Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
On a whim I bought a 20" intel 2.16ghz c2d iMac on eBay that needs a new display. My plan is to replace the display and resell it.

What do these go for these days?

Thanks.

TechyRod

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
South FL
whats it worth?

I have a display for that Imac sittin in my garage, the unit i have needs a motherboard which isnt even worth replacing, I dont see why a fully functional Imac this year model shouldn't fetch atleast $250-350 right buyer might pay 400 with things included. But this is just my opinion

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Two years ago.....

I saw same machine sold, albeit with a replaced motherboard going for $600. Mild use, good cosmetic condition, 4 GB RAM. Maybe adjusting for depreciation, use and cosmetic state, you can get $350-400.

Also, if sold through a online site, factor in shipping costs/fees

:):apple:

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Not enough to make that procedure worth doing.

I like fiddling with things, so if I break even I'll at least be able to enjoy doing the work.

But it sounds like I'll at least make a few bucks.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I like fiddling with things, so if I break even I'll at least be able to enjoy doing the work.

But it sounds like I'll at least make a few bucks.

If you had a spare panel lying around, I'd say do it. But as it stands, you will likely not make back the cost of the panel. If anything, you'll lose money doing it. If the experience is worth the cost, go for it. But if you're hoping to make money, I can assure you, you will not.

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
If you had a spare panel lying around, I'd say do it. But as it stands, you will likely not make back the cost of the panel. If anything, you'll lose money doing it. If the experience is worth the cost, go for it. But if you're hoping to make money, I can assure you, you will not.

I picked up a panel too. All told I'm $227 into it.

Like I said it was on a whim. Quick research suggested $300-$400 but maybe I'm off. But I think I'll at least break even.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I picked up a panel too. All told I'm $227 into it.

Like I said it was on a whim. Quick research suggested $300-$400 but maybe I'm off. But I think I'll at least break even.

Two things to bear in mind: 1) iMacs do not retain their value as well as the laptops do. They retain their value much better than PCs, for sure. But they don't retain their value all that well. Your machine is six years old at this point and it, at the absolute best, can only run up to Lion, making it a poor buy for anyone, especially given that a Mac mini capable of running Mountain Lion (if not beyond) will cost $350. 2) I doubt you will get $300 for it.

Again, that ought to be a fun repair and that might, alone be worth the extra money, but don't get your hopes up on breaking even.

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Two things to bear in mind: 1) iMacs do not retain their value as well as the laptops do. They retain their value much better than PCs, for sure. But they don't retain their value all that well. Your machine is six years old at this point and it, at the absolute best, can only run up to Lion, making it a poor buy for anyone, especially given that a Mac mini capable of running Mountain Lion (if not beyond) will cost $350. 2) I doubt you will get $300 for it.

Again, that ought to be a fun repair and that might, alone be worth the extra money, but don't get your hopes up on breaking even.

But I've got the box and everything :D

All good points. Maybe the lesson here is don't make quick-decision eBay purchases :) It's all good tho. It will be fun to try and fix. I'll tell you what tho, if I had a magic potion for fixing water-damaged MacBook's I could make millions.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
But I've got the box and everything :D

All good points. Maybe the lesson here is don't make quick-decision eBay purchases :) It's all good tho. It will be fun to try and fix. I'll tell you what tho, if I had a magic potion for fixing water-damaged MacBook's I could make millions.

So true - its hard to make much money off eBay - buying and reselling. However if you enjoy working on Macs and the experience that brings - then you have scored. I find working on Macs is a fun hobby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.