Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iciconnect

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Florida
After using one of the competition's wide screen phone, I found myself using it more then my iPhone. Though it wasn't as good of a user experience as my iPhone, the wider viewing display grabbed my attention. Viewing video content on their wider phones, sadly is much better in my opinion. The reason, the content that display at an 16x9 ratio.

Wider is the way to go, truth to this is found in Reviews regarding the new iPad mini. The iPad mini has been said to have a perfect size screen when viewing content and playing Multitouch games. It has a better screen resolution as compared to it competitor. The iPad 3 and 4 have gorgeous Retina displays. Why not have a wider iPhone that's both thin and wider so we can enjoy our digital media we've purchased from Apple to have that same comfort level we get from the iPad?

Having a display to be available at a resolution that's at a 16x9 Ratio is better regarding content. I love the iPhone, we need to finally go wider on the iPhone. Content viewing is being effected by the screen size on such a magnificent device. If Apple posted up a vote regarding their content displayed on their iOS devices, I'm sure people would agree that the resolution found on the iPad and iPad mini are much superior when viewing Apple's video content then from what you get from both the iPhone and iPod Touch. Not because they are smaller, it's the width of the screen then the mire size.

Apple's video content is around about an 16x9 ratio as like most if not all of the content found on iTunes and the Apps store. I've found myself wanting an iPad mini as a substitute to my iphone. Wider viewing is best for Apple's video content, working documents and game play. I would surely be happier with a wider screen phone then to travel with both devices to be able to enjoy my media.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
Please stop saying that they NEED it. I love the 4'' and hate the larger screens but I can still use them though.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
No it doesn't. Apple made it taller but the same width for a reason and that's how it should remain. If you want something wider then go switch to a Samsung Galaxy SIII

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
OP must have missed the iphone 5 release announcement and what Tim Cook said about the size. He wanted it to be this width for the easy one handed operation. You are just one of many OP, that does not get it and never will. Apple will not enlarge the iPhone further, so please look some where else. You and others are beating a dead horse thank goodness. Like it just the way it is.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I will preface this by saying that I've owned every iPhone since the 3gs, and currently am a very happy iPhone 5 user.

Apple will release an iphone w/ a screen larger than 4". my guess is that there will eventually be two or more iphone sizes to choose from. Maybe have a 3.7-4" size around, but add a 4.3-4.5" display too. Apple can get away with providing a one-size-fits-all iPhone right now, but with the acceleration and growth of android and their bright super-sized displays, iPhones become a harder sell when most smartphone these days involves lots of web browsing and media consumption - it's just easier and more comfortable on a larger display. The key is that android has made some huge improvements over the last few years, and it's only going to get smoother and more robust. When you add to that the huge cost differential (see: Nexus 4), options and choices in screen sizes and form factors, apple's iPhone will lose some of its luster.

I think the apple brand is beginning to lose a little bit of its cachet - after all - seems like everyone and their mother has an iPhone already. They still have their ecosystem of great apps going for them, but that won't last forever. Apple isn't stupid - there was market pressure for smaller, lighter, and cheaper tablets, hence now we have the iPad mini. If Apple wants to stay competitive with Android down the road, they need to release an iPhone with a larger screen. The question is not if, it's when.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
No one has been more vocal than me about how ridiculously small the iPhone's screen is and the need to go wider, not just taller.

I've moved on though. It's not gonna happen. It took Apple 5 years to begrudgingly go taller. The iPhone was starting to be embarrassing with it's 3.5" screen, so Apple went taller to get into the 4" club.

They will not go larger, wider or anything else. I still think a phone this small that's 16:9 looks goofy and is too small to be practical for what 16:9 is good for (watching movies), but it is what it is and it's time to move on.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
...The iPhone was starting to be embarrassing with it's 3.5" screen, so Apple went taller to get into the 4" club...

On the contrary, it would be rather embarrassing to carry a large phone in my pocket :rolleyes:

"Is is a phone in your pocket or are you happy to see me?"

