Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
will an unlocked Galaxy S3 ( Verizon) work with any GSM network and still get LTE? or no such thing

I thought Verizon phones are all CDMA

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
will an unlocked Galaxy S3 ( Verizon) work with any GSM network and still get LTE? or no such thing

I thought Verizon phones are all CDMA

GSM arena says it won't work on any GSM network worldwide.

Screen Shot 2012-11-10 at 23.58.01.png

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_i535-4799.php

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
so it will work?

On LTE, I have no idea. If the sim is unlocked then it will atleast work on gsm. I have to look up if its unlocked. Almost every verizon lte phone has had an unlocked gsm sim.

Edit: Just checked, the sim is in fact unlocked. You can use gsm sims in it without issue. I am not sure what the deal with lte is though.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
On LTE, I have no idea. If the sim is unlocked then it will atleast work on gsm. I have to look up if its unlocked. Almost every verizon lte phone has had an unlocked gsm sim.

Edit: Just checked, the sim is in fact unlocked. You can use gsm sims in it without issue. I am not sure what the deal with lte is though.

I just passed on a verizon LTE GS3 for 265 bucks MINT
I tried my sim and it didn't work, the owner said it was unlocked but the phone was reset so maybe the unlock was lost

I might be lucky if I can get it tomorrow

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
I just passed on a verizon LTE GS3 for 265 bucks MINT
I tried my sim and it didn't work, the owner said it was unlocked but the phone was reset so maybe the unlock was lost

I might be lucky if I can get it tomorrow

I think you're better off asking Verizon directly and making sure.

I don't think phones "reset" by the owner (Android reset?) looses unlocking. It just sounds highly improbable. Also, look at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Which "gsm" LTE network are you trying to access? Although AT&T has the same frequency as Verizon, it's in a different class (whatever that means). LTE has not been standardized anywhere in the world, and certainly not amongst US carriers. Each carrier has specific hardware associated to their LTE networks (or else the Nexus 4 would have LTE for sure).

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The gsm functionality will be enabled in the jellybean update officially. I am pretty sure you can already do it unofficially with root but verizon has said they are officially adding it in the next update. They did the same thing with the razr and the rezound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.