Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Does a data only sim give you a phone number to text from? I doubt it, but I'm not 100% sure.

You can try Google Voice or something similar. That should work.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Does a data only sim give you a phone number to text from? I doubt it, but I'm not 100% sure.

You can try Google Voice or something similar. That should work.

No, not an SMS text through the Messages app. Another app, like Google Voice, or an iMessage works. You are assigned a number even on a data-only sim however it is not provisioned for calls or SMS messages.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
This guy again...

I currently have a data-only sim in one of my iPhone 3GS & it's working fine. But since it's data-only, it strictly means data-only, no calls or text for that matter. The only way to send "texts" would be through an app like Whatsapp or Kakaotalk. The only way to make "calls" would be through Skype or some other app with the same function.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
That's too bad.

In an ideal world I'd be able to disable phone calls and ONLY have

Texts
iMessage
Email
Safari
YouTube.

Just Internet basically with messaging (texts and iMessage).

I would LOVE something like this.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
That's too bad.

Texts
iMessage
Email
Safari
YouTube.

Pretty sure thats called an ipod , tablet, laptop, or computer.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Why would you think a data only SIM card can text(through normal carrier-based SMS)? Data only means data only.

Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If you can prove to your tel-co that you can't hear, they'll give you a sim that does texts and data. Otherwise, you get a pay as you go sim and just use data and texts (it'll be more expensive though).

I send texts via google voice and haven't had issues. That or one of the other recommendations will work.

Texts
iMessage
Email
Safari
YouTube.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Does a data only sim give you a phone number to text from? I doubt it, but I'm not 100% sure

Yes, it will.

Every SIM has to have an MSISDN attached to it.

That doesn't mean that the SIM will be provisioned to allow either voice or messaging services to be used though.

Why would you think a data only SIM card can text(through normal carrier-based SMS)? Data only means data only.

Most mobile broadband devices (dongles, Mi-Fis etc.) are designed to send and receive SMS. They're used by some carriers to send messages to the customer about their account.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Don't you have to verify the phone number for whatsapp, google voice, and vonage on your data only phone? How do you get around that?

Thanks, I'm planning on doing the same as you if it's possible.

Google Voice app is available for the iPad and the iPod touch. An iPhone with data only isn't much different.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Is google voice really as reliable as SMS?

I'd imagine its like text free or something lol those are SO hit or miss

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Google Voice is extremely reliable (at least for me anyway). I use GV text and voice for both personal and business use.

Really?

1) How much is google voice

2) on my iPhone 5, with a data sim, could I disable the phone call part of google voice?

I only want texting, Internet, YouTube, Netflix, email.

No phone calls.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Free. International calling is not free though.

Not sure.

Ok. That's great I'll have to sign up for google voice. Not sure what I could use the extra line for but it's definitely worth getting.

I wish someone on here knew if the phone part could be turned off.

Anyone?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Ok. That's great I'll have to sign up for google voice. Not sure what I could use the extra line for but it's definitely worth getting.

I wish someone on here knew if the phone part could be turned off.

Anyone?

Just get a data only line and put a voice block on the account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.