Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jabij1

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
That actually looks really good. Love how it's somewhat of a throwback to the 3G.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I called AppleCare before I did it. Turns out the iPhone 5 wasn't the first iPhone to have troubles with paint peeling. Actually they were sued for the first colored iPod nano doing the same thing and the iPhone 3G and 3GS had issues with the emblem and writing peeling off. They said it never effected the warranty if the paint was taken off because they knew it was coming off anyway. They suggested that if I ever do need to warranty it that I don't mention sand paper and definitely don't use chemicals but if I simply state that most of it came off on it's own so I took the rest of it off it wouldn't be considered an unauthorized modification to the device and it would keep it's warranty

I'm not usually a fan of mods like this, but I have to admit it does look nice that way....Would I tackle it? No, I'm getting used to the black, and the phone is always in its case anyway:)

FlatlinerG

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I know nothing lasts forever, and I don't expect it to but it started coming off after a matter of days from normal use. Apple has admitted to the defect but unfortunately for me I waited to long to have it replaced.

There are people who's iPhones have warn even with protection. It's defective cause it wasn't typical wear, it happened very prematurely.

And where did apple admit to this "defect"?

Cdaddy112

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Anodizing rubs off... That doesn't make it defective. You chose to NOT cover an anodized aluminum part. It's expected to wear. I have some clear protection on mine and it looks exactly like it did the day I unboxed it.

its not expected to wear in a few weeks, after 2 weeks of completely babying the damn phone the thing had little scratches all over it, its ridiculous

Sermon

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2009
You did a great job there - looks very professional! Congratulations & kudos!

As far as the new look goes, sorry, I don't like it at all, but to each his own. I think the polished bezel sticks out like a sore thumb and completely ruins the stealth look of the black & slate iPhone 5, but - like I said - *I* don't have to like it -- the most important thing is that *you* like it. :)

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
its not expected to wear in a few weeks, after 2 weeks of completely babying the damn phone the thing had little scratches all over it, its ridiculous

My god I know the same feeling.. god I've been babying my white one and it has little dings and scratches from WHO KNOWS WHAT on the chamfer edge.

OP, love what you've done with the phone! Personally I think a black screen with the back of the white iPhone 5 (minus the white glass) would look fantastic.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Anodizing rubs off... That doesn't make it defective. You chose to NOT cover an anodized aluminum part. It's expected to wear. I have some clear protection on mine and it looks exactly like it did the day I unboxed it.

So how far has Apple fallen when their new flag ship phone is expected to look like hell after a few months of use?

Or, how low have Apple Fans sunk to keep apologizing for every goof Apple makes? You guys are what keeps Apple from being better than this. The 3G/S didn't look like hell after a few months. The 4/S didn't either. With minimal care the look like new years later.

But it's expected of the 5? I'd be ashamed to make a statement like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.