Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I just got done polishing the bezel on my black iPhone 5 like shown in the video below. I must say I am very pleased with the way it looks. (actual pics of my phone below)

link to previous thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1484402/

Attachments

• Black iPhone 5 Polished Bezel 2.JPG
    Black iPhone 5 Polished Bezel 2.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 9,336
  • Black iPhone 5 Polished Bezel.JPG
    Black iPhone 5 Polished Bezel.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 9,373
Last edited:

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Just like painting it they will charge you the out of warranty replacement price if it needs repair.

You might argue your case but you will be a long long time with a broken phone.

Other than that it looks nice.

Vitrum

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
Looks awesome mate ! Btw link the other thread with these one so others can check it out too :p

Regarding warranty i think op gave apple a call and they where ok, he just need to say the paint rubbed off and he polished.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Just like painting it they will charge you the out of warranty replacement price if it needs repair.

You might argue your case but you will be a long long time with a broken phone.

Other than that it looks nice.

I called AppleCare before I did it. Turns out the iPhone 5 wasn't the first iPhone to have troubles with paint peeling. Actually they were sued for the first colored iPod nano doing the same thing and the iPhone 3G and 3GS had issues with the emblem and writing peeling off. They said it never effected the warranty if the paint was taken off because they knew it was coming off anyway. They suggested that if I ever do need to warranty it that I don't mention sand paper and definitely don't use chemicals but if I simply state that most of it came off on it's own so I took the rest of it off it wouldn't be considered an unauthorized modification to the device and it would keep it's warranty

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Not a big fan of the look but to each his own.

I was wondering what did you expect apple to do about it (you listed in your video they would do nothing)

Replace it for having a defective anodizated coat.

The video is where I got the idea though, I guess I'm not the only one who is getting turned down by Apple now.

Rhythmic-

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
That looks pretty sexy. So have you decided yet if you're gonna sand off the edges on the front as well? I read your other thread, and having to remove the screen to protect it sounds kinda scary, especially with a new phone. Apple would probably have a way to find out and could void your warranty.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
That looks pretty sexy. So have you decided yet if you're gonna sand off the edges on the front as well? I read your other thread, and having to remove the screen to protect it sounds kinda scary, especially with a new phone. Apple would probably have a way to find out and could void your warranty.
Yeah, I haven't decided what to do with the front yet. The paint on the front hasn't started to chip yet though. I think the glass being slightly raised off the front offers a bit of protection. Hopefully it will stay nice. I am going to keep it in a case from now on too.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Replace it for having a defective anodizated coat.

The video is where I got the idea though, I guess I'm not the only one who is getting turned down by Apple now.

Anodizing rubs off... That doesn't make it defective. You chose to NOT cover an anodized aluminum part. It's expected to wear. I have some clear protection on mine and it looks exactly like it did the day I unboxed it.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Anodizing rubs off... That doesn't make it defective. You chose to NOT cover an anodized aluminum part. It's expected to wear. I have some clear protection on mine and it looks exactly like it did the day I unboxed it.

I know nothing lasts forever, and I don't expect it to but it started coming off after a matter of days from normal use. Apple has admitted to the defect but unfortunately for me I waited to long to have it replaced.

There are people who's iPhones have warn even with protection. It's defective cause it wasn't typical wear, it happened very prematurely.

Rhythmic-

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012

You have a film protector on the chamfered edges? :rolleyes:

I bought a full body protection (Bestskinsever) and applied it the moment I got the phone as well, but the chamfered edges aren't covered and are still exposed. I got a white phone, but still. I'd prefer to have every corner protected, lol.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
You have a film protector on the chamfered edges? :rolleyes:

I bought a full body protection (Bestskinsever) and applied it the moment I got the phone as well, but the chamfered edges aren't covered and are still exposed. I got a white phone, but still. I'd prefer to have every corner protected, lol.

I think it would be really hard to cover the chamfered edges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.