Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:31 AM   #1
crazydave3000
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
iPhone 5 now or wait? (not generic question)

Hi,

I have had a dilemma lately, to the point that I can't focus on anything else really because I just can't decide.

Firstly, some background. I am a student in the UAE who had an iPhone 4, sold it last year and had a BB for a year. Now, needing an actual smartphone again (BB, what a joke) I decided that I want an iPhone. Android was on the table for a few days until I played with a few and decided that the OS is simply too messy.

Now the problem. I will be going to Uni abroad next year so I will be needing potentially the best phone I could get then. With uni loans and all though, I will probably have it for about 2/3 years so I don't want something that is already out of date.

The options are then, that I either buy a 5 now and have it for 2 years and get a 6 (assuming it's 5, 5S, 6), already having an outdated phone next year. Another option is that I get a 4S now, somewhat cheaper and get a 5S next year. This will however mean that I will have that generation for a year until an all new shape and design comes out with a 6 whereas having the 5 should be indistinguishable from the 5S. Third option is to get the 4S and stick it out until the 6.

I tried deciding for myself over the last few weeks as to what I should do but I simply can't decide and it is just becoming frustrating as I'm still where I started. Any advice you guys can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks
crazydave3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:34 AM   #2
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave3000 View Post
Hi,

I have had a dilemma lately, to the point that I can't focus on anything else really because I just can't decide.

Firstly, some background. I am a student in the UAE who had an iPhone 4, sold it last year and had a BB for a year. Now, needing an actual smartphone again (BB, what a joke) I decided that I want an iPhone. Android was on the table for a few days until I played with a few and decided that the OS is simply too messy.

Now the problem. I will be going to Uni abroad next year so I will be needing potentially the best phone I could get then. With uni loans and all though, I will probably have it for about 2/3 years so I don't want something that is already out of date.

The options are then, that I either buy a 5 now and have it for 2 years and get a 6 (assuming it's 5, 5S, 6), already having an outdated phone next year. Another option is that I get a 4S now, somewhat cheaper and get a 5S next year. This will however mean that I will have that generation for a year until an all new shape and design comes out with a 6 whereas having the 5 should be indistinguishable from the 5S. Third option is to get the 4S and stick it out until the 6.

I tried deciding for myself over the last few weeks as to what I should do but I simply can't decide and it is just becoming frustrating as I'm still where I started. Any advice you guys can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks
Look at the bolded parts, you said you didn't want anything out of date and you're considering a 4S, just get a 5 man.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:43 AM   #3
crazydave3000
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Look at the bolded parts, you said you didn't want anything out of date and you're considering a 4S, just get a 5 man.
Yeah true, to be honest though, I don't feel the need to get a 5 now because I think the 4S is perfectly sufficient for what I would use it for now (plus the fact that the iTouch 5 and iPad mini have an A5 pretty much guarantees that any app released within the next year will work on the 4S). Next year though, I am afraid this will not be the case and I would have to get the 5S. As great as it may be, I can imagine being pretty annoyed shelling out my limited funds only to have an all new design come out in less than 12 months.
crazydave3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:50 AM   #4
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave3000 View Post
Yeah true, to be honest though, I don't feel the need to get a 5 now because I think the 4S is perfectly sufficient for what I would use it for now (plus the fact that the iTouch 5 and iPad mini have an A5 pretty much guarantees that any app released within the next year will work on the 4S). Next year though, I am afraid this will not be the case and I would have to get the 5S. As great as it may be, I can imagine being pretty annoyed shelling out my limited funds only to have an all new design come out in less than 12 months.
If you're that worried just get a 5 and people won't be able to tell the difference when the 5S comes out. Or if you just HAVE to have it save up like 200-300, sell your phone the week before the 5S is announced and you'll be able to get the 5S.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Generic question about copy and paste. vjicecool OS X Mavericks (10.9) 1 Oct 25, 2013 03:21 PM
question - is the wait worth it (Haswell)? suppyxx MacBook Pro 32 Sep 9, 2013 01:14 PM
Generic cable for iPhone 5. klien iPhone 5 Oct 24, 2012 01:45 PM
RAM Question: Apple "Certified" or Generic? TxTime MacBook Pro 20 Jun 2, 2012 09:00 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC