Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
Its impossible to have IR on an LCD screen only plasmas or old CRTs can have IR.

That is absolutely untrue. I work in the display industry and with LC panels. They certainly can have image retention if the LC driver does not properly DC balance the charge across the pixels. If people are seeing an image retention issue, it could simply be a faulty LCD driver.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Anyone who has replaced this iPad 13 times deserves to see this phenomenon for the rest of their life. Why start threads like this? Have nothing to do, try dating. :p

So your position is people should pay a premium on a device that is marketed with a premium display and then just take it up the butt when the display is inferior to most other displays?

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
So your position is people should pay a premium on a device that is marketed with a premium display and then just take it up the butt when the display is inferior to most other displays?

What I am saying is that if you are to not happy after 13 replacements . . .maybe it is not the product that is defective:mad:

Last edited:

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009

No, you should take it back to an Apple store for a replacement. End of story.

briceman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Still have IR on my iPad 2. I am considering getting on the phone and demanding a full refund because this is absolutely ridiculous...

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Op, how long was your settings page on screen? I had IR when a black and white clock was left on for a few minutes on my ipad 3, but it went away soon after.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
No, you should take it back to an Apple store for a replacement. End of story.

Kind of hard to do when after 7 display replacements with the LG panel in my Retina Macbook Pro, the store tells me this is "normal display characteristics".

I had to drive across town to the other Apple store where a manager on duty agreed that displays should not have image retention after 2 minutes and knew how to get the Samsung display I wanted by looking it up in the web system. Most people aren't that lucky and basically Apple was giving them the big "lol you're screwed".

----------

What I am saying is that if you are to happy after 13 replacements . . .maybe it is not the product that is defective:mad:

It's no coincidence that these people got 13 LG panels and then a Samsung panel and they were happy with the Samsung panel.

It's also no coincidence that all display replacement parts are all NOW Samsung parts.

----------

Op, how long was your settings page on screen? I had IR when a black and white clock was left on for a few minutes on my ipad 3, but it went away soon after.

Probably like 10 minutes. I went downstairs to brew a cup of coffee.

Last edited:
S

syd430

I saw image retention for the time at a local store here. It was the display Samsung galaxy III and you see a faint outline of the Samsung galaxy S III logo (im assuming it was from the boot screen) all across the middle section of the screen (taking up about 20-30% of the screen). It woudnt go away as i played with the phone. Quite interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.