Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Unhappy iBook G4 Freezing

Ok guys need some real help

So I went on a trip and I took my ibook G4 with me. Now went I came home, started using it and now it is freezing when the screen moves. Even the smallest movement makes the ibook freeze.

By moving I mean 'tilt' the screen. Any help? Should I consider getting a powerbook?

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:15 PM   #2
cocacolakid
macrumors 6502a

Does it drop the picture when it freezes?
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502

What model it is, what year?

- 2005 iBooks had problem with the Airport connector becoming bit loose and they were sometimes very sensitive to movement after that.

- 2004 iBooks had problems with the GPU and some component on the backside of the motherboard, applying pressure to that component did sometimes help and it too was very sensitive to movement. With GPU the only way to attempt to fix it was resoldering / balling.

In your case it might be the display cable or maybe hinges etc. metallic create short when you move the display.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:38 PM   #4
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotaccian View Post
What model it is, what year?

- 2005 iBooks had problem with the Airport connector becoming bit loose and they were sometimes very sensitive to movement after that.

- 2004 iBooks had problems with the GPU and some component on the backside of the motherboard, applying pressure to that component did sometimes help and it too was very sensitive to movement. With GPU the only way to attempt to fix it was resoldering / balling.

In your case it might be the display cable or maybe hinges etc. metallic create short when you move the display.

So... Any guides of help? Even when I type it happens. Well right now not, but I mean what can I do? I truly don't want to replace my ibook. It is soooo awesome!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:02 PM   #5
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcalifornia View Post

So... Any guides of help? Even when I type it happens. Well right now not, but I mean what can I do? I truly don't want to replace my ibook. It is soooo awesome!
You have a 2004 iBook if you have a 1.2ghz 12" or 1.2ghz 14" is a 2003 machine I believe

I owned a 1.33 14" and I dropped it six inches off the ground, in its bag, and it froze on me. It was brand new in my student store as a prior model discount so I promptly got the final revision iBook 1.42ghz 14" that has sudden motion sensor and is a much more modern machine than all the prior iBooks combined.

1. You should be running Leopard and therefore Time Machine and therefore have a current back up

2. I agree that there might be a connector loose somewhere, if you have the 1.2 12" the video card is notorious for cracking at the logic board connectors, do your homework.

3. If you are using the original hard drive to your machine, which would be stock 30 gig for a 12" and forty for a 14" (40g/60g in the 2005 iBooks) i would call you foolhardy for attempting to use an ancient hard drive in your iBook eight or seven years out.

If you have an older iBook, which i suspect you do, you do not have Sudden Motion sensor on it and this opens up the hard drive to more wear and tear and thus freezing.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:16 PM   #6
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
You have a 2004 iBook if you have a 1.2ghz 12" or 1.2ghz 14" is a 2003 machine I believe

I owned a 1.33 14" and I dropped it six inches off the ground, in its bag, and it froze on me. It was brand new in my student store as a prior model discount so I promptly got the final revision iBook 1.42ghz 14" that has sudden motion sensor and is a much more modern machine than all the prior iBooks combined.

1. You should be running Leopard and therefore Time Machine and therefore have a current back up

2. I agree that there might be a connector loose somewhere, if you have the 1.2 12" the video card is notorious for cracking at the logic board connectors, do your homework.

3. If you are using the original hard drive to your machine, which would be stock 30 gig for a 12" and forty for a 14" (40g/60g in the 2005 iBooks) i would call you foolhardy for attempting to use an ancient hard drive in your iBook eight or seven years out.

If you have an older iBook, which i suspect you do, you do not have Sudden Motion sensor on it and this opens up the hard drive to more wear and tear and thus freezing.

1. I don't trust Time Machine. Everything is stored on external 1TB hard drive/Blue Ray Discs

2. I read that the logic thing was fixed on G4. I guess they were wrong. So there's no way to fix this?

3. Wow, a little bit harsh but ok. I use an SSD, I don't trust normal hard drives. All of my apple computers and HP pc have SSD

It doesn't have Sudden Motion Sensor. I'm just saying what the everymac says about my ibook. Even if it had it, I would not trust that thing.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:25 PM   #7
skateny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcalifornia View Post
Ok guys need some real help

So I went on a trip and I took my ibook G4 with me. Now went I came home, started using it and now it is freezing when the screen moves. Even the smallest movement makes the ibook freeze.

By moving I mean 'tilt' the screen. Any help? Should I consider getting a powerbook?

Thanks!
Try connecting it to an external display.

This thread might help:
http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-iphone-ipad-...y-problem.html

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs