Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:29 PM   #26
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeTheSwitch View Post
As someone else said, there is this little invention we have now, called email. I assume that if they were out in the field doing work, that they were being guided by daily emails. This would have been just another one of those directives.
Quote:
Dear valued campaign worker:

Unfortunately, things didn't go our way tonight. As we discussed, the campaign cards you have been using to pay for travel, fuel, etc. are going to be cancelled effective at 3 a.m. this morning. Please keep track of any campaign related expenses you might incur and forward them to Betty in finance.

Again, thank you for your hard work. Please don't give up hope. We have another Congressional election in only 2 years.

Mitt Romney
by Bob Smith, campaign manager
That would have been better than nothing. (edit) I spent exactly 3 minutes typing that... They could have done something better than what they did.
mcrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:07 AM   #27
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Dems won the election, you don't have to start the attack propaganda until about 2 years before the next election. Romney didn't win, find a new hobby or do something constructive.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:00 AM   #28
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
Dems won the election, you don't have to start the attack propaganda until about 2 years before the next election. Romney didn't win, find a new hobby or do something constructive.
Actually, this isn't 'attack propaganda'. Rather, it is a thread which is discussing an action which throws an extraordinarily revealing light on the attitudes and behaviour displayed by Mr Romney.

When a man shows such clear disrespect to those who have worked for them (which serves to reinforce his message of utter contempt for the vast sections of the electorate he alienated), it is very telling of his outlook and attitudes.

Much was made of Mr Romney's wealth (and how this showed how aware he was of the needs of the market and how sound he was on financial matters). It was clear that he revelled in his wealth, remember his crass boast at a rally that his wife 'drove several Cadillacs'?

Wealth isn't everything, even in the Republican Party. Seriously, I cannot imagine the 'old grandees' of the Republican Party - people such as George Bush senior, or Dwight Eisenhower, ever treating their hard-working staff in this way.

Oddly enough, to my mind, what this campaign and its aftermath showed most clearly was the simple fact that both Romneys failed the test put up by the election campaign and its aftermath as paid up members of the human race, and as citizens. When one takes their stated policies and preferences, their utterances and behaviour, their platform and perspectives into account, I find myself wondering who they consider worthy of simple respect. Not Barack Obama (who they agreed - and said in public - was 'not mature', a term that carries a nasty and offensive hint of historical baggage), not the many sections of the electorate they managed to insult and alienate so comprehensively (once more, that list comprises women, gays, blacks, Latinos and so on), and now, not even their own staff. So, faced with that long and dismal litany, I wonder just who do they regard as worthy of being treated with respect?

It could be a matter of competence, but I doubt it. It is more to do with a lack of manners, courtesy and basic human decency. This is a world - thankfully rejected this past week - where you do not feel obliged to treat those whom you do not see as equals with respect.

Of course, these days, one has access to texts, email, not to mention Twitter and FB. If they couldn't get a message out to their own staff on time telling them that campaign credit cards would be terminated by a certain time, then it augurs very ill indeed for any sort of bureaucratic or organisational competence had Mitt Romney actually won the election and formed an administration. Most of all it makes a mockery of that much abused cliché - piously - and almost invariably mendaciously invoked by businesses across the globe - 'our greatest asset are our people'. When he behaves in such a way to his own staff, it is clear that Mitt Romney doesn't actually believe this.
Scepticalscribe is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:20 AM   #29
glocke12
Banned

I highly doubt Romney made the decision to cancel the cards..

He is also taking steps to help people find jobs:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/09/us...politics&_r=1&

"His No. 1 priority, so far: establishing a system to organize the 400 résumés of those staff members whose paychecks will run out in 21 days.
"
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:14 AM   #30
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
I highly doubt Romney made the decision to cancel the cards..

He is also taking steps to help people find jobs:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/09/us...politics&_r=1&

"His No. 1 priority, so far: establishing a system to organize the 400 résumés of those staff members whose paychecks will run out in 21 days.
"
That was a major puff piece. The NYT has never seen Romney in a good light but it sure didn't hurt them to throw a bone his way.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:00 AM   #31
quasinormal
Banned

While i am relieved the Democrats won, I wish the Mitt bashing would stop.
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:02 PM   #32
vega07
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasinormal View Post
While i am relieved the Democrats won, I wish the Mitt bashing would stop.
I wouldn't call this bashing. This incidence is symbolic of an America that Romney would create -- he'll screw you over if he can. Consider Americans very lucky, for having dodge a bullet. I'd like for someone to come out and repudiate this story because his campaign staff didn't deserve that, but knowing the kind of person Romney is, the pathological tax-evader (read: cheap and stingy), it all makes sense.
vega07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues