Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OsloBergen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I converted all of my BD's to play on my aTV 3 with AC3 audio tracks. I recently started re-converting for my aTV 3 and iPad 3.

I'm converting the multi-channel audio to AAC stereo and AC3 6-channel. Any stereo or mono tracks like commentaries or original audio are keeping their original mix just being converted to AAC.

I've spent the last week ripping and converting everything again, naturally, this is taking a long time. All I want is new audio tracks as everything else can stay the same, so I've been looking for a solution to handle converting and extracting audio tracks.

I tried MP4Tools last night, but it won't allow me to open any .m4v files. I thought MP4Tools was the MP4 editor and MKVTools was the MKV editor, did I misunderstand something?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
What I do when I need to redo an audio track, and just an audio track, is load the original source on Hanbrake, use the universal setting and slide the RF slider to the lowest setting (all the way to the left) and adjust the Audio Settings like I want to. Now, since MP4tools doesn't load .m4v files like you mentioned, I instead use the MKV extension and use MKVTools to extract the audio once hanbrake is done converting it, and then use Subler to mux it into the .m4v file I want.

This process takes roughly 20 minutes.

OsloBergen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion I'll try that and see what I can come up with.

EmmGunn responded to my email about MP4Tools not opening .m4v files and suggested that I try the beta release. I'll do that too.

I'll see what happens and post my results.

Thanks again.

OsloBergen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Almost got it.

I downloaded the beta for MP4Tools which worked in opening the .m4v file. From there it was just a matter of making a few selections to my custom preset a hitting convert.

My only complaint at this point is that in the resulting file, the audio tracks are reversed. I tested it with my Dazed and Confused BD, so the first track that plays is the AAC commentary next is the AAC 2-channel down-mix and finally last is the 5.1 AC3 track. Maybe it's another setting I missed. If anyone knows of a way to change the order of tracks in a file any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I downloaded the beta for MP4Tools which worked in opening the .m4v file. From there it was just a matter of making a few selections to my custom preset a hitting convert.

My only complaint at this point is that in the resulting file, the audio tracks are reversed. I tested it with my Dazed and Confused BD, so the first track that plays is the AAC commentary next is the AAC 2-channel down-mix and finally last is the 5.1 AC3 track. Maybe it's another setting I missed. If anyone knows of a way to change the order of tracks in a file any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Open the file in Subler and drag the tracks into the order that you want. Not familiar enough with mp4tools to tell you if there is a way to do it there.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion I'll try that and see what I can come up with.

EmmGunn responded to my email about MP4Tools not opening .m4v files and suggested that I try the beta release. I'll do that too.

I'll see what happens and post my results.

Thanks again.

The beta should be preferred always, for any kind of conversion.

OsloBergen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Open the file in Subler and drag the tracks into the order that you want. Not familiar enough with mp4tools to tell you if there is a way to do it there.

I never had luck with .mkv files in Subler, so I never considered it. However, it worked great and did exactly what I needed.

Thanks for all the suggestions and helping me with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.