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Turn it sideways

cross-eyed-cats-1a-1352354394.jpg

ninermac

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Yeah, I totally disagree... The reason I went with the iPhone 5 was that it is the only high end phone the size of a phone. My phone goes everywhere. Try running with that galaxy in your pocket or the brick the wp8 920 is. I love that apple is knocking the growing screen trend and keeping things functional with one hand.

Until I got the 5 I didn't realize how perfect the phone is. It did not deserve some od the bad rap it got when announced.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Viewing video content on their wider phones, sadly is much better in my opinion. The reason, the content that display at an 16x9 ratio.... Having a display to be available at a resolution that's at a 16x9 Ratio is better regarding content.....Apple's video content is around about an 16x9 ratio as like most if not all of the content found on iTunes and the Apps store.

The iPhone 5 is a 4" display at 16:9 ratio. The old ones were 3.5" at 3:2, which is wider in portrait, though not as wide as the iPads at 4:3.

The standard ratio for most modern displays and HDTV's is 16:9. This is viewed as the best compromise for the varying aspect ratios of movies and TV shows.

You'll find that TV shows usually sit at 16:9 and will fill the iPhone 5's screen completely.

Most films (though some are 16:9) are 2.35 to 2.4:1. This is a much wider aspect ratio than 16:9 and wouldn't be realistic for a mobile device. It would be ridiculously tall and render the product useless for most anything other than movie watching.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
After using one of the competition's wide screen phone, I found myself using it more then my iPhone. Though it wasn't as good of a user experience as my iPhone, the wider viewing display grabbed my attention. Viewing video content on their wider phones, sadly is much better in my opinion. The reason, the content that display at an 16x9 ratio. Wider is the way to go, truth to this is found in Reviews regarding the new iPad mini. The iPad mini has been said to have a perfect size screen when viewing content and playing Multitouch games. It has a better screen resolution as compared to it competitor. The iPad 3 and 4 have gorgeous Retina displays. Why not have a wider iPhone that's both thin and wider so we can enjoy our digital media we've purchased from Apple to have that same comfort level we get from the iPad? Having a display to be available at a resolution that's at a 16x9 Ratio is better regarding content. I love the iPhone, we need to finally go wider on the iPhone. Content viewing is being effected by the screen size on such a magnificent device. If Apple posted up a vote regarding their content displayed on their iOS devices, I'm sure people would agree that the resolution found on the iPad and iPad mini are much superior when viewing Apple's video content then from what you get from both the iPhone and iPod Touch. Not because they are smaller, it's the width of the screen then the mire size. Apple's video content is around about an 16x9 ratio as like most if not all of the content found on iTunes and the Apps store. I've found myself wanting an iPad mini as a substitute to my iphone. Wider viewing is best for Apple's video content, working documents and game play. I would surely be happier with a wider screen phone then to travel with both devices to be able to enjoy my media.

I have no idea what you're talking about. The iPad and iPad mini are both 4:3, so they're not ideal for video. The iPhone 5 is in fact 16:9. You're post makes no sense at all.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
On the contrary, it would be rather embarrassing to carry a large phone in my pocket :rolleyes:

"Is is a phone in your pocket or are you happy to see me?"

Nonsense. I take it you've never actually tried. It's hardly as you describe.

I love my iPhone 5, but I can't say I haven't been tempted by those gorgeous Samsung screens. I think the norm for screen sizes will fall somewhere around 4.5" in the next few years.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
No one has been more vocal than me about how ridiculously small the iPhone's screen is and the need to go wider, not just taller.

I've moved on though. It's not gonna happen. It took Apple 5 years to begrudgingly go taller. The iPhone was starting to be embarrassing with it's 3.5" screen, so Apple went taller to get into the 4" club.

They will not go larger, wider or anything else. I still think a phone this small that's 16:9 looks goofy and is too small to be practical for what 16:9 is good for (watching movies), but it is what it is and it's time to move on.

Sedrick's comments always makes the most sense to me, & this time is no exception. Given that Apple took a time frame of 5 YEARS to even upgrade the screen to 4" shows a lot about the direction iPhone is progressing. And Apple isn't going to increase the screen size just because it's competitors are doing so. A bigger screen may come sooner or later, but that's gonna take a while as Apple would not want to keep troubling developers to repeatedly optimize their apps for a larger screen every 1-2 years. IMO the current iPhone 5 screen is ok for me; it's not like its unusable. And for the record, Apple can never make an iPhone with a screen size that satisfies EVERYONE, so there are bound to be people complaining.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
After using one of the competition's wide screen phone, I found myself using it more then my iPhone. Though it wasn't as good of a user experience as my iPhone, the wider viewing display grabbed my attention. Viewing video content on their wider phones, sadly is much better in my opinion. The reason, the content that display at an 16x9 ratio. Wider is the way to go, truth to this is found in Reviews regarding the new iPad mini. The iPad mini has been said to have a perfect size screen when viewing content and playing Multitouch games. It has a better screen resolution as compared to it competitor. The iPad 3 and 4 have gorgeous Retina displays. Why not have a wider iPhone that's both thin and wider so we can enjoy our digital media we've purchased from Apple to have that same comfort level we get from the iPad? Having a display to be available at a resolution that's at a 16x9 Ratio is better regarding content. I love the iPhone, we need to finally go wider on the iPhone. Content viewing is being effected by the screen size on such a magnificent device. If Apple posted up a vote regarding their content displayed on their iOS devices, I'm sure people would agree that the resolution found on the iPad and iPad mini are much superior when viewing Apple's video content then from what you get from both the iPhone and iPod Touch. Not because they are smaller, it's the width of the screen then the mire size. Apple's video content is around about an 16x9 ratio as like most if not all of the content found on iTunes and the Apps store. I've found myself wanting an iPad mini as a substitute to my iphone. Wider viewing is best for Apple's video content, working documents and game play. I would surely be happier with a wider screen phone then to travel with both devices to be able to enjoy my media.

This run on paragraph needs a wider screen.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
As long as the iPhone remains a single model. If at some point down the line they make more than one model a year I can see a larger phone as an option but I don't see that happening for a long long time if ever. The we are Apple and you will like what we give you attitude will remain.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I have an iPhone 5 and I think even the taller 4-inch screen is a bit much. The extra space is nice in a few apps, but it's more difficult for me to use it with one hand than the previous 3.5" screens were.

I've tried phones with larger (taller and wider) screens. I could never use them for extended periods of time. They're unwieldy and difficult to fit in my pocket, in which I almost always have other things along with my phone.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I've never understood the obsession with using a smartphone one handed. Sure there are moments when one of your hands is occupied but even then if you're on the run what besides a quick text or return a phone call will you be doing? Not to mention that SIRI should allow you to use your iPhone one handed to your hearts content. Anything that you would normally do one handed you should easily be able to accomplish using SIRI. If not now then in the future making the one handed use argument irrelevant.

I really like my iPhone 5 but the screen size is awkward and lacking IMO. I also believe that eventually Apple will release a larger screen. Like an earlier poster said I think they will have to to continue competing with Android and even possibly Microsoft in the future.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I've never understood the obsession with using a smartphone one handed. Sure there are moments when one of your hands is occupied but even then if you're on the run what besides a quick text or return a phone call will you be doing? Not to mention that SIRI should allow you to use your iPhone one handed to your hearts content. Anything that you would normally do one handed you should easily be able to accomplish using SIRI. If not now then in the future making the one handed use argument irrelevant.

I really like my iPhone 5 but the screen size is awkward and lacking IMO. I also believe that eventually Apple will release a larger screen. Like an earlier poster said I think they will have to to continue competing with Android and even possibly Microsoft in the future.

There are plenty of cases where it's way more convenient to use a cell phone one handed. Airports are a prime example - luggage is in one hand, phone in the other checking flight information, rental car phone number/location, hotel map, all sorts of stuff. Siri can't find that information for you at all.

That being said, I do think a 4.3-4.5" phone would strike a nice compromise between relatively easy one-handed use and a more usable screen. With apple it's usually "our way or the highway", but unless apple wants a repeat of the 80s and 90s, they'll need to bring out some different form factors to compete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.