Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Samz
macrumors newbie

Spigen SGP - Neo Hybrid EX Metal

Looks like Spigen has a third Neo Hybrid EX series out, called Metal. Seems to be an attempt at metallic colours, including a satin silver and slate that match the original antenna design of both the white and black iPhone 5. There's also a metal blue and metal pink. Same price as usual, $31.99 with all the goodies included.

I think this may very well be the best bumper for those looking to preserve the design of the iPhone whilst adding some protection. Just ordered my Metal Slate, hopefully it's a great case!
Samz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Koebot
macrumors member

I see they moved the silver from the snow series and call it metal now. I'd like to see real metal instead of plastic.

Last edited by Koebot; Nov 2, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Koebot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:24 PM   #3
JustOneQuickONe
macrumors 6502

I'd like to see metal too, but this looks decent for what's available. Post some pics when you get it, maybe some dimensions too? The cheap bumper I have now is about as thick as the neo hybrid Snow that I had for my 4. Looking for something that keeps the slimness of the 5 if I can.
JustOneQuickONe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:27 AM   #4
monkeydax
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneQuickONe View Post
I'd like to see metal too, but this looks decent for what's available. Post some pics when you get it, maybe some dimensions too? The cheap bumper I have now is about as thick as the neo hybrid Snow that I had for my 4. Looking for something that keeps the slimness of the 5 if I can.
Any comments about whether the white rubber is gonna get dirty/yellow very easily? It's quite a bit stopping me from getting the Satin Silver one.
monkeydax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:07 AM   #5
Hicks.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydax View Post
Any comments about whether the white rubber is gonna get dirty/yellow very easily? It's quite a bit stopping me from getting the Satin Silver one.
I've had the snow one on my iPhone 5 a few weeks now and I can confirm that the white doesn't discolour. It's like a shiny sealed rubber if that makes sense. It's been in and out of jeans and other trousers and there is no discolouration.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:36 AM   #6
lovetamarav
macrumors member

Wish they would sell the plastic part separate. I already have the Neo Hybrid EX in the satin silver. I love it! But I would really like to get the pink metallic without buying the whole thing all over again.

To the PP that was worried about staining on the white silicone. It does not stain. It's coated with something to stop that. I had an otterbox commuter with white silicone and stained horribly in just a few days. I've had the Spigen for two weeks and there is not even a hint of staining from makeup, jeans, purse, etc.
lovetamarav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:45 AM   #7
DaveWonders
macrumors member

I just bit the bullet and bought one. I have a ProClip mount for my iPhone 4 w/bumper in my car. My hope is that the iP5 with this case will fit in the groove and I won't have to change the mount. Losing a little bit of thinness is a fair trade off.

Also, since the Satin Silver moved over to the "metal" line, I wonder if this was the Gun Metal color that has been listed with the Soul Black and Yellow.
DaveWonders is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:33 PM   #8
JustOneQuickONe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Contrary to what others have said I did have some issues with discoloring. They may have changed their "formula" since I got mine though. It's not terrible but it hasn't stayed the nice clean white that it started out as. I can take some pictures if you'd like, but I don't have a new one to compare it to, and it would be with my 5 so I'm not sure it would be very helpful. Overall though, even though it discolors a little, it's still holds its white better than most white cases do.
JustOneQuickONe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:37 PM   #9
monkeydax
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneQuickONe View Post
Contrary to what others have said I did have some issues with discoloring. They may have changed their "formula" since I got mine though. It's not terrible but it hasn't stayed the nice clean white that it started out as. I can take some pictures if you'd like, but I don't have a new one to compare it to, and it would be with my 5 so I'm not sure it would be very helpful. Overall though, even though it discolors a little, it's still holds its white better than most white cases do.
Ah I see i see! Yes maybe you'd like to provide some pictures!

Slightly later adopters - you think there has been a change in their "formula"?
monkeydax is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:22 PM   #10
GiRARDsays
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to GiRARDsays
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Looks like Spigen has a third Neo Hybrid EX series out, called Metal. Seems to be an attempt at metallic colours, including a satin silver and slate that match the original antenna design of both the white and black iPhone 5. There's also a metal blue and metal pink. Same price as usual, $31.99 with all the goodies included.

I think this may very well be the best bumper for those looking to preserve the design of the iPhone whilst adding some protection. Just ordered my Metal Slate, hopefully it's a great case!

Please post pictures when you get it! I'm curious how well the Metal Slate matches with the Black/Slate iPhone 5.
GiRARDsays is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:37 AM   #11
Hicks.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ah I see i see! Yes maybe you'd like to provide some pictures!

Slightly later adopters - you think there has been a change in their "formula"?
I was one of the first to get the bumper and mine is OK. YMMV
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:56 AM   #12
ChakaChaka
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWonders View Post
I just bit the bullet and bought one. I have a ProClip mount for my iPhone 4 w/bumper in my car. My hope is that the iP5 with this case will fit in the groove and I won't have to change the mount. Losing a little bit of thinness is a fair trade off.

Also, since the Satin Silver moved over to the "metal" line, I wonder if this was the Gun Metal color that has been listed with the Soul Black and Yellow.
I have the same proclip mount as you. It will be a really tight fit with this bumper. Tight enough where I don't want to use it cause it becomes a pain to mount and remove
ChakaChaka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Jackson743
macrumors member

I've had the satin silver with white silicone insert and I've not experienced any discoloring.
Jackson743 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:00 PM   #14
DaveWonders
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChakaChaka View Post
I have the same proclip mount as you. It will be a really tight fit with this bumper. Tight enough where I don't want to use it cause it becomes a pain to mount and remove
So the sgp case on a 5 is thicker than the apple bumper for the 4? That blows.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:20 PM   #15
LittleGwen
Banned

Omg! I've been waiting forever for the pink one to come out! Gotta have this with the aluminum home button sticker! I'll try to post pictures of it when I receive them as well~
LittleGwen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:23 PM   #16
JNGold
macrumors 6502a

I have always liked SGP (now SPIGEN) and owned several Neo/Neo Hybrid cases for my 4 and 4s. I have to say though, the metal looks like a really nice case, but those side buttons have to go. They make the case look cheap, which is a shame. Plus, making the bumper thicker was a way to alleviate the case from snapping on the bottom, which plagued the previous gen 4/4s cases. Unfortunately, they decided to just carry over to the 5 form factor which bulks up the svelte feel of the 5.
JNGold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:58 PM   #17
Samz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I've heard from Spigen on Facebook that the slate metal is a new colour, designed to mimic the look of the original hardware. Gunmetal will still be coming out, but it will be a more brownish colour than the slate. A bit confusing all in all, I suspect they may move gunmetal over to the metal series once it is stocked.
Samz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:46 PM   #18
DaveWonders
macrumors member

Just got my slate model in the mail. I have mixed feelings.

First, the color is pretty close. Depends on the lighting, but it's exactly what I was looking for in regards to looking like the original slate band.

But I'm surprised by the bulk this thing adds. A poster above warned me and sure enough he was correct. I was worried about the thickness from front to back but never thought about the width it adds left to right and top to bottom. I have an iPhone 4 in a bumper and they are almost the same thickness from front to back but the Neo Hybrid is wayyyy wider on the sides. It will definitely not work with my car mount :/

Also, not crazy about the rubber buttons and because the case is so thick on the sides the depth of the cutout for the silent switch is deeeeeeep.

I think I might eventually replace this guy when the cheap factories perfect the copy of the Apple bumper for the 5...in a color I like (I HATE those clear ones, ughhhh).

Also - I don't really feel like taking or posting pics. The color is probably as close to the aluminum as you can get. Any difference in color is the difference in how the plastic reflects light, etc. And there's tons of pics of Neo Hybrids in other colors. I'm happy to answer any questions though.
DaveWonders is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:14 PM   #19
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

anyone who *does* care to share some pics?
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:15 PM   #20
bmwman3241
macrumors regular

Anyone have a picture of the metal slate?
bmwman3241 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:01 AM   #21
ChakaChaka
macrumors member

Quote:
Just got my slate model in the mail. I have mixed feelings.

First, the color is pretty close. Depends on the lighting, but it's exactly what I was looking for in regards to looking like the original slate band.

But I'm surprised by the bulk this thing adds. A poster above warned me and sure enough he was correct. I was worried about the thickness from front to back but never thought about the width it adds left to right and top to bottom. I have an iPhone 4 in a bumper and they are almost the same thickness from front to back but the Neo Hybrid is wayyyy wider on the sides. It will definitely not work with my car mount :/

Also, not crazy about the rubber buttons and because the case is so thick on the sides the depth of the cutout for the silent switch is deeeeeeep.

I think I might eventually replace this guy when the cheap factories perfect the copy of the Apple bumper for the 5...in a color I like (I HATE those clear ones, ughhhh).

Also - I don't really feel like taking or posting pics. The color is probably as close to the aluminum as you can get. Any difference in color is the difference in how the plastic reflects light, etc. And there's tons of pics of Neo Hybrids in other colors. I'm happy to answer any questions though.
The rubber buttons are a good thing. If you think about it, the iphone 4/4s had unannodized metal volume buttons. When the metal buttons from the bumper made contact with the buttons on the 4/4s there's no color to rub off.

The iphone 5 has no raw or polished metal parts (black version) everything is annodized. any contact the phone makes with a hard surface will result in the potential of scratches or color wearing off, especially a moving part such as the volume buttons. The inside rubber piece also protects the chamfered edge very well.

My proclip adjustable mount for my old 3GS fits this case perfectly. If you have one give it a sot.

Attached is slate metal pic...it's taken from an iPad so real bad quality
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	376023  
ChakaChaka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:57 AM   #22
DaveWonders
macrumors member

I've actually warmed up to the rubber buttons. I installed the back protectors and took them off within 3 hours. Constant peeling from the case at the edges. I also did a wet install and still got the halo around the Apple and iPhone text. I did like the feel of the matte piece though.

I'm still debating whether I should search for another case that fits my current car mount or bite the bullet and buy that $79 Proclip mount.

Last edited by DaveWonders; Nov 9, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:10 AM   #23
ejin222
macrumors member

Quote:
I've had the satin silver one for a good two weeks or so on my white iPhone 5 and it does look a little yellower than the first day putting it on, especially when put up to the light and comparing against the white panels on the phone. I still love the bumper and it does what it was intended for, but if it does get any more yellow, I might replace it as I got it to compliment my phone, not contrast it.

Time will tell.
ejin222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:37 PM   #24
bmwman3241
macrumors regular

Looks like they released the Gunmetal today. I would like to see a side-by-side of the Metal Slate and Gunmetal.
bmwman3241 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:28 PM   #25
matrix808
macrumors regular

are there any issues with the sides of the case being loose and not a tight fit?
matrix808 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories