and my g5, than my iphone and g5? why did iSync serve to sync blackberry and a whole list of other phones to mac, but you can't sync an iphone?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
There are many apps that let you use it as a mouse/keyboard over WiFi using the VNC protocol, which is built in to OS X (as "Screen Sharing".)

Go find your favorite.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
I wound up using Hippo LITE after I got the Airport Card installed and it works great. So well, in fact, that I ditched the other remote apps I was using with my MacBook and use it exclusively for a Mac Remote. Really great app. The BlueTooth adapter came in handy, though, allowing me to use the wireless Magic Trackpad with slightly limited functionality on the G5. Thanks for your suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.