Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:20 AM   #1
marty1990
macrumors 6502

Design plagiarism?

I've been contracted to design an infographic surrounding Star Trek. In my infographic there are cartoon versions of Kirk and Spock, however I'm a little concerned. For you see, the company I have designed the infographic for really like the look of my 'cartoony' versions of the characters, but, after looking on visual.ly, I've found an Obama/Romney infographic, and the style of Obama and Romney is pretty much the same as mine. If I keep that look on my infographic, could I be done for plagiarism, or would it be classed as just a standard design?

http://visual.ly/what-obama-and-romney-voters

That's the original, I shan't post mine as the company is hoping to use my infographic as part of an online campaign, and they don't want it live yet.
marty1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Just claim it's "an homage".

That's how everyone gets away with shamelessly ripping people off these days.
Drunken Master is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:50 AM   #3
marty1990
macrumors 6502

Thats the thing I didn't attempt to copy, I designed this infographic, sent it to my client, they liked it, then a friend showed me the Obama one, and now am worried.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:09 AM   #4
ChrisA
macrumors G4

One cannot copyright a style, only content. If your web page can be mistaken for their web page then you may have violated copyright. If it is only a similar style but with different content then there is no copyright violation.

This does extend to sub-parts of the page, for example if you lifted a cartoon on Romney, but you did not do that.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:18 AM   #5
marty1990
macrumors 6502

So, even though my Star Trek characters are in the same style as Obama and Romney, it's okay if this were to get published online?

Last edited by marty1990; Nov 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Lunfai
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1990 View Post
So, even thought my Star Trek characters are in the same style as Obama and Romney, it's okay if this were to get published online?
Aslong as the rest of the design/web page isn't similar, then you're good to go.
Lunfai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:07 PM   #7
marty1990
macrumors 6502

yeah, everything is my own, even the characters. just the design of the characters is similar to the romney/obama on the above infographic.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:07 PM   #8
sigmadog
macrumors 6502

Personally, I would be more concerned about the potential copyright infringement of Star Trek.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:15 PM   #9
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
I've seen other very similar info graphics but they had different content, like yours I'm guessing, so I have to agree with everyone else. You're good to go.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:35 PM   #10
marty1990
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
Personally, I would be more concerned about the potential copyright infringement of Star Trek.
Yeah, that was my concern too, but they aren't bothered, so that's their decision. The characters are my doing, but if there's similar designs, I'll just leave them as they are then.

Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:00 PM   #11
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

If general styles could be copyrighted, everyone, myself included, would be getting sued once a month. Like someone else said, I would be more worried about Star Trek than anything else. That's more of the client's concern, though.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:43 PM   #12
lucidmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dylan34 View Post
That's more of the client's concern, though.
I respectfully disagree. You cannot absolve yourself of legal responsibility just by saying "someone else told me to / someone else paid me to...". The courts do not work like that (unless you can prove you were coerced).

If you drew it, you infringed it.

If a copyright lawyer comes after this project, both the artist and client will bear responsibility. Do you think your client will protect you? Pay for your damages? In my experience clients are pretty quick to throw designers under a bus.

I am not a lawyer, but I have hired copyright lawyers to protect my intellectual property and won. These guys make $800/hr and, in my case, hit the other guy so hard his book publishing company had to declare bankruptcy.
lucidmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:56 PM   #13
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidmedia View Post
I respectfully disagree. You cannot absolve yourself of legal responsibility just by saying "someone else told me to / someone else paid me to...". The courts do not work like that (unless you can prove you were coerced).

If you drew it, you infringed it.

If a copyright lawyer comes after this project, both the artist and client will bear responsibility. Do you think your client will protect you? Pay for your damages? In my experience clients are pretty quick to throw designers under a bus.

I am not a lawyer, but I have hired copyright lawyers to protect my intellectual property and won. These guys make $800/hr and, in my case, hit the other guy so hard his book publishing company had to declare bankruptcy.
You know, I wasn't really sure of that statement. I probably shouldn't have put it. I've never had to design something with content from one copyrighted entity for another entity, so I really have no idea what I'm talking about.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:55 AM   #14
R1PPER
macrumors 6502

The bottom line is...dont worry too much. There might be a 1% chance of there being any repercussions from this. Just answer the brief and if anything negative comes then pull it or adapt it.
R1PPER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:18 AM   #15
steveash
macrumors regular

You probably have nothing to worry about but seriously, I wouldn't take legal advice from an internet forum. If you have concerns then speak to a lawyer. If you can't afford to then raise your concerns in writing with your client and make sure you have indemnity insurance.
steveash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:52 AM   #16
Belly-laughs
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Belly-laughs
You've made an infographics with star wars characters and are worried it may look too much like a list infographics with two faceless people? i wouldn't worry the slightest.

i think you will find plenty more examples of similar styled graphics if you do a search.
Belly-laughs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:48 PM   #17
tgurske
macrumors newbie

It has to be damn close to be an issue. It's hard to protect a design. If you take text, a photo or an exact drawing, then you're screwed. But, an overall design has to be extremely close to even be considered a problem.
tgurske is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics