Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Shouldn't be 20 hours but mine took aaaaaaages. Even with the enter key held down.
Probably better to install from a separate drive which leaves the Mac still useable in the mean time?

Is it perhaps something to do with the MP11 hardware?

I used to have a 8-core upgraded MP1,1 and install with permission disabled works perfectly fine. Took roughly 15 mins to install

kevinlux

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Hi Folks,
I have a white MacBook3,1 with X3100 of course.

Following the Guide in first page i've succeded installing ML having audio working and partially the video.

I can confirm the sleep issue and brightness control that is not working.

VLC can't play video since open gl acceleration is not supported on your mac.

DVD Player can't play DVD Video since It Can't find video output error code -70017, while the drive itself works okay (haven't tested the burn process)

I'm willing to test any improvements... I just have a little bit of confusion reading the last 6-7 pages of this post. Here are my questions :
  • - There's any chance that Video Acceleration and Open GL get fixes by Wayne or someone else? Means would be ever possible to have the graphic fully working or the point it's just to fix or find the workaround for brightness control and sleep issue leaving out the acceleration (Possibility to see video and use acceleration and have a fully working card on ML?
could someone clarify me this point ? I would appreciate coz I'm a bit confused.

Thanks in advance.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I used to have a 8-core upgraded MP1,1 and install with permission disabled works perfectly fine. Took roughly 15 mins to install

Maybe it's something to do with the slight difference in hardware? Remember I've got no NVRAM running correctly.

----------

So it looks like I'll be coming into the possession of a 2006 Mac Pro with a Radeon 5770. From this guide I gather I should have 100% functionality? Have any of you guys done it with that specific machine?

I have it right now. It's running 90 something percent.
Can you post that machines exact specs? Also which version of the ML installer do you currently have?

soldierblue

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
I have it right now. It's running 90 something percent.
Can you post that machines exact specs? Also which version of the ML installer do you currently have?

I should be able to in a week or so once I get it. AFAIK it's a 1,1 w/ 3ghz Xeons.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I should be able to in a week or so once I get it. AFAIK it's a 1,1 w/ 3ghz Xeons.

Ok, make sure that if you have older versions of the ML installer, (10.8.0, 10.8.1), do not delete them. If you have the same issue as I, you're going to need them.

ciacorp

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
X3100 kext for Mountain Lion with QE/CL?

Any news about X3100 kext for Mountain Lion with QE/CL? hackerwayne? :)

Alazoral

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
OK, I'm throwing in the towel. After painstakingly finding and putting together a working bootable 10.8.0 install disk (hint: when the guide in the OP says delete boot.efi, actually overwrite it or make sure to empty the trash because its bless status will follow it into the trash and your computer will try and boot from it), the bless command in the terminal of that version also tells me it can't find my NVRAM. So I am time machining back to ML, at least until someone with more patience and time than I can figure out how to smooth the rough edges. Thanks for everyone's help, and if a solution is at some point found I will happily jump back on the boat.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I was looking around tonight and found a page where someone purports to fix the QE/CI problem with Terminal commands. They all start with"sudo" so I don't think that I'll try them.
The page is:
http://www.osx86.net/view/2880-intel_x3100_2a12_+_fakesmc_plugin_workin_...html

There's nothing wrong with those commands. All they're doing is using perl to change out a few values within the X3100 kext. Sudo is required to edit those values because the kext is owned by root.

kevinlux

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Hi Folks,
I have a white MacBook3,1 with X3100 of course.

Following the Guide in first page i've succeded installing ML having audio working and partially the video.

I can confirm the sleep issue and brightness control that is not working.

VLC can't play video since open gl acceleration is not supported on your mac.

DVD Player can't play DVD Video since It Can't find video output error code -70017, while the drive itself works okay (haven't tested the burn process)

I'm willing to test any improvements... I just have a little bit of confusion reading the last 6-7 pages of this post. Here are my questions :
  • - There's any chance that Video Acceleration and Open GL get fixes by Wayne or someone else? Means would be ever possible to have the graphic fully working or the point it's just to fix or find the workaround for brightness control and sleep issue leaving out the acceleration (Possibility to see video and use acceleration and have a fully working card on ML?
could someone clarify me this point ? I would appreciate coz I'm a bit confused.

Thanks in advance.

up ! no one ?

----------

Any news about X3100 kext for Mountain Lion with QE/CL? hackerwayne? :)

I think that hackerwayne it's just busy since it's been a lot that it's not around here.... maybe he just gave up :-/

locura79

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
I officially gave up and went back to Lion. I guess I'll try again when people smarter than me figure out how to make it work on 4,1 with GMA X3100.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
But that's a complete installer thing image, right? What about something that is just the tweaks alone. Like in XPostFacto, you run the app, then select your source file (like the OS 10.4 install disc for example), your destination, and it would copy files bundled in the app to that drive, then reboot into the installer, and then you have OS X ready for your computer. I think you may have had to open the App again first though straight after the install (back in OS 9) to get it ready.

This would be awesome. I haven't heard anyone reference XPostFacto in YEARS too! :)

alansoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1325709/

Goodday,

I being following this guide but still failed to install Mountain Lion to my Macbook 2008.

When i try restart, press OPTION. It just show white screen and not able to run installation.

Please help me.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Goodday,

I being following this guide but still failed to install Mountain Lion to my Macbook 2008.

When i try restart, press OPTION. It just show white screen and not able to run installation.

Please help me.

You still have a Lion installation you can boot from?

Nemesis19

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
Hello everybody,

this is a very great guide, although having a MacBook4,1 with X3100 doesn't seem to be an advantage :(

I'm curious if instead of installing the whole system it is possible to install some parts of it on Lion, like: Messages, Reminders and Notes.

Any clue about that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.