Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Looks like Spigen has a third Neo Hybrid EX series out, called Metal. Seems to be an attempt at metallic colours, including a satin silver and slate that match the original antenna design of both the white and black iPhone 5. There's also a metal blue and metal pink. Same price as usual, $31.99 with all the goodies included.

I think this may very well be the best bumper for those looking to preserve the design of the iPhone whilst adding some protection. Just ordered my Metal Slate, hopefully it's a great case!

Koebot

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
I see they moved the silver from the snow series and call it metal now. I'd like to see real metal instead of plastic.

Last edited:

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I'd like to see metal too, but this looks decent for what's available. Post some pics when you get it, maybe some dimensions too? The cheap bumper I have now is about as thick as the neo hybrid Snow that I had for my 4. Looking for something that keeps the slimness of the 5 if I can.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I'd like to see metal too, but this looks decent for what's available. Post some pics when you get it, maybe some dimensions too? The cheap bumper I have now is about as thick as the neo hybrid Snow that I had for my 4. Looking for something that keeps the slimness of the 5 if I can.

Any comments about whether the white rubber is gonna get dirty/yellow very easily? It's quite a bit stopping me from getting the Satin Silver one.

Hicks.

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
UK
Any comments about whether the white rubber is gonna get dirty/yellow very easily? It's quite a bit stopping me from getting the Satin Silver one.

I've had the snow one on my iPhone 5 a few weeks now and I can confirm that the white doesn't discolour. It's like a shiny sealed rubber if that makes sense. It's been in and out of jeans and other trousers and there is no discolouration.

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
Wish they would sell the plastic part separate. I already have the Neo Hybrid EX in the satin silver. I love it! But I would really like to get the pink metallic without buying the whole thing all over again.

To the PP that was worried about staining on the white silicone. It does not stain. It's coated with something to stop that. I had an otterbox commuter with white silicone and stained horribly in just a few days. I've had the Spigen for two weeks and there is not even a hint of staining from makeup, jeans, purse, etc.

DaveWonders

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
I just bit the bullet and bought one. I have a ProClip mount for my iPhone 4 w/bumper in my car. My hope is that the iP5 with this case will fit in the groove and I won't have to change the mount. Losing a little bit of thinness is a fair trade off.

Also, since the Satin Silver moved over to the "metal" line, I wonder if this was the Gun Metal color that has been listed with the Soul Black and Yellow.

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008

Contrary to what others have said I did have some issues with discoloring. They may have changed their "formula" since I got mine though. It's not terrible but it hasn't stayed the nice clean white that it started out as. I can take some pictures if you'd like, but I don't have a new one to compare it to, and it would be with my 5 so I'm not sure it would be very helpful. Overall though, even though it discolors a little, it's still holds its white better than most white cases do.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Contrary to what others have said I did have some issues with discoloring. They may have changed their "formula" since I got mine though. It's not terrible but it hasn't stayed the nice clean white that it started out as. I can take some pictures if you'd like, but I don't have a new one to compare it to, and it would be with my 5 so I'm not sure it would be very helpful. Overall though, even though it discolors a little, it's still holds its white better than most white cases do.

Ah I see i see! Yes maybe you'd like to provide some pictures!

Slightly later adopters - you think there has been a change in their "formula"?

GiRARDsays

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
San Diego, CA
Looks like Spigen has a third Neo Hybrid EX series out, called Metal. Seems to be an attempt at metallic colours, including a satin silver and slate that match the original antenna design of both the white and black iPhone 5. There's also a metal blue and metal pink. Same price as usual, $31.99 with all the goodies included.

I think this may very well be the best bumper for those looking to preserve the design of the iPhone whilst adding some protection. Just ordered my Metal Slate, hopefully it's a great case!

Please post pictures when you get it! I'm curious how well the Metal Slate matches with the Black/Slate iPhone 5.

Hicks.

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
UK
Ah I see i see! Yes maybe you'd like to provide some pictures!

Slightly later adopters - you think there has been a change in their "formula"?

I was one of the first to get the bumper and mine is OK. YMMV

ChakaChaka

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I just bit the bullet and bought one. I have a ProClip mount for my iPhone 4 w/bumper in my car. My hope is that the iP5 with this case will fit in the groove and I won't have to change the mount. Losing a little bit of thinness is a fair trade off.

Also, since the Satin Silver moved over to the "metal" line, I wonder if this was the Gun Metal color that has been listed with the Soul Black and Yellow.

I have the same proclip mount as you. It will be a really tight fit with this bumper. Tight enough where I don't want to use it cause it becomes a pain to mount and remove

Jackson743

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
I've had the satin silver with white silicone insert and I've not experienced any discoloring.

