Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
...on the condition I give them my iPhone 4S. The ETF would have been $220, so not bad I guess. The first speed test I did with my new AT&T iPhone 5 (no LTE) was about twice as fast in my apartment as any speed I got in 13 months with a Sprint 4S, so pretty sure I made the right choice (though I gave up unlimited data).

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I hate sprint with such a passion. There are not enough expletives in existence for me to paint a descriptive enough picture on how much i hate them.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Don't do too many of those speed tests, they eat up data quickly. Onavo Extend and Onavo Count saved my ass on that. About 5 speed tests almost put me at 100mb. I'm on a 2gb data cap so every mb counts.
But don't give them the 4S, you can sell it for more money online. Or unlock it and use it as a backup phone

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Don't do too many of those speed tests, they eat up data quickly. Onavo Extend and Onavo Count saved my ass on that. About 5 speed tests almost put me at 100mb. I'm on a 2gb data cap so every mb counts.
But don't give them the 4S, you can sell it for more money online. Or unlock it and use it as a backup phone

Its a sprint iphone 4s, its CDMA locked and can't be unlocked. It won't be worth more than the 220ish, since spring iphones are the least desirable.

01blu-gsr

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
Its a sprint iphone 4s, its CDMA locked and can't be unlocked. It won't be worth more than the 220ish, since spring iphones are the least desirable.

its a 4s with a sim card slot, so it can be unlocked for a GSM network.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
its a 4s with a sim card slot, so it can be unlocked for a GSM network.

Not inside the united states - thats why you need to jailbreak and use a gevey sim (along with a GSM sim) on the CDMA iphone to use a domestic sim card. It's a software lock of the GSM radio inside the US that cannot be removed.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...ur-unlocked-iphone-4s-to-another-u.s-carrier/

You need to use this: http://www.applenberry.com/unlock-cdma-iphone-4s/

Since there is no jailbreak for iOS6 right now, for the 4s, it wont work anyway.

That's why they have such crappy resale value on the second hand market...they're only good for sprint or if an international person really wants it, but even they are better off getting an ATT.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
Gazelle will pay $185 for the phone, so I'll save 35 bucks by giving to Sprint. Keeping it as a backup does sound smart though. The Sprint rep didn't even try with any pretenses that they have good service-he just looked at his map and immediately agreed with my choice to end the contract. At least I can give them credit for that and not end on a total bad note with Sprint. I am already getting up 8X faster speeds and I haven't even been with 90 miles of an LTE area. I'm assuming I'm getting HSPA speeds...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Talk about Onavo, whatever you guys do NOT install that Onavo Count app or Onavo Extend.
This app routes every piece of data through onavos servers.
Data rates will be slow cause now you're depending on onavos servers before your data can be sent or reach its destination.
Every photo, text, search, username password etc.. will be sent through onavos servers. Im not comfortable with that. It will also break your email,hotspot, vpn and will also install a new profile on your phone.
Because the app is free most likely the dev will make his money by selling your data and info to others. You're not the customer using this app, you're the product.
Stay away.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Talk about Onavo, whatever you guys do NOT install that Onavo Count app or Onavo Extend.
Data rates will be slow cause now you're depending on onavos servers before your data can be sent or reach its destination.
Every photo, text, search, username password etc.. will be sent through onavos servers. Im not comfortable with that. It will also break your email,hotspot, vpn and will also install a new profile on your phone.
Because the app is free most likely the dev will make his money by selling your data and info to others. You're not the customer using this app, you're the product.
Stay away.

The data speed wasn't slow to me, eh.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Stay away.

You are being paranoid.

Besides, if I remember correctly, I remembered reading somewhere that Onavo does not even touch does encrypted pages where you shop online and enter all your credentials to make a purchase. I'll have to find the source somewhere.

pirarre

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
The Sprint iphone 4s can be unlocked. Sprint will unlock it for you, provided that you havent unlocked any other iphone 4s on that specific line within your contract period. You have to call or chat with Sprint International Support.

Then you can sell it for more than what Sprint is offering you...especially on ebay. I'm sure someone overseas will buy it.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
It's still a risk and also a slow down to your connection.
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I didn't notice any major slow downs on AT&T's 4G, but I did on LTE. However, I uninstalled it and still had problem with my LTE connection so it's probably an actual LTE problem in my area. Who knows.

Anyways, I tried that Onavo thing where it shows you how much data it uses and it's not really all that accurate and doesn't show you some apps. I think it bundles it as "Web" if it doesn't know what it is and calls it a day. It's not all that precise like it claims it is. Their shrinking data app however is good.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
The Sprint iphone 4s can be unlocked. Sprint will unlock it for you, provided that you havent unlocked any other iphone 4s on that specific line within your contract period. You have to call or chat with Sprint International Support.

Then you can sell it for more than what Sprint is offering you...especially on ebay. I'm sure someone overseas will buy it.

He'd pretty much only be able to sell it to someone abroad or to someone with sprint. Theyre not going for what he'd need to sell it for to come out with what Sprint is offering. With paypal and ebay fees you'd need to sell it for about 255 + shipping, just to come out at about what sprint is offering. That's hugely unlikely if its a 16gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.