Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I have had my iPhone 5 about a week. And so far, the games that I've had that do actually take full advantage of the screen, have been brilliant.

I have been playing on here so much, I had completely forgotten I have an iPad.
Has anyone else had This happen? I just always grab my phone before I grab it. I'm considering selling it to a friend.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Yup. That's precisely why I got rid of my iPad. Never used it - too much overlap with my incredible iPhone 5. And my iPhone can go everywhere with me. Even if I got a mini, it still wouldn't be nearly as portable as my iPhone.

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
England
H Unless you have a specific use for it that can't be done on an iPhone, it's redundant.

Huh? I use my iPad for hours on end doing pretty much everything that can be done on my iPhone but it's impractical 'cause of the screen size. That's pretty much the only reason anyone's ever bought an iPad instead of just using their iPhone as you seem to be suggesting.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I love my iPhone 5 but I prefer to use my iPad for web browsing and games when at home. I do use the 5 more than the 4s but I would never stop using my iPad. It works perfect for everything I need. I will probably upgrade next year to the iPad 5 or iPad mini 2 and sell my iPad 3 but I can't imagine being without an iPad. I like it better than any laptop or computer I have ever had.

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
Unfortunately I find myself using just about everything instead of my iPad, for whatever reason I still prefer my macbook even for web browsing

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
While I love my iPhone5 I still prefer the larger screen of my iPad when at home.
Even photos are better seen on the larger iPad screen.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Huh? I use my iPad for hours on end doing pretty much everything that can be done on my iPhone but it's impractical 'cause of the screen size. That's pretty much the only reason anyone's ever bought an iPad instead of just using their iPhone as you seem to be suggesting.

Actually, many people buy into the hype only to find out they bought it for the wrong reason. Yes, iPads have their use and in fact, my wife has one that she uses all the time for work instead of her laptop. Personally, the work I do (Illustrator, etc.) can't be done on an iPhone or iPad anyway.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Sell it. This what I did. I have a MacBook Air and iPad took away time from the air or iPhone. Now I have a good balance with my iPhone 5 and air.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
A lot will depend on what your main computer is.

For example, I have a 27" ACD on my Mac Pro, an iPad2 and an iPhone5. The MP gets used for gaming, work and prolonged browsing with multiple tabs. The iPad is by far the most comfortable device for eBooks and casual browsing but the phone will be used most for quick browsing and the large majority of my Game Apps.

If, like evorc, you have a laptop then your iPad is sort of without a real purpose now. Put it aside for a short while - out of reach - and if you don't miss it, consider a clean up, full reset and rebox it and let it go.

End of the day, if you make a mistake, you could always get another (or an iPad mini) of the latest generation.

SunnyStudioNeo

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
I have had my iPhone 5 about a week. And so far, the games that I've had that do actually take full advantage of the screen, have been brilliant.

I have been playing on here so much, I had completely forgotten I have an iPad.
Has anyone else had This happen? I just always grab my phone before I grab it. I'm considering selling it to a friend.

For some big games like Infinity Blade, iPad is still the platform to go; but for most tasks, I'd prefer iPhone or iPad Mini.

IMO 5-7 inch devices are going to be dominating in the next few years.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Got rid of my iPad 3 for that same reason. Whenever I needed to look something up, I would always reach for my iphone. Just more convenient and easier.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I mostly use my MacBook for long browsing sessions. iPad for medium browsing sections/RSS feeds/Reading. iPhone for something really quick like seeing what time a movie starts.

jkauff

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
I don't do any traveling to speak of, other than spending a lot of time in the car commuting, so I wouldn't buy an iPad. I didn't think I needed a smartphone until I bought my iPhone 5, but I've grown very accustomed to having this beautiful little computer with me at all times. The company I'm working for strictly limits internet access for non-work purposes, but now when I have free time I can keep up with what's happening on Facebook and my favorite newsgroups, even watch part of a movie during my lunch break. Properly formatted ebooks look just fine on this screen--I read a couple when we were without power after Sandy. Thanks to the Splashtop app, I can even access my home desktop when I need to. I can't imagine lugging around an iPad or a laptop when I've got this thin, lightweight gem tucked into my shirt pocket.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
While I love my iPhone5 I still prefer the larger screen of my iPad when at home.

this is where my ipad comes in. don't get me wrong having the iPhone 5 in the car or at work or anywhere out and about is great,but at home using any iPad with retina is a much better experience.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Hence why I've never gotten an iPad in the first place. Unless you have a specific use for it that can't be done on an iPhone, it's redundant.

I can drive 500 miles on a bicycle instead of taking the car. Doesn't mean it's necessarily the better option.

iPad and iPhone both have their uses. For me, all of the things you can do on an iPhone are enhanced on an iPad due to the screen size. Add in the fact that using the iPad can help you save the battery a bit on the iPhone and it all adds up to a very useful product.

I think far too often we look for a one size fits all solution to our tech needs. The rise of devices like Samsung's Note shows there's even a market for it. But a jack of all trades tends to be a master of none.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I can drive 500 miles on a bicycle instead of taking the car. Doesn't mean it's necessarily the better option.

iPad and iPhone both have their uses. For me, all of the things you can do on an iPhone are enhanced on an iPad due to the screen size. Add in the fact that using the iPad can help you save the battery a bit on the iPhone and it all adds up to a very useful product.

Which is my I use my iMac if I want to do something substantial. Ditto for those who'd rather use their Air. It's not like we don't have any other options beside the iPhone if we want a bigger screen.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Depends on your usage. For me, the iPad is a always hand full sized computer with all my documents for work. I use it extensively for reading and doing my work. Tasks like such can be done on the iPhone, but are much harder due to the screen size.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california

same here! I will say though that before I got the 5, I was taking my iPad with me to work everyday but now I leave it at home and just carry the 5 with me everywhere. I love them both!

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I always use my MacBook for harder tasks. I literally only have been using my iPad for Netflix the past few weeks. I'm getting an Apple TV next week so that'll make it even more unused.

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Same thing here. I don't touch my iPad 2 anymore outside of work because the iPhone 5 is so fast.

What sucks is I still use my iPad at work so I must hold on to it. Were it not for work, I would have sold it weeks ago. I've been really curious about the 4th gen iPad with LTE. If it's as responsive and fast as the iPhone 5, I might cave and pick up a new iPad. I'm such an Apple whore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.