Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
That said, I hope videos are posted showing absolutely horrific less-than-EDGE speeds (without revealing that the tests were done inside a submarine), because, as I've frequently said, the fewer people who want one, the faster I'll get mine and/or the longer I have to notice they're for sale on the 13th before they sell out.

Er, what I meant to say is that, clearly, no one can find any location in the entire country where speeds are even remotely decent enough to post a video showing them. Hence, the N4 must suck horribly, and no one should consider buying one.

But but but but, what else am I going to complain about if you keep using your logics?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
The Nexus 4 seems good, but not great. The glass back (c'mon now) is prone to scratching and cracking, the battery life (despite no LTE) is either solid or weak, and there's issues with the CPU. No LTE, and you're stuck with 16 GB at most.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
The Nexus 4 seems good, but not great. The glass back (c'mon now) is prone to scratching and cracking, the battery life (despite no LTE) is either solid or weak, and there's issues with the CPU. No LTE, and you're stuck with 16 GB at most.

Z, how'd you get through two years of the iPhone 4/4S? How did anybody? Cases? Bumpers? C'mon now.

I was never an opponent of the iPhone 4 glass, and I still maintain that my white 4S had the prettiest back (not crazy about the front!). I'm happy glass is offering the Nexus line a much needed boost in premium build (I've always said it was time for it). It will be a problem for some, of course, who are prone to dropping phones.

Fair points, otherwise. But iPhone 4S and Macs have had battery issues too (not to mention Antennagate...), all fixed with software updates. Don't see why Google can't do the same. They've said they will, and that's pre-release.

100% regarding only 16GB storage. Big mistake. 32GB supposedly to come down the line with carrier specific Nexus 4's.

----------

Let's not forget this little number: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/0...ration-ipod-touch-with-rapid-diagonal-swipes/

Not that I think it's a major issue.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
That wouldn't surprise me. It would be a huge win for LG! It wouldn't cost them too much more since they already have the R&D in the Optimus G to lean on. It's just how much it will cost at the end of the day, that's the question. There's probably good demand for it and it is defiantly will make it stand out. I'm calling it: LG Optimus Nexus.

All that said, I'm still getting the HSPA+ version. I like LTE and all, but HSPA+ is good enough where ever I go in the Midwest.

Haha I like that name but I hope they leave nexus off!

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Z, how'd you get through two years of the iPhone 4/4S? How did anybody? Cases? Bumpers? C'mon now.

I was never an opponent of the iPhone 4 glass, and I still maintain that my white 4S had the prettiest back (not crazy about the front!). I'm happy glass is offering the Nexus line a much needed boost in premium build (I've always said it was time for it). It will be a problem for some, of course, who are prone to dropping phones.

Fair points, otherwise. But iPhone 4S and Macs have had battery issues too (not to mention Antennagate...), all fixed with software updates. Don't see why Google can't do the same. They've said they will, and that's pre-release.

100% regarding only 16GB storage. Big mistake. 32GB supposedly to come down the line with carrier specific Nexus 4's.

----------

Let's not forget this little number: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/0...ration-ipod-touch-with-rapid-diagonal-swipes/

Not that I think it's a major issue.

So for some reason the flaws I listed are mitigated because old Apple products had them too? Wat.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
So for some reason the flaws I listed are mitigated because old Apple products had them too? Wat.

I didn't back pedal on anything. Glass will be a problem for people who drop their phones. Why are you suddenly so vocal against glass?

I've said a number of times, it's imperative Google get carrier specific, subsidized, LTE versions out eventually.

The pre-release issues need to be sorted out by Google, and will be. The only difference is they discovered it before it reached consumer's hands. That's the opposite with Antennagate, iPhone 4S and Mac battery problems.

Where were you when the iPhone 4/4S had these flaws for two years?

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I didn't back pedal on anything. Glass will be a problem for people who drop their phones. Why are you suddenly so vocal against glass?

I've said a number of times, it's imperative Google get carrier specific, subsidized, LTE versions out eventually.

The pre-release issues need to be sorted out by Google, and will be. The only difference is they discovered it before it reached consumer's hands. That's the opposite with Antennagate, iPhone 4S and Mac battery problems.

You know the issues will be sorted out how? They're hardware issues.

I'm not vocal about glass, but it amuses me when you guys berate the 4/4S for fragility and yet extol this phone for "premium" build. Eh, everybody's a hypocrite I guess.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
You know the issues will be sorted out how? They're hardware issues.

I'm not vocal about glass, but it amuses me when you guys berate the 4/4S for fragility and yet extol this phone for "premium" build. Eh, everybody's a hypocrite I guess.

Well, then you aren't talking about me. I've said in my post and multiple times elsewhere that the back of my old iPhone 4S still remains the sleekest looking smartphone.

And you're not vocal about glass? You just highlighted it as a "flaw".

But it is amusing when people make excuses in favor of their loyalties, huh? You visit any iPad Mini threads yet? Amusement galore.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Should one upgrade from Galaxy Nexus to Nexus 4? http://www.androidcentral.com/should-i-upgrade-galaxy-nexus-versus-nexus-4

Spoiler alert: Yes.

nexus-front.jpg

nexus-rear.jpg

And I can't wait to pair Lightflow (now updated to 4.2): http://www.androidcentral.com/light-flow-updated-nexus-4-and-gmail-42-support

... with...

"LG and Google saw fit to give the Nexus 4 a full color notification LED"

nexusae0_lights2.jpg

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
"LG and Google saw fit to give the Nexus 4 a full color notification LED"

nexusae0_lights2.jpg
Damn it.

Now I need to buy 8 of them.

Edit: I meant to get through the day because of their pathetic batteries. These phones are trash. Don't buy them. At least until the 14th.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Damn it.

Now I need to buy 8 of them.

Edit: I meant to get through the day because of their pathetic batteries. These phones are trash. Don't buy them. At least until the 14th.

I know you want one on launch day, but now you're just getting greedy. :)

Last edited:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I know you want one on launch day, but now you're just getting greedy. :)
Greedy?

Not at all. It's pure selflessness. Every Nexus 4 that I buy is one less horrid device to be forced upon someone else. If I could, I'd... well...

*wipes tears from eyes*

...I'd buy them all. Just to keep them from hurting others.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Greedy?

Not at all. It's pure selflessness. Every Nexus 4 that I buy is one less horrid device to be forced upon someone else. If I could, I'd... well...

*wipes tears from eyes*

Please save one for me. Dont be a grinch

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
If anyone really hates carriers delaying updates to devices, you should be in full support of the Nexus 4 and what Google is trying to do.

But this anti-Google and anti-Android spirit fueled by Apple are blinding some, to the point where even if they aren't getting the Nexus 4, they'll sh** on it every chance they get.

All the while cursing the carriers for causing precisely the problems they dislike about Android.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Greedy?

*wipes tears from eyes*

When you order all of those Nexus 4's please send one or two to me. Thanks!

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010

I dont even see how glass back is an issue to you people here. iphone had it for 2 years. you keep a case on it you are gravy. As far as LTE i have yet to experience it so if i jump from my ip4 to the nexus 4 its an internet speed bump regardless.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I dont even see how glass back is an issue to you people here. iphone had it for 2 years. you keep a case on it you are gravy. As far as LTE i have yet to experience it so if i jump from my ip4 to the nexus 4 its an internet speed bump regardless.

It's 2012, LTE is soon to be the standard. And trust me, you won't realize what you're missing until you use LTE, it's the bomb.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Nope. No LTE where I live for at least 12 more months. Maybe 24. Probably 36.

It still doesn't excuse Google from excluding LTE on the phone. And 3 years until you get LTE coverage, where exactly do you live? I can't imagine a place where Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint won't have covered by 2015.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
It still doesn't excuse Google from excluding LTE on the phone. And 3 years until you get LTE coverage, where exactly do you live? I can't imagine a place where Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint won't have covered by 2015.

There is a world outside USA

^This. and not in a city.

Besides, HSPA+ is very cheap from a third party provider now.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
It's 2012, LTE is soon to be the standard.
It still doesn't excuse Google from excluding LTE on the phone.

I agree. It'll be interesting to see where and how Google will navigate this for future Nexus phones. I do hope they eventually release carrier specific CDMA/LTE Nexus 4's down the line for those who want it.

The way I see it possibly going down is:

An unlocked GSM Nexus once a year in Nov/December; while the carrier-specific Nexus come once a year around the Spring time. They're both on a yearly cycle. If they can pull this off, the Nexus smartphone program will do well. Once again, options.

For the moment, just going to quote Cynics here:

Nexus 4 is an unlocked Carrier free phone. So show me the "great" unlocked/carrier free CDMA iPhone 5....hint no such phone exist. I don't think you can get an unlocked iPhone 5 at all yet.

And the iPhone 5 LTE isn't supported in all countries now is it? You are setting the bar above Apples reach and wondering why Google isn't hurdling it.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Unless you think that's every country on the planet with LTE another hint, there is more then the USA. Technically the N4 supports more bands then any single iPhone.

----------

People have to understand that Google is approaching the smartphone business with a very different model. I'll say it again:

If anyone really hates carriers delaying updates to devices, you should be in full support of the Nexus 4 and what Google is trying to do, even if you're not going to purchase one.

But this anti-Google and anti-Android spirit fueled by Apple are blinding some, to the point where even if they aren't getting the Nexus 4, they'll sh** on it every chance they get.

All the while cursing the carriers for causing precisely the problems they dislike about Android.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
There are other places than big cities. There are those who live in rural spots. The place where I really need to be on cell data is in the middle of no where Michigan and they just got HSPA+ a few months ago. Even Sprint is 2g only.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
It's 2012, LTE is soon to be the standard. And trust me, you won't realize what you're missing until you use LTE, it's the bomb.

im sure it is but i have yet to be spoiled on it, so i think another year of development under it by the time i upgrade again isnt going to kill me. 3g has been fast enough for my needs. Hell the app store wont let you download anything over 20mb from it anyway. i watch a few youtube vids and browse. HSPA has more then enough horse power to keep me riding through the night!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.