Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:17 AM   #1
cdcdoc
macrumors member

Good iPhone app for cheap SMS?

I am looking for a good reliable Iphone app to send cheap (or free ) SMSs to CH and other countries as well. Any ideas?
cdcdoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdoc View Post
I am looking for a good reliable Iphone app to send cheap (or free ) SMSs to CH and other countries as well. Any ideas?
iMessage (included)
Whatsapp (.69p)
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:01 AM   #3
cdcdoc
macrumors member

imessage...limitted to IOS
whatsapp...limitted to whatsapp users...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
iMessage (included)
Whatsapp (.69p)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
imessage...limitted to IOS
whatsapp...limitted to whatsapp users...
You won't find a free SMS service unless your willing to pay in the first place. Whatsapp is avalible for iOS android rim and windows mobile. It's your best bet!
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:31 AM   #5
cdcdoc
macrumors member

I said cheap and then, of course, if it is free I do not mind. That means that I am willing to pay if it is cheaper than the normal charge. Like I said, imessage is limitted to IOS and whatsapp is limitted to users who have the app. I am not interested in this kind of apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
You won't find a free SMS service unless your willing to pay in the first place. Whatsapp is avalible for iOS android rim and windows mobile. It's your best bet!

Last edited by cdcdoc; Nov 11, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:50 PM   #6
- rob -
macrumors member

Quote:
I said cheap and then, of course, if it is free I do not mind. That means that I am willing to pay if it is cheaper than the normal charge. Like I said, imessage is limitted to IOS and whatsapp is limitted to users who have the app. I am not interested in this kind of apps.
I work on a secure alternative to whatsapp called Gliph (see sig) and we're very interested in what people want out of SMS.

You mentioned low price, I wanted to share the cost of sending SMS to China Telecom, China Unicom and China Mobile, which is 6.7 / msg. That is pricing directly from Twilio (scroll down and type in China to see).

Given that the cost to an app developer is 6.7 cents per message, and want to make up to 3-5 cents on their own to pay for their development costs, would you pay 10-11 cents per SMS to China? Is that cheaper than your normal charge you pay?

If it is too high of a price, is there a particular reason why it must be SMS? Are the other people you want to message with not using iPhone / smart phones?

Rob

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps