Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
California
Does anyone's iPhone 5 Volume Buttons have a two stage click? My volume up button has an annoying intermediate step when clicking it. If I tap the volume up button with my fingernail, it is significantly louder than the volume down, which behaves normally.

If you don't get what I mean, it's like a point and shoot/DSLR camera button, where the first step of the shutter button is to focus and the second one actually snaps the picture.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
This is a feature on the iP5, for exactly what you mentioned. When you're using the iP5 camera, the intermediate stage of the click is to focus, and the full click is to take the picture, just like the camera example you said. Try it, notice how much clearer your pictures are?

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
There is no such thing. Some buttons have more play until clicked. My previous Iphone 5 I exchanged had this but the replacement has tight volumes button with no play at all. As far as the focus comment? The phone has auto-focus when you move the phone and you press the screen to change the focus not the volume button. It has nothing to do with the volume button.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry if it's just me being dumb, but what exactly do you mean by play?

It's definitely not a focus thing as it has no effect in Camera.

There is no two stage button on the volume button for focus. Whoever said that is talking nonsense.

I think play is just the "slack". Or looseness of the button. Or how far it presses in. I actually have no idea. Can anyone else elaborate?

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
This is a feature on the iP5, for exactly what you mentioned. When you're using the iP5 camera, the intermediate stage of the click is to focus, and the full click is to take the picture, just like the camera example you said. Try it, notice how much clearer your pictures are?

This is not true.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Sorry if it's just me being dumb, but what exactly do you mean by play?

It's definitely not a focus thing as it has no effect in Camera.

Slightly loose and has a play to the point when it's actually pressed. One way to check is slightly press the buttons but not all the way. This is normal, some buttons will have more play and others are tight to the point of contact. I wouldn't worry about it as long they are functioning. You could risk getting a worst device if you exchange for that reason.

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
this is a feature on the ip5, for exactly what you mentioned. When you're using the ip5 camera, the intermediate stage of the click is to focus, and the full click is to take the picture, just like the camera example you said. Try it, notice how much clearer your pictures are?

false

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Moron.gif

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
California
Slightly loose and has a play to the point when it's actually pressed. One way to check is slightly press the buttons but not all the way. This is normal, some buttons will have more play and others are tight to the point of contact. I wouldn't worry about it as long they are functioning. You could risk getting a worst device if you exchange for that reason.

Yeah I won't risk exchanging my cosmetically perfect phone. I was just making sure it wasn't some major defect. It just feels weird

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Took mine in for this very issue yesterday. I was concerned that this would get worse with use. The Genius exchanged it within 30 seconds of checking the phone. They said this type of behavior w/ the buttons was not normal. Both of us checked the replacement phone very carefully, and it appears to be perfect.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah I won't risk exchanging my cosmetically perfect phone. I was just making sure it wasn't some major defect. It just feels weird

Save it for a reason to exchange later. You have a year anyways. I have gone thru four iPhone 5 all because of a camera defect with my first one. Most of the ones I've seen either has dead pixel or scuffed out of the box. At the end it became more frustrating for me. Luckily my last is cosmetically perfect and no other issues. But I wasted some valuable time before I got to this.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008

I hope you're joking.

For anyone wondering, no, that is not true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.