Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I never owned the Nexus One but I remember reading tons of things about how it didn't have multitouch. It's come a long way since then... :)

Things have gotten a whole lot better now with Android hardware and software, that's for sure! :D

Is this iPhone 5 issue a newly discovered one? Never heard of it until now. Share it on the iPhone forums. They'll flip out. :p

I believe it's a newly discovered issue: http://recombu.com/mobile/news/iphone-5-scroll-glitch_M18548.html

I do remember people slating the Nexus One for it's extremely poor multitiouch sensor. That's why I hope the new issue is software for our iP5 owning brethren and can be easily fixed.

I'll wait for the folk to find out themselves but expect to be hearing how touch response and faulty screens are a non issue soon. :p

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
But people only do that when they are fooling around with their phone. No one would ever really care about doing that reliably unless your goal is to bash apple...

I have used similar finger motions on Fruit Ninja. That's about it though, so I'll openly say it isn't much of a deal.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Don't think it's a major issue either. And it may or may not be related to the touch response issue that creeps up with ios that I was talking about. Just saw 9to5mac.com post it on the front page.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I currently have an iPhone 5 64GB, and I intend to get the Nexus 4, I've been with iPhone since the first ever one, tried a Nokia Lumia 900 briefly but it wasn't to my taste. Now Android has matured enough for me.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Regarding the iPhone 5's amazing responsiveness to touch...

I was at a friend's playing with his iPhone 5. And when I pulled down the notification center and tried tapping into the weather widget to launch the app, it didn't respond to my first few taps. It took 3 or 4 taps before it would actually launch into the weather app. What's worse was, it could be repeated. I would randomly pull down the Notification Center and try to tap into the weather, and sometimes it worked on first tap, and other times, took 3 or 4 taps to get into it. I asked my friend about it and he said yeah, that's happened to him a few times.

In fact, he went on to say sometimes icons don't launch even when tapped.

I can say with my iPad 3rd Gen that I've experienced this too. You see missed presses severely when typing, but I've also experienced when I tap on an app icon to launch it, it won't register. Only a second tap gets it to go. And sometimes, when I tap, I can see the icon itself gray out like it's been tapped, but the app won't actually launch. It's bizarre. I've experienced it with other miscellaneous taps too; cases where I've had to re-tap something to get it to go. Noticed it more with iOS 6 than I did with iOS 5.

Anyway, the point I'm making is, the apparent gulf between iOS and Android touch response is overblown (as is with many many differences). iOS hiccups with its touch response sometimes too, as does Android.

Sounds like your friend has a bad iPhone 5, one of my girlfriend's friends had hers replaced last week after having issues with her touch screen. Mine's been pretty much flawless, I've had a few little glitches here and there, but on the whole, it's been by far the most responsive touch screen device I've ever used. I also tried to replicate that diagonal scrolling issue on mine- I don't have it, neither does my girlfriend's 4S.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Sounds like your friend has a bad iPhone 5

So, Nexus 7 touch screen hiccups = Android sucks, is broken, is "wrong," is a complete deal-breaker and failure of an OS.

Iphone 5 touch screen hiccups = Just a defective unit.

Hey, maybe it is defective, but I noticed it when I owned my 4S (primarily with the keyboard), and I notice it now with my iPad 3 (primarily after iOS 6 update). I have other friends too who have said their iPhone isn't always perfectly responsive (friends tend to be a little more forthcoming; less defensive).

As I said before, when this happens on my iPad, it isn't even something I necessarily mind, per se, but ever since you and some others have started nitpicking over this apparent gulf of touch screen difference, I've been more sensitive to it when it happens on iOS; I can't help but notice it every time it happens on iOS because apparently it doesn't.

Vitrum

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
So, Nexus 7 touch screen hiccups = Android sucks, is broken, is "wrong," is a complete deal-breaker and failure of an OS.

Iphone 5 touch screen hiccups = Just a defective unit.

Hey, maybe it is defective, but I noticed it when I owned my 4S (primarily with the keyboard), and I notice it now with my iPad 3 (primarily after iOS 6 update). I have other friends too who have said their iPhone isn't always perfectly responsive (friends tend to be a little more forthcoming; less defensive).

As I said before, when this happens on my iPad, it isn't even something I necessarily mind, per se, but ever since you and some others have started nitpicking over this apparent gulf of touch screen difference, I've been more sensitive to it when it happens on iOS; I can't help but notice it every time it happens on iOS because apparently it doesn't.

Something about a "issue" with iphone 5 touchscreen.

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-could-have-a-serious-hardware-based-touchscreen-problem-video/

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I enjoy how things like poor screen resolution aka iPad mini or this screen lag aka iPhone 5 are minor things that people do not mind. But on any other non Apple device they are turned into unreadable laggy devices that are worthy of nothing more than the trash bin.

What amazes me is that so many people cannot see how companies like google and Microsoft have responded in a positive way to people's complaints, yet Apple owners refuse to acknowledge the faults let alone speak to Apple with their wallets.

Imagine how great a user upgradable retina MBP, Apple tv with dlna extetnal hdd support and retina iPad mini for $299 would be if they did?

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
So quad core Qualcomm 1.5 GHz with 2GB ram is a small bump from 1 GB ram and Tegra 2 dual core?

Yes, because the OS doesn't use all of that, nor need it. I mean seriously, the RAM is impressive but the chip isn't.

