Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
So I have been around iOS for a while now and am about to get my first smartphone, and I am trying to decide between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy Note II. I like what I am seeing with both devices, however with little experience with android, I was hoping to hear your thoughts compared to iOS.

Basically, I was just wondering if any of you have any experience with the GSNII and your thoughts on the device itself as well as how well android runs on it, taking into consideration the larger screen size?

Thanks.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Do you like big screens and more freedom? Go with note 2.

Do you like stability and constant speed? Go with iphone 5.

I went with iphone 5 because perfection.

Doublemint

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
I know this post may not answer your question but I suggest that you try both phones. Get it from a company with good return policy and won't charge you for restocking fee.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
I have tried both and what can ı say is that just go with Iphone 5 . The android system and the screen is ridicilous and the second of all there is a useless piece of sh.t stylus.Second of all when you talk with Note 2 it look like your computer screen is attached to your side of your face and look funny :D My decision would be Iphone 5 all the time.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
for browsing, videos, music, social meds only = galaxy note 2 because of the bigger screen.

for everything plus the great ecosystem (games and apps in the appstore) = iPhone 5.

i know my choice.. it's the iPhone 5 and its appstore!

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here as I just bought a Note 2 and after 4 iPhones and a Galaxy 3 (which is going to the wife) the Note 2 is the best phone I've ever owned out of over a dozen through the years. Period.

Too big? Nonsense. iPhones are too small. As you can see, both are ridiculous statements but I'm just making a point. Big is clearly in the eyes of the beholder and use whatever works for you. In my early fifties now, the iPhone screen is too small for ME. Might be fine for you.

And those saying that the Note 2 looks silly up against your head? Again, nonsense. Most folks have cordless phones at home that are substantially bigger than the Note 2 and I don't see anyone complaining about how big those are or feel like an idiot using them. Fact is the Note 2 is very comfortable to hold on a call.

OP, the Note 2 is a wonderful device so try it for yourself. You may in fact decide it's more than you need and that's ok. Just don't listen to blanket statements about one vs the other. Smartphones today are no longer just phones, they're really pocketable computers that can also make calls. To that end the Note 2 excels in every way possible and will be another huge winner for Samsung. I still recommend iPhone 5 to some people especially if they are clearly entrenched in Apple's walled garden and/or need something that is drop dead stupid simple to use and can accept the limitations of IOS.

Other things to consider on the Note 2... you can add your own SD card, Quad core processor, HUGE 3100mAh battery that charges remarkably fast, 2 gig ram, S-Pen, Open file system, Google Now! and Google Nav with maps that actually work, run concurrent apps on a split screen, LED notification indicator, a real notification screen that is infinitely flexible, widgets, bluetooth that can work with devices such as OBD sensors for cars, etc, etc, etc.

Anyhoo, enjoy your phone whatever decision you make. You won't go far wrong with either device. I'm certainly enjoying my Note 2. Cheers!

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I have owned 6 Android phones over the years including the first Note and I have used the Note 2 quite a bit. Just bought an iPhone 5 few weeks ago. Reasons to go with the Note would be the bigger screen, bigger battery, sd card slot and things like widgets and other things the Android OS brings.. Reasons to buy the iPhone 5 would be a higher quality display, more manageable size as its thinner and lighter, better camera, better call quality/speakerphone, won't have to wonder if you will ever get an update, better app selection with higher quality then their Android versions and much more 3rd party accessories. Try them both out.

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thank you for your help everyone!

Definitely still a difficult decision, however upon thinking about the whole "Apple Eco-System" I think I'm gonna have to go with the iPhone 5. The Specs of both phones were definitely enticing, and my decision wasn't really going to be based of off that (save for screen size). On that note however (pun intended), my main concern was software and how it fared on the 5.5" screen, and it would appear as though android runs pretty great on the Galaxy Note II. So that leaves the whole eco-system side of things, and with my MBP and all of my family's iDevices I guess it would make the most sense to stick with Apple.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Thank you for your help everyone!

Definitely still a difficult decision, however upon thinking about the whole "Apple Eco-System" I think I'm gonna have to go with the iPhone 5. The Specs of both phones were definitely enticing, and my decision wasn't really going to be based of off that (save for screen size). On that note however (pun intended), my main concern was software and how it fared on the 5.5" screen, and it would appear as though android runs pretty great on the Galaxy Note II. So that leaves the whole eco-system side of things, and with my MBP and all of my family's iDevices I guess it would make the most sense to stick with Apple.

And that's a reasonable decision to make based on what will work best for you. Cheers!

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
I have owned 6 Android phones over the years including the first Note and I have used the Note 2 quite a bit. Just bought an iPhone 5 few weeks ago. Reasons to go with the Note would be the bigger screen, bigger battery, sd card slot and things like widgets and other things the Android OS brings.. Reasons to buy the iPhone 5 would be a higher quality display, more manageable size as its thinner and lighter, better camera, better call quality/speakerphone, won't have to wonder if you will ever get an update, better app selection with higher quality then their Android versions and much more 3rd party accessories. Try them both out.

Love how your trying to sound like you're being objective by saying you had all these Android devices, then throw in some facts that can't be denied even by the blindest of Apple followers. Things like bigger screen, bigger battery, and SD Card slot. No shlt the Note 2 has that over the iPhone. But the best part is when you use subjective terms like "better", "higher quality" to describe the iPhone. Then for the Grand Finale of your post you try to end it by suggesting the OP should "try them both out" after selling the iPhone as hard as you can. You're BS disguised as an objective opinion is insulting.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

One thing about the Note 2 is it's the first US Android phone I've ever used with the stability and constant speed like the iPhone is known for. This device rocks (I got mine 2 days ago) I can use a really high end 3D Live Wallpaper and the home screen UI doesn't lag at all! It's amazing with the quad core and 2 gigs of RAM.

The size of the device - big - but once you get used to it you won't want to downsize. Seriously HD videos look the best I've ever seen on a phone. Google Earth, amazing. Web browsing is like on a tablet (or phablet .. rather) Any other specific questions feel free to ask.
I was able to sync my contacts AND my iTunes library to the Note 2 really easily, and it's nice having over 70GB free space on the device (16GB + 64GB SDXC). As for the Apple ecosystem, I don't miss it, it was really nice but the trade off for the Android OS is totally worth it for me to have to use a slightly different music player that essentially performs the same functions. Plus the speaker on this phone is extra loud and clear, more so than any iPhone or other smaller smartphone I've seen. And the screen is amazing. The resolution if perfect, you can't distinguish the pixels AND it gets amazing battery life , best of both worlds.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
One thing about the Note 2 is it's the first US Android phone I've ever used with the stability and constant speed like the iPhone is known for. This device rocks (I got mine 2 days ago) I can use a really high end 3D Live Wallpaper and the home screen UI doesn't lag at all! It's amazing with the quad core and 2 gigs of RAM.

The size of the device - big - but once you get used to it you won't want to downsize. Seriously HD videos look the best I've ever seen on a phone. Google Earth, amazing. Web browsing is like on a tablet (or phablet .. rather) Any other specific questions feel free to ask.

There is the tiniest bit of lag, especially noted when turning the phone on, it's only a millisecond versus what my naked eye can only describe as instant with the iphones. Also same tiny lag when going to the phone app. Other than this though it's blazing fast, after you open whatever app you are opening.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Love how your trying to sound like you're being objective by saying you had all these Android devices, then throw in some facts that can't be denied even by the blindest of Apple followers. Things like bigger screen, bigger battery, and SD Card slot. No shlt the Note 2 has that over the iPhone. But the best part is when you use subjective terms like "better", "higher quality" to describe the iPhone. Then for the Grand Finale of your post you try to end it by suggesting the OP should "try them both out" after selling the iPhone as hard as you can. You're BS disguised as an objective opinion is insulting.

He wanted opinions and thats MY opinion but thanks for the insults kid

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
There is the tiniest bit of lag, especially noted when turning the phone on, it's only a millisecond versus what my naked eye can only describe as instant with the iphones. Also same tiny lag when going to the phone app. Other than this though it's blazing fast, after you open whatever app you are opening.

Hmm, the "SAMSUNG" animation is smooth for me, the "AT&T" animation on boot is a little slow, but its playing how its supposed to. UI is totally smooth for me, maybe it'll be a little faster with a static wallpaper but it isn't any less smooth, appears to be working at 60fps like it should. The Galaxy S3 felt a little laggier than this device (US version). I don't have more than 5 pages of apps, either. Phone app launches smooth for me, not even a millisecond lag ... maybe a microsecond but I can't tell ;)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Hmm, the "SAMSUNG" animation is smooth for me, the "AT&T" animation on boot is a little slow, but its playing how its supposed to. UI is totally smooth for me, maybe it'll be a little faster with a static wallpaper but it isn't any less smooth, appears to be working at 60fps like it should. The Galaxy S3 felt a little laggier than this device (US version). I don't have more than 5 pages of apps, either. Phone app launches smooth for me, not even a millisecond lag ... maybe a microsecond but I can't tell ;)

Not when booting up, but when pressing the power button to go to the lock screen. It takes about half a second for the lock screen to pop up. It's pretty vanilla, I haven't rooted or added much software yet. It's really not a big deal at all, but it's not "instant" either.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Pretty hit or miss for me, most of the time its nearly instant, and other times it can take up to close to half a second for me. :D

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
The usefulness of the things you can do on the note is amazing. Didn't think I'd use the S pen much but I actually like it.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005

The Note II is stable my friend.
No issues what so ever.
It's the best phone out there today Period!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Loving the note, just installed flash because I can. Already downloaded a custom keyboard (swift keyboard). This device is highly recommended!

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Got an iPhone 5 on launch day and returned it shortly after. Besides being taller, it's pretty much the exact same phone the past 2 years. iOS has become stale and boring with little no innovation. I also hate the way notification center is implemented on the device. (If it weren't for jailbreaking, I don't know how I could've managed).

With the Note II, besides the screen, expandable storage, battery, SPen features, etc, etc.. I'm able to customize the phone to fit into my daily life. Calendars, appointments, emails, tasks, notifications, all configured the way I want. With the iPhone, you're forced to adapt to their limited features and options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.