Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
His name is already off the lease. The only thing here of his are his things. I'm confident the school won't release any info. As we've all signed extensive documents asking if we even want our names mentioned within a UCLA search database.

As for the storage unit idea... it's too much hassle and effort. Hundreds of pounds worth of books, clothing etc. We don't have time to handle this especially during the middle of the quarter. I would much rather leave his stuff as is, but if I speak with both the landlord/owner of this complex and the leaser holder of this apartment, i'll make sure to cover my ass by having them sign papers saying at their discretion that we can throw or keep this guy's stuff. Perhaps because i'm living here within this guy's stuff that I feel it's his fault for not having dealt with this before hand, or at the very least communicating with us that he would be somewhere out and about for months on end.

Differently however, if something did happen to him then obviously all of these items will and should go to his family.

So keep his stuff.

It sounds like you don't really want advice - you just want everyone make you feel better and tell you it's cool to keep everything.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
His name is already off the lease. The only thing here of his are his things. I'm confident the school won't release any info. As we've all signed extensive documents asking if we even want our names mentioned within a UCLA search database.

As for the storage unit idea... it's too much hassle and effort. Hundreds of pounds worth of books, clothing etc. We don't have time to handle this especially during the middle of the quarter. I would much rather leave his stuff as is, but if I speak with both the landlord/owner of this complex and the leaser holder of this apartment, i'll make sure to cover my ass by having them sign papers saying at their discretion that we can throw or keep this guy's stuff. Perhaps because i'm living here within this guy's stuff that I feel it's his fault for not having dealt with this before hand, or at the very least communicating with us that he would be somewhere out and about for months on end.

Differently however, if something did happen to him then obviously all of these items will and should go to his family.
You should of had all this in writing when you signed the lease to cover yourself. If you get rid of his stuff and the family comes after you that becomes your mess.

----------

So keep his stuff.

It sounds like you don't really want advice - you just want everyone make you feel better and tell you it's cool to keep everything.
This guy has a track record of things like this, he is like Waloshin lite.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
You should of had all this in writing when you signed the lease to cover yourself. If you get rid of his stuff and the family comes after you that becomes your mess.

----------

I thought I would get perhaps links to california law, but didn't really. The issue surrounds more towards the owner of this apartment and the complex; two separate individuals... I do want a bike, but only if I can appropriately attain it.

----------

You should have thought of that before signing a lease with someone you do not know.

But I can still come up positive in this situation. I just have to approach it correctly, which explains the infancy in this thread.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I thought I would get perhaps links to california law, but didn't really. The issue surrounds more towards the owner of this apartment and the complex; two separate individuals... I do want a bike, but only if I can appropriately attain it.
The issue is not with the owner, he is just taking money from whoever. Plus I am sure he covered his ass already. You signed a legally binding contract.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
A quote from your OP:

Good luck.

Yeah, i'm not lie that a new bike would be killer.. and the situation may or may not allow me to get it. It's all speculative at this point as to whats happened to this guy...but he's been missing, we all met him once and was shady, so we are eyeing his stuff. Honestly, I'm sure we'll take it....

the point of this thread was to have tools at our disposal for when and if he does come back from his 2-3 month hiatus just leaving us here with a cluttered room and having to pay his rent.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

I never once said you should try to get information from the school. I'm fairly certain that once you explain the situation to the school they will want to get in touch with his family. That should not be difficult to understand. Considering the value of the things he left behind it's possible that something has happened to him that makes it impossible for him to come and get his things.

Could be anything, dead, in jail or touring Europe on a bike. I guess I'm just the guy that will go to any possible length to have his family notified that he's diapered. Hey, they may turn around and say "Good we don't care". But under the circumstances I think it's the right thing to do. If he didn't leave any family contact info with teh landlord then the only other place is the school.

And again, I'm not telling you that you should try to get info from the school but rather give the info to the school. Tell them he has disappeared and left all his belongings behind. If they act responsibly they will contact his family.

Is it just me or does that sound like the logical thing to do?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Agree with the advice to let UCLA know about this and let them contact his family, if they can. I don't know what your rights are as far as his property is concerned. You ought to seek legal advice before doing anything with his possessions, though.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yeah, i'm not lie that a new bike would be killer.. and the situation may or may not allow me to get it. It's all speculative at this point as to whats happened to this guy...but he's been missing, we all met him once and was shady, so we are eyeing his stuff. Honestly, I'm sure we'll take it....

the point of this thread was to have tools at our disposal for when and if he does come back from his 2-3 month hiatus just leaving us here with a cluttered room and having to pay his rent.
So you want to take a shady guys stuff in hopes he doesn't come back?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
So you want to take a shady guys stuff in hopes he doesn't come back?

No, truly I've expected him to return at some point and wanted to offer to buy his bike off him. I would imagine he would let me since he's not used his in the 2-3 months he's been gone...

..but here we are.

As for this guy missing in particular, I'll call his family if the lease holder of this penthouse has that info... but further than that i'm fairly certain popping onto campus and explaining the situation won't do much. They won't give me any info and I'm sure no one one campus will call anyone. Or they may, who knows. It's not that big of a hassle to pop into admissions and ask..

But I'm fairly certain this guy ain't coming back. His stuff is here and am confident he dropped outta school. My best guess is he went back home, which all I know is about 20 miles away. Which assists in understanding why not one person has come looking for him. Anyways, thats speculation.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
No, truly I've expected him to return at some point and wanted to offer to buy his bike off him. I would imagine he would let me since he's not used his in the 2-3 months he's been gone...

..but here we are.

As for this guy missing in particular, I'll call his family if the lease holder of this penthouse has that info... but further than that i'm fairly certain popping onto campus and explaining the situation won't do much. They won't give me any info and I'm sure no one one campus will call anyone. Or they may, who knows. It's not that big of a hassle to pop into admissions and ask..

But I'm fairly certain this guy ain't coming back. His stuff is here and am confident he dropped outta school. My best guess is he went back home, which all I know is about 20 miles away. Which assists in understanding why not one person has come looking for him. Anyways, thats speculation.
If this guys has such expensive stuff and only lives 20 miles away why would he not come back for it?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
IF this guys has such expensive stuff and only lives 20 miles away why would he not come back for it?

Exactly, which is why we're so befuddled. I've called him weekly, at times leaving him voicemail or text messages. Only until today has the phone line been disconnected and prompting me to create this needless thread.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Exactly, which is why we're so befuddled. I've called him weekly, at times leaving him voicemail or text messages. Only until today has the phone line been disconnected and prompting me to create this needless thread.
The whole thing sounds sketchy. I say call the authorities and have them deal with it.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
File missing persons report (cover your arse), the cops may be able to contact his family to collect his stuff. If nothing else, they should be able to give you an idea of what to do next. Who knows, he could have had an accident, died, or whatever.

If he isn't paying rent, his gear should not be in the house. IANAL, but as far as I can see you have no responsibility to look after it, have it take up space in your apartment, etc.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Go to the police and file a missing persons report. Considering you have not done that yet is pretty sad.

You know he is missing. Good idea to file the report.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Go to the police and file a missing persons report. Considering you have not done that yet is pretty sad.

Thats the thing, you would think that after the first week that something is wrong.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Don't talk to the school, they'll only make things more complicated because one person will send you to another, while that person will send you back. They do not know how to handle a situation like this.

Call the police and let them go through the hassle of obtaining records and other information about the guy and just leave it at that. And whatever you do, don't talk to his family, because if he is missing, it's not something they want to hear from a complete stranger who was just his roommate.

Move his stuff into a closet or something, but don't worry too much about it. The TV is fine to use, but nothing else of his.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

This is exactly what I've been talking about. If it was me that's what I would do. I said go to the school because I believe they will take this seriously. And I don't mean go to some part-time receptionist. Speak with someone of authority at the school, but yeah calling the police and filing a missing persons report could be very effective in letting his family know that there may be something wrong.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Look into your jurisdiction's laws regarding abandoned property. I had a similar situation with a roommate in college, who skipped out during spring break owing me a ton of money and leaving a fair bit of things behind. According to my lawyer, after 7 days it was mine. Your laws may vary.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Thats the thing, you would think that after the first week that something is wrong.

Well, everyone that's known him (the lease holder and landlord only) say he comes and goes so its not a big issue. But considering school is 7 weeks in, they've assumed he just dropped out.. but doesn't explain his stuff still being here. I can only now wait for the guy in Africa to reply to me, but different time zones and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.