Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Imola Ghost
macrumors 65816

iPhone 5 screen darkens on its own?

I've got a iPhone 5 that I've had since launch day. I've noticed that the screen stays dark even after I wake it up.

I keep my screen brightness all the way up however every now and then once I wake it up the screen will stay darker. I'll usually have to hit the sleep button to get it to brighten up where it should be.

Anyone else?
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:54 PM   #2
intofx
macrumors member

Do you have auto brightness checked on?
intofx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:14 AM   #3
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
I've got a iPhone 5 that I've had since launch day. I've noticed that the screen stays dark even after I wake it up.

I keep my screen brightness all the way up however every now and then once I wake it up the screen will stay darker. I'll usually have to hit the sleep button to get it to brighten up where it should be.

Anyone else?
Yes, every once in awhile my phone does that too. Usually happens right before phone goes to sleep. Phone will dim, and if I catch it at the right moment and hit home button, screen will remain dim and then I have to hit sleep button to turn off and on the screen. Otherwise a perfect phone.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:45 AM   #4
sandwicher
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
Yes, every once in awhile my phone does that too. Usually happens right before phone goes to sleep. Phone will dim, and if I catch it at the right moment and hit home button, screen will remain dim and then I have to hit sleep button to turn off and on the screen. Otherwise a perfect phone.
Because "Auto screen lock" was selected. This dimming won't occur if Auto lock function was set to "never".

Has been an iOS feature since... i don't know when. haha!
sandwicher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:55 AM   #5
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwicher View Post
Because "Auto screen lock" was selected. This dimming won't occur if Auto lock function was set to "never".

Has been an iOS feature since... i don't know when. haha!
I understand that. But with my phone, as phone goes dim, not dark, and i touch home buttom just as it goes dim, screen remains dim, even using apps. I have to push sleep button off then on again to brighten screen back up.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:02 AM   #6
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

auto-brightness or auto-lock
Take your pick, both have been around since like... the dawn of time.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:28 PM   #7
lelisa13p
macrumors 65832

Try calibrating your Auto-Brightness. In Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper, set slider in a normally lit room, a very dark room and outdoors. Auto-Brightness should remember your choices and adjust accordingly.

If you have a glitch, that might work it out.
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

I exactly know what your talking about, it only has happened to me 2-3 times..happens very rarely and really does not bother me. Just a simple push of the sleep button works and thats it.
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:19 PM   #9
mbookpro
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post

Anyone else?
Ive got a iPhone 5 too same issue