Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
You ask what you wanna ask and then click the siri button/microphone button INSTANTLY AFTER your done talking for it to comprehend and process what you said faster instead of waiting for the ping sound that Siri does to let you know its processing. It actually does work and makes Siri 2-3 SECONDS FASTER for me about 90% of the time..go ahead and try it

Last edited:

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
This is good advice. Sometimes when I use Siri, after a few seconds it still doesn't register and it gets annoying since the whole point of Siri is to make things easier for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
actually it doesnt just save a half of a second or one second, it actually speeds up Siri pretty noticebly on certain questions but for some questions it speeds it up a bit.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
actually it doesnt just save a half of a second or one second, it actually speeds up Siri pretty noticebly on certain questions but for some questions it speeds it up a bit.

i find it most useful in a noisy environment; which in my experience makes siri take longer to process what you've said.

anonjd

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2012
I actually found this out a few months after I had my 4S, and I, personally, found it useful. At time it would take 5+ seconds to process what I said/asked.

I know it's not a lot of time, but just nice to know it's there.

I appreciate the OP taking time to post this, as I'm sure at least one person will find this useful. I know I would have, before I found out about it.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
I actually found this out a few months after I had my 4S, and I, personally, found it useful. At time it would take 5+ seconds to process what I said/asked.

I know it's not a lot of time, but just nice to know it's there.

I appreciate the OP taking time to post this, as I'm sure at least one person will find this useful. I know I would have, before I found out about it.

it defitnetly is useful to me, speeds up Siri by 2-3 seconds at least for me every time...

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
:mad:
May I assume that you are using Raise to speak? Otherwise, it makes no sense and doesn't work.

No im not using raise to speak...how dont you get what I am saying? I hold the home button down and ask Siri something..once im doing sayin whatever i say to Siri I hit the microphone button instantly and it processes the words I say faster. In my case it improves Siri's speed by about 2 seconds

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows

No im not using raise to speak...how dont you get what I am saying? I hold the home button down and ask Siri something..once im doing sayin whatever i say to Siri I hit the microphone button instantly and it processes the words I say faster. In my case it improves Siri's speed by about 2 seconds

I have to admit, I didn't get it from your OP either. (but trusted you)
NOW I read this and tried it and, yes, helpful!
Thanks

----------

Exactly.
If there's noise in the back Siri takes longer to realize you are done talking.
If there's no sound or noise she's fine without clicking anything.

This makes it make perfect sense. I have the biggest problem when I'm running. (I assume my tired, ragged breathing is the background noise lol).
I'll try this tomorrow morning.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This reminds me of a funny incident with Siri.

I was in the lift, and had just issued it a command. Just as it was about to register, the lift door opened, and the resulting chiming noise delayed Siri from pinging. :p

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA

Don't get snippy with me. :rolleyes: This second explanation makes more sense because it's more specific. You essentially give Siri a nudge by tapping the onscreen icon as soon as you've finished speaking, as if to prod her along faster. You see? I do get it. :) And now everyone else does, too.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Don't get snippy with me. :rolleyes: This second explanation makes more sense because it's more specific. You essentially give Siri a nudge by tapping the onscreen icon as soon as you've finished speaking, as if to prod her along faster. You see? I do get it. :) And now everyone else does, too.

My bad, and yes exactly

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
You ask what you wanna ask and then click the siri button/microphone button INSTANTLY AFTER your done talking for it to comprehend and process what you said faster instead of waiting for the ping sound that Siri does to let you know its processing. It actually does work and makes Siri 2-3 SECONDS FASTER for me about 90% of the time..go ahead and try it

So you're saying if you hit the button that you hit to ask her a question a few seconds faster than it would usually be if you just let her "stop" the interaction it takes a few seconds less for Siri to do her thing.

Not sure I understand. Instead of the typical pause that is there after you ask your question you hit the button which causes her to "think" about it a few seconds faster and this make the entire siri interaction a few seconds faster...... So you cause it to be a few seconds shorter yet you're excited/surprised that it's a few seconds shorter.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to make sense if you shorten the time by pressing the button the time of your interaction would be shorter. Is there more to it than that?

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
When I first got my 4S I thought you have to do this after speaking :D Did not know you could just leave it to respond till after.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Completely agree, this is a very useful trick that I hope this thread helps many more people find out about it.

How it this a "trick"? You push the button to initiate Siri to "find' your question. I've been doing this from day one. I don't see why people WOULDN'T do this. If you push the button to have her listen just seems logical that you would push the button to "stop" asking siri what you want to know.

Again, maybe I'm missing something.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
So you're saying if you hit the button that you hit to ask her a question a few seconds faster than it would usually be if you just let her "stop" the interaction it takes a few seconds less for Siri to do her thing.

Not sure I understand. Instead of the typical pause that is there after you ask your question you hit the button which causes her to "think" about it a few seconds faster and this make the entire siri interaction a few seconds faster...... So you cause it to be a few seconds shorter yet you're excited/surprised that it's a few seconds shorter.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to make sense if you shorten the time by pressing the button the time of your interaction would be shorter. Is there more to it than that?

Okay do this.Hold home button and bring up Siri Ask Siri "how big is the moon?" Or whatever question/command you want to ask it. Right after your done speaking like literally a millsecond after your done speaking push the microphone button and it will process faster and give you your answer faster

----------

Im not "super excited " or "suprised" ... All it does is make Siri 2-3 seconds faster in giving you your answer/command. Its not a breakthrough or a revelation, just a neat little trick I found.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I have an even better trick for making Siri faster - namely, putting all of the voice recognition internal to the phone so that the digitized snippet of dictation does need to be sent over the network.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Okay do this.Hold home button and bring up Siri Ask Siri "how big is the moon?" Or whatever question/command you want to ask it. Right after your done speaking like literally a millsecond after your done speaking push the microphone button and it will process faster and give you your answer faster

----------

Im not "super excited " or "suprised" ... All it does is make Siri 2-3 seconds faster in giving you your answer/command. Its not a breakthrough or a revelation, just a neat little trick I found.

OMG how is this a "trick"?? It's how Siri functions..... I guess I'm either a freaking genius because I've been doing this from day one OR I'm a total moron because I'm missing the entire point of this thread. I'll go with door #2 and make a graceful exit.

Enjoy using siri the way it was designed and have a great day!

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
OMG how is this a "trick"?? It's how Siri functions..... I guess I'm either a freaking genius because I've been doing this from day one OR I'm a total moron because I'm missing the entire point of this thread. I'll go with door #2 and make a graceful exit.

Enjoy using siri the way it was designed and have a great day!

Well usually people wait for the ping sound, the sound that Siri gives you to let you know she got your command and is processing the information. But sometimes it takes a little while for it to give you that feedback

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.