Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:09 AM   #26
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
so it's unanimous that the speeds are slow? What about Vodafone, Orange, T-Mobile, O2, ?
lol?
EE is orange and t-mobile..

o2/vodafone are the same company merged now.. neither have lte..
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:21 AM   #27
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
lol?
EE is orange and t-mobile..

I don't live in the UK so I don't know.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:25 AM   #28
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
I don't live in the UK so I don't know.
neither do i
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:32 AM   #29
fat jez
macrumors 65816

Quote:
lol?

No they're not. O2 and Vodafone are separate companies who have formed an agreement to share their 3G network, similar to the arrangement EE and 3 have.
fat jez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:40 AM   #30
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat jez View Post
No they're not. O2 and Vodafone are separate companies who have formed an agreement to share their 3G network, similar to the arrangement EE and 3 have.
the infrastructure is the same now. they merged the network.. the entire point is they offer the same network.. and will offer lte under cti right?
just like t-mo and orange did right? with EE
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:56 AM   #31
fat jez
macrumors 65816

Quote:
the infrastructure is the same now. they merged the network.. the entire point is they offer the same network.. and will offer lte under cti right?
just like t-mo and orange did right? with EE
the same radio network, not the same core network. Big difference.

EE was a parent company set up by France Telecom and Deutsche Telecom to run Orange and T-Mobile as a totally merged company in the UK, all the way down to customer services, IT infrastructure, switches, voicemail systems and so on. None of which is shared by Vodafone and O2.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:00 AM   #32
iMatt.
macrumors regular

Can't seem to send texts today? Any ideas? Was working fine yesterday.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:48 AM   #33
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
the same radio network, not the same core network. Big difference.

EE was a parent company set up by France Telecom and Deutsche Telecom to run Orange and T-Mobile as a totally merged company in the UK, all the way down to customer services, IT infrastructure, switches, voicemail systems and so on. None of which is shared by Vodafone and O2.
right well we were really talking about LTE coverage.. point being LTE coverage will be the same on the two.. since their network is merged and being managed and built by cti now
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:53 AM   #34
VulchR
macrumors 68000

All I know is that LTE seems less and less relevant to me because WiFi is available at virtually all of the locations where I really need quick access. I don't really need LTE so I'm happy to wait for the networks to grow some more before upgrading..
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:26 PM   #35
dancarney
macrumors newbie

I'm unconvinced that EE is worth the money. I currently get through c. 1.5GB per week of data and Three are thus far providing an excellent service.

dancarney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:52 PM   #36
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

Quote:
so it's unanimous that the speeds are slow? What about Vodafone, Orange, T-Mobile, O2, ?
Sadly vodafone won't have it till the next iphone..
The Game 161 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:02 PM   #37
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game 161 View Post
Sadly vodafone won't have it till the next iphone..
sheesh the UK is moving slow with this 4G stuff. The US has had it 2 years now. Verizon having it almost everywehere now.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:05 PM   #38
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

Quote:
sheesh the UK is moving slow with this 4G stuff. The US has had it 2 years now. Verizon having it almost everywehere now.
Yeah sucks

I would of switched from vodafone to orange to get it but my city won't have it anytime soon...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:40 PM   #39
Phazer
macrumors member

Do you actually pay more for EE LTE?
Those speeds look very low to me, definitely not 4G material.
I'm on 3 with iPhone 5, the one plan and living in Camden Town, so central London and am constantly getting this speed on 3G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	376450  
Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:15 PM   #40
RamboRab
macrumors regular

I'm on the T-Mobile Full Monty Plan. Was going to go to EE but the data allowances are terrible.

I'm very glad I haven't switched, especially when I'm getting these 3G speeds:
RamboRab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:26 PM   #41
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

highest 3G speeds i ever got here is around 3-5 Mbps
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:14 PM   #42
kaibex
macrumors 6502

This is a lot higher than the average result.

Does make me laugh how people expect O2, Vodafone, 3 to come out much cheaper than EE. "500MB on 4G, blah blah blah" easy solution go on higher plan.

Maybe 3 will try to undercut as always, but anyone holding out for unlimited data on LTE with 3 for even 40 will be mistaken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	376611  
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:59 PM   #43
Mr.C
macrumors 68020

It looks like the SIM only deals have been delayed by a couple of weeks with no new launch date. It's quite annoying.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:47 AM   #44
declandio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game 161 View Post
Yeah sucks

I would of switched from vodafone to orange to get it but my city won't have it anytime soon...
Sorry, I know it's not the objective of this thread, but;

I don't see why people care. It's expensive and the data allowances are terrible.

I'm regularly getting 10+Mbps on O2 3g (sometimes more, but appreciate that it's location dependant). With speeds like that, and given that I still have an original unlimited data plan, there's no way I'd consider EE.

What do you do with your phones that you require such blistering wireless speeds? If it's to use a tethered modem then I can understand (but they'll fleece you on data still). Loading mobile webpages 0.0001 seconds faster? Even when my phone is crawling along at 3-5 Mbps, it's plenty fast for everyday usage; webpages load instantly, emails send instantly, everything is more or less instant.

Seems to me that peoples main concern is bragging rights with their screenshots on forums like this.

In your day-to-day life, is 4G actually beneficial and worth the massive cost that EE is charging for it?
declandio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:05 AM   #45
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

you UK users should be glad >_> us 3G speeds are terrrible compared to yours but our LTE makes up for it... slightly. Us Verizon users have slow 3G and mid-range LTE. AT&T users have fast 3g and fast LTE if you have coverage
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:06 AM   #46
fat jez
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by declandio View Post
In your day-to-day life, is 4G actually beneficial and worth the massive cost that EE is charging for it?
5 a month extra is a massive cost? Some of us enjoy being on the bleeding edge of technology.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:12 AM   #47
declandio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
5 a month extra is a massive cost? Some of us enjoy being on the bleeding edge of technology.
5 extra depending on what tariff you were on before I guess. Enjoy your life on the bleeding edge.
declandio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:46 AM   #48
Mercenary
macrumors 6502a

Speeds will go down as more and more people use their 4G masts. For now your probably the one person using the mast so yes, 50mbps is expected. Once more switch your going to his the 8-12mbps they quote on their website.

Enjoy your pitiful data allowance for a lot more money
Mercenary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:01 PM   #49
Mr.C
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by declandio View Post
Sorry, I know it's not the objective of this thread, but;

I don't see why people care. It's expensive and the data allowances are terrible.

I'm regularly getting 10+Mbps on O2 3g (sometimes more, but appreciate that it's location dependant). With speeds like that, and given that I still have an original unlimited data plan, there's no way I'd consider EE.

What do you do with your phones that you require such blistering wireless speeds? If it's to use a tethered modem then I can understand (but they'll fleece you on data still). Loading mobile webpages 0.0001 seconds faster? Even when my phone is crawling along at 3-5 Mbps, it's plenty fast for everyday usage; webpages load instantly, emails send instantly, everything is more or less instant.

Seems to me that peoples main concern is bragging rights with their screenshots on forums like this.

Seems to me maybe your someone who can't afford 4G LTE and therefore have to justify why you don't want to get it. However what you and a lot of other people seem to forget that speeds vary for everyone even on the same network depending on where they are.

I'm on O2 currently and here in London I get very poor coverage especially at home and at work. My typical download speeds are around 2-3 Mbps. You're lucky if you can get things like web pages, emails etc. load instantly because I can't. Sure I could move to another network on 3G with unlimited data and maybe cost less. That said 4G makes a big difference not only to data natively but also to faster 3G speeds and better 3G signals too. Yes EE is expensive for what you get as they've got no competition but in my opinion its still worth it.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with bragging rights and everything to do with a far better user experience. I don't what speeds I will get but if I can get 20-50 Mbps that's going to be much better then I would get on 3G. I really don't want to switch to a network like Three even though a lot of people seem to swear by them as they have poor customer service and there coverage where I am is poor as well. I'm willing to try EE 4G LTE service even if its for 12 months as it would be SIM only for me so not that expensive.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:10 PM   #50
chriscl
macrumors 6502

In the UK, outside of major population centres, data speeds can sometimes be poor.

I live six miles from the centre of Nottingham, a large city in the UK. Where I live, 3G speeds are 'OK', and nothing better - on a good day, I might get 1MBps download and that's about it (Orange UK, at the moment).

To be honest, that's enough, as I'm usually within reach of wireless at home and at work (even in my local pub) so I really only use a 3G signal outdoors.

Nottingham is scheduled to get "4G" from EE before the end of this year; but, as noted above, they are charging a premium for the service and the data allowances are very small (the base offering is 500MB/month, half what I currently get on 3G, and they want another 10/month for that).

As one poster posted earlier; if you want to be on the leading-edge of technology, you've got to pay for it.

In the UK, I'm going to wait and see how the other players move into the "4G" market - yes it would be nice to have faster mobile data, but its not killing me not to have it at the moment, and although I could get it, I'm happy to wait until competition does what competition usually does, and drive prices down, and value up!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone