Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnificent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Hi! I'm using my iphone 5 that I got from verizon on tmobile because its "factory unlocked from the box" :eek: well, if I update to ios 6.0.1 would it lock to verizon? Thanks!

johnificent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Ok :) I wasn't sure because I put my imei in a website where you can check your unlock status and it told me it was locked, not sure if it was accurate though!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ok :) I wasn't sure because I put my imei in a website where you can check your unlock status and it told me it was locked, not sure if it was accurate though!

Those are usually for GSM iphones.
The verizon iphone 5 is forever unlocked and sold unlocked and will never lock.
I dont know why people bother checking the imei sites. All you have to do is stick your sim and you will know in seconds.

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
Can the iphone 5 OTA update from 6.0 to 6.0.1? I heard that the OTA system on 6.0 for iphone 5 has a bug and cannot do it!

Go to the OTA update page and hit learn more. It installs a tiny app that you run. It disappears and then you can go into settings and install OTA.

OTA means wifi, unfortunately.

johnificent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
My aunt actually had a verizon contract and her 2 year contract ended and she could upgrade, but she didn't want to give up her current phone, but she got an iPhone 5 anyways. She DIDE activate the sim it came with and verizon was fine with us keeping the iPhone and she could keep her phone and her current contract, so, the iPhone was given to me and it was unlocked :D

macman312

macrumors 6502
My aunt actually had a verizon contract and her 2 year contract ended and she could upgrade, but she didn't want to give up her current phone, but she got an iPhone 5 anyways. She DIDE activate the sim it came with and verizon was fine with us keeping the iPhone and she could keep her phone and her current contract, so, the iPhone was given to me and it was unlocked :D

Thanks for that

luckyarcher

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
Once the phone is activated, would it need to be reactivated each time the firmware is updated? I've got an iphone from Verizon but im not in the US. Not exactly factory unlocked, some ebay seller who sold his iphone without terminating his contract.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
You have to admit it was humorous though... fixing a ota update bug with.... an ota update lmfao

I did that imei site and it said my verizon phone was locked too. So it's something with the site. It got my contract end date right though

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Once the phone is activated, would it need to be reactivated each time the firmware is updated?

Only when the device is restored.

It used to be that moving between major versions of iOS (e.g. iOS 4 to 5) required a restore, but since iOS 5 added OTA updates, that seems to have changed.

luckyarcher

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
Only when the device is restored.

It used to be that moving between major versions of iOS (e.g. iOS 4 to 5) required a restore, but since iOS 5 added OTA updates, that seems to have changed.

Somethings not right, why is a Verizon phone then called factory unlocked? Someone who is overseas would not be able to activate with another sim?
On checking with IMEI sites mention activation status as confirmed or not. Restoring my phone would not change activation status in Apple's server, I believe?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Somethings not right, why is a Verizon phone then called factory unlocked? Someone who is overseas would not be able to activate with another sim?
On checking with IMEI sites mention activation status as confirmed or not. Restoring my phone would not change activation status in Apple's server, I believe?

You're making false assumptions.
You can activate a verizon iphone 5 with any GSM sim.
Stop checking imei sites, the verizon i5 is unlocked for GSM use on any carrier.
This is madness...

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Restoring my phone would not change activation status in Apple's server, I believe?

The source of data used by these sites isn't actually the Apple Unlock Database.

These IMEI checkers get their data from Apple's warranty systems, which are sometimes a bit out of date.

My post was actually referring to the process of activating an iOS device.

When you restore an iOS device to the default settings, it is put into an unactivated state. To reactivate it, you must go through the wizard that appears when the restore is complete. The activation process checks which carrier (if any) the device should be locked to and sets the SIM lock status of the device accordingly.

If you have an unlocked phone, the activation process will accept ANY SIM inserted into the phone as being valid.

If you have a locked phone, the activation process will only complete if you put a SIM into the phone from the carrier it's locked to.

Last edited:

fospino

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
My iPhone 4 was lock after the update. Bought it in Europe, it was unlock by apple after 6 months period which it is the law in France. I was using it with a simple mobile sim and now it does not work!!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
My iPhone 4 was lock after the update. Bought it in Europe, it was unlock by apple after 6 months period which it is the law in France. I was using it with a simple mobile sim and now it does not work!!

That doesn't make much sense.
Maybe your i4 was unlocked with ultrasnow or a gevey.
Once a phone is factory unlocked its forever unlocked and it won't lock to any carrier no matter if you update or restore period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.