Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I must be unlucky as I always get an Apple device with a manufacturing fault. My white iPad Mini has a gap along the left while in portrait mode. Dirt is already getting trapped there. The rest of the devices bezel is tight against the aluminium edge - no gap. Made an appointment at Genius Bar this coming week. Anyone else have this gap? Seems like there's always some issue with every device! :(

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Apple's quality control is really pants now. Both the Mini's I got had debris under the screen. I went through about 7 3rd gen iPads until I got a decent one. Got very lucky with the 4th gen. Perfect first time.

It's mainly screen issues of some kind. Samsung don't seem to have the issues to the same extent. Must be a manufacturing style I guess.

The trouble is that Apple charge premium prices. And that needs top quality.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
apple's quality control is really pants now. Both the mini's i got had debris under the screen. I went through about 7 3rd gen ipads until i got a decent one. Got very lucky with the 4th gen. Perfect first time.

It's mainly screen issues of some kind. Samsung don't seem to have the issues to the same extent. Must be a manufacturing style i guess.

The trouble is that apple charge premium prices. And that needs top quality.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352674909.932896.jpg

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I was wondering if/when someone would have an issue like that.

It's funny, I picked up a 7th gen iPod nano the other night and I've been looking at it thinking "I wonder why they didn't design the iPad min/iPhone 5 like this?"

There's no sharp lip that will gather dirt or be so fragile that the anodized layer wears off.

I guess the advantage with the black one is that even though the edge of the aluminum wears off and looks bad, you can't see the dirt that builds up between it and the display.

xandable

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
California
Sounds like you got unlucky and should have it replaced. Mine's black and came out of the box perfect. No gaps, no nicks, no scratches.

TheIceman

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
I must be unlucky as I always get an Apple device with a manufacturing fault. My white iPad Mini has a gap along the left while in portrait mode. Dirt is already getting trapped there. The rest of the devices bezel is tight against the aluminium edge - no gap. Made an appointment at Genius Bar this coming week. Anyone else have this gap? Seems like there's always some issue with every device! :(

Yep, I have the same problem.
On the right side the gap around the screen is bigger then on the left side.
It seems that dirt/dust is stuck inside. I don't know if I'll replace it, because it doesn't really bother me right now, as long as it isn't visible ON the display.

Apple QA seems to be a not so got as it was...

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Just got it swapped at Apple Store and the replacement does not have the same issue...

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Good work captain.

Mine has a tiny tiny tiny space but I find comfort knowing the glass is (excessively) glued to the frame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.