Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrk100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
I have an AppleTV, an iPad 2, and the new iPad ("4") with Retina Display.

Using Handbrake, I have been creating 4 different versions of the DVD movie I am ripping via the presets:

iPad
AppleTV
AppleTV 2
AppleTV 3

Is there any advantage to having all 4 versions of a movie? Or do you think I should stop creating every AppleTV version? Since I have the original AppleTV, will I run into any backwards compatibility issues if I discontinue ripping from one of the AppleTV presets mentioned above?

I figure that the iPad version at least saves me some space on my iPads...

Thank you in advance.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I have an AppleTV, an iPad 2, and the new iPad ("4") with Retina Display.

Using Handbrake, I have been creating 4 different versions of the DVD movie I am ripping via the presets:

iPad
AppleTV
AppleTV 2
AppleTV 3

Is there any advantage to having all 4 versions of a movie? Or do you think I should stop creating every AppleTV version? Since I have the original AppleTV, will I run into any backwards compatibility issues if I discontinue ripping from one of the AppleTV presets mentioned above?

I figure that the iPad version at least saves me some space on my iPads...

Thank you in advance.

The only aTV preset you need to use is AppleTV 3. And that can even be used for the iPad. Like you said, it just means few movies able to be physically loaded onto the iPad.

Now that I think about it, I am not sure about the original aTV compatibility. Anyone else know?

Last edited:

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
Now that I think about it, I am not sure about the original aTV compatibility. Anyone else know?

When I was running an ATV1, I had to use the ATV preset for compatibility across all my iDevices (as the the ATV2 preset would render the files unplayable). I can't see the ATV3 preset changing that.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but yesterday and today I've been ripping some of my DVD's with the ATV3 settings and they play just fine on the iMac, ATV3 and ATV2.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
I encode all HD content with the ATV3 preset (most 720p iDevices will downscale) and all SD with Universal. Some would argue for doing SD with ATV2, but I value device compatibility over the barely perceivable quality difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.