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Yes, because the OS doesn't use all of that, nor need it. I mean seriously, the RAM is impressive but the chip isn't.

It is compared to the Tegra 2 and DUAL CORE A6 chip, mind you a lot of android phones use the same processor now days. I see what you mean :)

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I enjoy how things like poor screen resolution aka iPad mini or this screen lag aka iPhone 5 are minor things that people do not mind. But on any other non Apple device they are turned into unreadable laggy devices that are worthy of nothing more than the trash bin.

What amazes me is that so many people cannot see how companies like google and Microsoft have responded in a positive way to people's complaints, yet Apple owners refuse to acknowledge the faults let alone speak to Apple with their wallets.

Imagine how great a user upgradable retina MBP, Apple tv with dlna extetnal hdd support and retina iPad mini for $299 would be if they did?
It is quite amusing, ay. And people who say android is laggy must have used it around froyo, because Jellybean doesn't lag at 300 FPS

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
It is quite amusing, ay. And people who say android is laggy must have used it around froyo, because Jellybean doesn't lag at 300 FPS

This is what is turning back onto android, first few smart phones were android loved everything but the lag it had. im anal about that even in games. Ever since project butter im ready!

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012

And how many people are on JB? I think project butter is one of the most important things Google has announced in Android, and it gets too little publicity.

Carriers and smartphone companies are doing a disservice to Google's Android by not speeding up and rolling out JB to the masses.

The first Android Phone I used (for work) was a Droid Incredible on Gingerbread, and my first impression was that it was garbage (100% due to the lag and lack of response).

It would go a long way in erasing the stigma that Android phones lag.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Dont know if this has been posted before.

Looks like they will be ready for order sometime between now and Tuesday.

AndroidPolice: Is Google going to start shipping on the 13th or open pre-orders? In other words, when will the first customers be able to hold the new Nexuses in their paws?

Google PR Rep: They'll start shipping on that date.

AndroidPolice: Alright, thanks. Do you know when the pre-orders will start then?

Google PR Rep: Right now, it's "Notify me" and on 11/13 it will switch to available for order.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...-shipments-start-november-13th-no-pre-orders/

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
And how many people are on JB? I think project butter is one of the most important things Google has announced in Android, and it gets too little publicity.

Carriers and smartphone companies are doing a disservice to Google's Android by not speeding up and rolling out JB to the masses.

The first Android Phone I used (for work) was a Droid Incredible on Gingerbread, and my first impression was that it was garbage (100% due to the lag and lack of response).

It would go a long way in erasing the stigma that Android phones lag.

Yeah Gingerbrread was garbage. Im on ICS and it isnt laggy either and im sure JB is even better.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
How are the Nexus line of phones for reception, headpiece and microphone clarity, etc? Even though I kind of hate the iphone, you have to admit it's call quality is pretty superb and I don't realize it unless I swap to say a Samsung phone for a couple of days. I'll assume Google has the highest quality, but wanted to hear from others who have used their phones.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
How are the Nexus line of phones for reception, headpiece and microphone clarity, etc? Even though I kind of hate the iphone, you have to admit it's call quality is pretty superb and I don't realize it unless I swap to say a Samsung phone for a couple of days. I'll assume Google has the highest quality, but wanted to hear from others who have used their phones.

Wouldn't that depend more on your carrier?

But I'll offer my experience anyway: I'm a Galaxy Nexus owner on Tmobile, and call quality is great either via headpiece or speaker (both ear and loud speaker). The only time it isn't clear has to do with the carrier, like if I'm deep inside a building or something and my reception is obviously not ideal. Everywhere else where I get service, the quality has been great.

Samsung is notorious (I think? Not sure how widespread this is) but having reception issues with their devices. I haven't experienced it myself, per se. But regardless, the Nexus 4 is made by LG so it'll be a different story, for better or worse.

Hope that helped some.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Wouldn't that depend more on your carrier?

But I'll offer my experience anyway: I'm a Galaxy Nexus owner on Tmobile, and call quality is great either via headpiece or speaker (both ear and loud speaker). The only time it isn't clear has to do with the carrier, like if I'm deep inside a building or something and my reception is obviously not ideal. Everywhere else where I get service, the quality has been great.

Samsung is notorious (I think? Not sure how widespread this is) but having reception issues with their devices. I haven't experienced it myself, per se. But regardless, the Nexus 4 is made by LG so it'll be a different story, for better or worse.

Hope that helped some.

Thanks that helps. Yeah I would think part of the equation is the carrier, I'm on ATT but haven't had any issues with them over the years. I was more curious about how well the earpiece and microphone functioned, which you answered, that's good to know. Some of the samsungs have this funny issue where you have to kind of aim the earpiece just right or you can't hear very well, that's one reason I returned my Note 2.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Thanks that helps. Yeah I would think part of the equation is the carrier, I'm on ATT but haven't had any issues with them over the years. I was more curious about how well the earpiece and microphone functioned, which you answered, that's good to know. Some of the samsungs have this funny issue where you have to kind of aim the earpiece just right or you can't hear very well, that's one reason I returned my Note 2.

My only gripe with the loud speaker on the GN is that I wish it was louder. Many reviews say the Nexus 4's speaker is louder and an improvement over the GN. I hope so. A louder speaker will be especially relevant when using Navigation in the car.

Good luck. Do post impressions, good or bad, of the Nexus 4!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.