DaveWonders

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
I have the same proclip mount as you. It will be a really tight fit with this bumper. Tight enough where I don't want to use it cause it becomes a pain to mount and remove

So the sgp case on a 5 is thicker than the apple bumper for the 4? That blows.

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Omg! I've been waiting forever for the pink one to come out! Gotta have this with the aluminum home button sticker! I'll try to post pictures of it when I receive them as well~ :D

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
I have always liked SGP (now SPIGEN) and owned several Neo/Neo Hybrid cases for my 4 and 4s. I have to say though, the metal looks like a really nice case, but those side buttons have to go. They make the case look cheap, which is a shame. Plus, making the bumper thicker was a way to alleviate the case from snapping on the bottom, which plagued the previous gen 4/4s cases. Unfortunately, they decided to just carry over to the 5 form factor which bulks up the svelte feel of the 5.

Samz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008

I've heard from Spigen on Facebook that the slate metal is a new colour, designed to mimic the look of the original hardware. Gunmetal will still be coming out, but it will be a more brownish colour than the slate. A bit confusing all in all, I suspect they may move gunmetal over to the metal series once it is stocked.

DaveWonders

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Just got my slate model in the mail. I have mixed feelings.

First, the color is pretty close. Depends on the lighting, but it's exactly what I was looking for in regards to looking like the original slate band.

But I'm surprised by the bulk this thing adds. A poster above warned me and sure enough he was correct. I was worried about the thickness from front to back but never thought about the width it adds left to right and top to bottom. I have an iPhone 4 in a bumper and they are almost the same thickness from front to back but the Neo Hybrid is wayyyy wider on the sides. It will definitely not work with my car mount :/

Also, not crazy about the rubber buttons and because the case is so thick on the sides the depth of the cutout for the silent switch is deeeeeeep.

I think I might eventually replace this guy when the cheap factories perfect the copy of the Apple bumper for the 5...in a color I like (I HATE those clear ones, ughhhh).

Also - I don't really feel like taking or posting pics. The color is probably as close to the aluminum as you can get. Any difference in color is the difference in how the plastic reflects light, etc. And there's tons of pics of Neo Hybrids in other colors. I'm happy to answer any questions though.

ChakaChaka

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Just got my slate model in the mail. I have mixed feelings.

First, the color is pretty close. Depends on the lighting, but it's exactly what I was looking for in regards to looking like the original slate band.

But I'm surprised by the bulk this thing adds. A poster above warned me and sure enough he was correct. I was worried about the thickness from front to back but never thought about the width it adds left to right and top to bottom. I have an iPhone 4 in a bumper and they are almost the same thickness from front to back but the Neo Hybrid is wayyyy wider on the sides. It will definitely not work with my car mount :/

Also, not crazy about the rubber buttons and because the case is so thick on the sides the depth of the cutout for the silent switch is deeeeeeep.

I think I might eventually replace this guy when the cheap factories perfect the copy of the Apple bumper for the 5...in a color I like (I HATE those clear ones, ughhhh).

Also - I don't really feel like taking or posting pics. The color is probably as close to the aluminum as you can get. Any difference in color is the difference in how the plastic reflects light, etc. And there's tons of pics of Neo Hybrids in other colors. I'm happy to answer any questions though.

The rubber buttons are a good thing. If you think about it, the iphone 4/4s had unannodized metal volume buttons. When the metal buttons from the bumper made contact with the buttons on the 4/4s there's no color to rub off.

The iphone 5 has no raw or polished metal parts (black version) everything is annodized. any contact the phone makes with a hard surface will result in the potential of scratches or color wearing off, especially a moving part such as the volume buttons. The inside rubber piece also protects the chamfered edge very well.

My proclip adjustable mount for my old 3GS fits this case perfectly. If you have one give it a sot.

Attached is slate metal pic...it's taken from an iPad so real bad quality

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 531

DaveWonders

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
I've actually warmed up to the rubber buttons. I installed the back protectors and took them off within 3 hours. Constant peeling from the case at the edges. I also did a wet install and still got the halo around the Apple and iPhone text. I did like the feel of the matte piece though.

I'm still debating whether I should search for another case that fits my current car mount or bite the bullet and buy that $79 Proclip mount.

Last edited:

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

I've had the satin silver one for a good two weeks or so on my white iPhone 5 and it does look a little yellower than the first day putting it on, especially when put up to the light and comparing against the white panels on the phone. I still love the bumper and it does what it was intended for, but if it does get any more yellow, I might replace it as I got it to compliment my phone, not contrast it.

Time will tell.

bmwman3241

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Looks like they released the Gunmetal today. I would like to see a side-by-side of the Metal Slate and Gunmetal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.