Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:38 AM   #1
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

So when you connect to LTE on the iPhone 5 what really determines the speed?

It can't be the reception since I've gotten 5 bars if I go up the street and get 22mbps, but a few miles away in another town I can get 43mbps. So what determines the speeds you'll get besides congestion?
tymaster50 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:41 AM   #2
daneoni
macrumors G4

Level of congestion and how close to the mast you are.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:59 AM   #3
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Level of congestion and how close to the mast you are.
most people in my town have an iPhone 4 or 4S so there would be little Verizon LTE congestion.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:05 AM   #4
HowardSmith
Banned

5 bars is helpful but there are many other factors including the carriers available LTE bandwidth on the closest tower. They could be congested or they might just choose to keep your speed throttled to what they want!
HowardSmith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:31 AM   #5
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardSmith View Post
5 bars is helpful but there are many other factors including the carriers available LTE bandwidth on the closest tower. They could be congested or they might just choose to keep your speed throttled to what they want!
where can I find the location of the nearest tower? I feel like there is one right up the street but then I only get 2-3 bars of LTE, even though it's like a minute drive away.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:46 AM   #6
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
where can I find the location of the nearest tower? I feel like there is one right up the street but then I only get 2-3 bars of LTE, even though it's like a minute drive away.
Carriers generally do not advertise where they have towers. Remember that "the tower just a minute away" may not be YOUR carrier's tower

2-3 bars of LTE is more than enough to get all the speed that the congestion or carrier would allow you. I get blazing fast LTE speeds on my iPhone 5 with only 1-2 bars of LTE. The carriers do not guarantee any speeds, they only say they are faster than 3G, etc.
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:51 AM   #7
Quu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
most people in my town have an iPhone 4 or 4S so there would be little Verizon LTE congestion.
I bet there is 50 other iPhone 5 owners in your town saying the exact same thing.
Quu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:51 AM   #8
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
There are other Verizon phones (android) that have LTE, it's not just iPhones..
Tyler23 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:34 AM   #9
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
It can't be the reception
Sure it can. There are, however, other factors as well -- not just signal strength.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:40 AM   #10
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
The iphone was ine of the last major phones to get LTE. also As previously stated million factors come into play on the actual speed. I can have 5 bars and get 3mbps near my office during the day, but if I go in late to fix something I can get 20+. Congestion. On the other hand in the burbs where I live I get 3 bars but regurly 10mbps.

Last edited by balamw; Nov 9, 2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Insults
paulrbeers is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:03 PM   #11
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
The iphone was ine of the last major phones to get LTE. also As previously stated million factors come into play on the actual speed. I can have 5 bars and get 3mbps near my office during the day, but if I go in late to fix something I can get 20+. Congestion. On the other hand in the burbs where I live I get 3 bars but regurly 10mbps.
Out of all the people in my town about 50% have an iPhone so at max theres only a few people on Verizon AND using LTE. there are a few people with lte Verizon smartphones and they usually leave it off. In my part of town there aren't very many lte capable devices. So my statement is correct. There is little congestion on the tower.

Last edited by balamw; Nov 9, 2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: quoted insults
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:34 PM   #12
bigred7078
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Out of all the people in my town about 50% have an iPhone so at max theres only a few people on Verizon AND using LTE. there are a few people with lte Verizon smartphones and they usually leave it off. In my part of town there aren't very many lte capable devices. So my statement is correct. There is little congestion on the tower.
LOL what, do you run a census in your town to determine how many have iPhones, are on Verizon, and have LTE switched on?!?!?
bigred7078 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:37 PM   #13
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred7078 View Post
LOL what, do you run a census in your town to determine how many have iPhones, are on Verizon, and have LTE switched on?!?!?
It's not hard dude, if the tower was congested I wouldn't be getting consistent speeds, so it's not out there to theorize that there aren't many people on the tower. Also with the fact that only maybe 2 out of every 20 actually use LTE and that I live on the south side of a town that is 20 miles in area that the tower closest to me is not congested.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:01 PM   #14
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

A whole bunch of things can affect speed:

1. Reception (and that's often more than just bars)
2. Signal to noise ratios
3. Distance from the tower
4. Whether you're moving or stationary
5. How many other devices are on the network and at what levels they are actively using the network for data.
6. Available backhaul: how fast the data connection is from the tower to the central office and outside world.
7. Your phone's performance. The antenna and radio can affect things, and it's not unheard of that certain mobile chipsets don't play as nicely with certain base station vendors. An Ericsson-equipped cell site might interact differently with your phone than, say, an Alcatel-Lucent equipped site, a Nokia Siemens cell site, or a Samsung or Huawei site. Even a phone with a heavily loaded CPU can have adverse throughput as a side effect.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Nov 9, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:06 PM   #15
aka777
macrumors 6502a

Also forgetting one thing, with LTE, you are not necessarily using the closest tower yet.

You can have a scenario where your calls would be routed to a tower that is a mile or two away. Whereas, the LTE connection on the same handset could be traveling to a tower than is 4 to 8 miles away. Therefore, there are significantly more people using this one tower within the 8 mile radius (for example), than your closest tower.
aka777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:40 PM   #16
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Classic tymaster50

how small is the town? 100 people?
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:06 PM   #17
evilrt
macrumors regular

Wouldn't most of the people in town be using Wi-Fi instead of LTE? People that would be using LTE would be driving through.
evilrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:10 PM   #18
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrt View Post
Wouldn't most of the people in town be using Wi-Fi instead of LTE? People that would be using LTE would be driving through.
Probably, see the people here think everyone is using LTE all the time when in my town there is wi-fi at most places. Maybe password locked but it's still wi-fi. With the storm a few parts of town have no power still or their wifi doesn't work so they use their phones network but I'm sure no one is like downloading movies and stuff. Maybe the most intensive data use is streaming netflix or pandora.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:54 PM   #19
sviato
macrumors 68020

Um aren't the bars just for voice/texting seeing as there isn't voice over LTE yet? So the bars would not be a good indication of LTE signal strength.
sviato is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:09 PM   #20
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
So what determines the speeds you'll get besides congestion?
Google
is
your
friend.
PNutts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:46 PM   #21
evilrt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
Um aren't the bars just for voice/texting seeing as there isn't voice over LTE yet? So the bars would not be a good indication of LTE signal strength.
actually, no. when in a Verizon LTE zone the bars represent the LTE signal strength. when in 3G the bars represent CDMA (voice/text).
evilrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:27 PM   #22
sviato
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrt View Post
actually, no. when in a Verizon LTE zone the bars represent the LTE signal strength. when in 3G the bars represent CDMA (voice/text).
so then what shows the calling signal strength?
sviato is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:39 PM   #23
yeah
macrumors 6502a

How many cell towers are in your area
Spectrum amount in your city
Congestion
Cell tower performance
Natural weather events (sunny, windy, rainy, etc....)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:38 PM   #24
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It can't be the reception since I've gotten 5 bars if I go up the street and get 22mbps, but a few miles away in another town I can get 43mbps. So what determines the speeds you'll get besides congestion?
Good Question. Simple answer:
your speed is determined by

1,How far you are from the actual cell Tower
2,How many people and how much Data are accessing the tower at the same time you are accessing the tower.
3,Is your path to the Cell Tower obstructed by Glass windows, a case on your phone, Walls, Steel Beams etc.
4, Electrical wires, transformers in the range of the Cell Tower you're accessing.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone