Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hungledink

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2011
I have issues with my home button on my iPhone 3GS. It takes a few hits to register these days.

Subsequently, when i try and do a power off, hold home and power buttons till red slider appears, the slider doesnt appear and the phone simply turns off.

I have recently bought an iPad and the red slider wont appear on the iPad either, holding home and power buttons. The iPad simply powers off.

Is it possible my itunes is corrupt?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It's possible you don't know how to work iOS. To get the red slider, hold down only the top button.

phillyphill

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
lorton
I have issues with my home button on my iPhone 3GS. It takes a few hits to register these days.

Subsequently, when i try and do a power off, hold home and power buttons till red slider appears, the slider doesnt appear and the phone simply turns off.

I have recently bought an iPad and the red slider wont appear on the iPad either, holding home and power buttons. The iPad simply powers off.

Is it possible my itunes is corrupt?

its because you're forcing it to do a hard reset by holding both buttons, just hold the top button like the guy above me said :confused:

hungledink

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Yeah, my bad. Holding the power button only does the trick. Was that always the way of having the slider appear or did you previously need to hold both buttons?

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
If you are also having problems with a non-responsive Home Button, google "iphone 3gs repair home button" and you will find out about the issue and how to get it dealt with.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
It's possible you don't know how to work iOS. To get the red slider, hold down only the top button.

It might be u who doesn't know iOS. Because in the past, when u held the power and home button, you DID get the red slider, but u kept holding both buttons right through the slider screen until it powered back to the apple logo.

I'm not sure when it changed though.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
It might be u who doesn't know iOS. Because in the past, when u held the power and home button, you DID get the red slider, but u kept holding both buttons right through the slider screen until it powered back to the apple logo.

iOS 6

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

Both buttons has always been force reset and just the power button has always been red slider. It's been since this way since iOS 1.0.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Both buttons has always been force reset and just the power button has always been red slider. It's been since this way since iOS 1.0.

Yes, both buttons are a hard reset. But the red slider would still ALWAYS show up. But to complete the reset, u would hold both buttons right through the slider screen. Not until iOS 6 (as mentioned above) did the slider bar not appear on a hard reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.