Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:36 PM   #1
hwrdrrk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Simple but Important iMac Question

I am upgrading my iMac from 4GB of RAM to either:

12GB of RAM (+4 +4)

or

16GB of RAM (Remove both of the 2GB and add +4 +4 +4 +4)

The first option will run me $34
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1333mh...=1333+mhz+ddr3

The second will run me $61

I would prefer to spend $34, but if 16GB of RAM is highly advisable over 12GB of RAM for some reason I won't let cost get in the way.

While I am an avid mac user, professional musician, and amateur video editor, I do not understand computers well enough to know how significant 16GB vs. 12GB is.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
hwrdrrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:58 PM   #2
martinm0
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I have 12GB in my 2011 21.5" base iMac and its enough for me. I run a lot of Handbrake encodes, BD rips, iTunes, Safari, RDP all at the same time and it works well (don't think I ever have an issue with running out of memory).

And if you find that 12GB isn't enough, its only an additional $7 to buy 8GB more of RAM later than buying all 16GB up front for $61 (vs. 2x $34).
martinm0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
hwrdrrk
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
I have 12GB in my 2011 21.5" base iMac and its enough for me. I run a lot of Handbrake encodes, BD rips, iTunes, Safari, RDP all at the same time and it works well (don't think I ever have an issue with running out of memory).

And if you find that 12GB isn't enough, its only an additional $7 to buy 8GB more of RAM later than buying all 16GB up front for $61 (vs. 2x $34).
Well said. For me, it's more about the install than the money. Flipping the iMac on its back and installing memory might be a 5-minute thing for tech savvy folk, but I'm the guy who barely knows how to find a screw driver let alone use one. So given that I'll only perform the job once...

I think you're right. If 12GB works for your needs, I think it will for mine as well. Anyone else go from a 12GB machine to a 16GB machine and notice significant improvement?
hwrdrrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:04 PM   #4
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816
 
mentaluproar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
You can never have too much ram. You might as well max it out since you will be in there anyway,
__________________
Powered by OSX 10.9 Ocelot
Will someone please make a safari extension that gives us back the downvote button?
mentaluproar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:56 PM   #5
martinm0
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
You can never have too much ram. You might as well max it out since you will be in there anyway,
Equally good point here. You really can't have too much. We never asked what you use your machine for, but if its any combination of what I do 12GB should be plenty. Could put the extra money towards an SSD and Seagate Thunderbolt sled to really make that puppy scream...

And you shouldn't need to flip the iMac on its back. I was able to just pop them in with it upright. Do note that if you are removing the RAM, there are little plastic tabs you pull on to unseat the modules. You have to tug pretty hard (or at least I had to on mine).
martinm0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:18 AM   #6
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwrdrrk View Post
I am upgrading my iMac from 4GB of RAM to either:

12GB of RAM (+4 +4)

or

16GB of RAM (Remove both of the 2GB and add +4 +4 +4 +4)

The first option will run me $34
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1333mh...=1333+mhz+ddr3

The second will run me $61

I would prefer to spend $34, but if 16GB of RAM is highly advisable over 12GB of RAM for some reason I won't let cost get in the way.

While I am an avid mac user, professional musician, and amateur video editor, I do not understand computers well enough to know how significant 16GB vs. 12GB is.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
You should just spend the extra and max it out; that way you won't have to worry about adding more RAM until you buy your next computer. Also, while the price of the jump to 16GB may drop, odds are it won't be by too much all that soon, so it's not like you'll have any kind of buyers remorse for spending $25ish more. It's a stupid premium, but so it goes.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
important question ToM7 Mac Basics and Help 3 Jul 15, 2013 06:23 AM
Important Xcode Question DavidBlack Mac Programming 5 Feb 25, 2013 12:46 PM
Very Simple 2011 Imac Compatibility Question DrJack6 iMac 2 Jan 15, 2013 08:33 PM
very important question big.mama iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Nov 8, 2012 02:52 AM
important question about the new mac mini Agnoslibertine Wasteland 0 Oct 31, 2012 12:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC