Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
I'm considering getting the Mac mini as an upgrade to my MacBook Air. One problem I'm having however is that I need more then one thunderbolt port... I have a 2010 Cinema Display that I would use with the mini but I would like to still have access to the thunderbolt port. Is there anything on the market that would allow this? Y cables? Thunderbolt hubs? Anything? Most of the hubs I have found are vaporware and expensive! It would be nice if there was something out there under $50 for what I want to do! Does anyone know of anything or have any other ideas? Could I connect the display through hdmi? Any advice would be appreciated!

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I'm considering getting the Mac mini as an upgrade to my MacBook Air. One problem I'm having however is that I need more then one thunderbolt port... I have a 2010 Cinema Display that I would use with the mini but I would like to still have access to the thunderbolt port. Is there anything on the market that would allow this? Y cables? Thunderbolt hubs? Anything? Most of the hubs I have found are vaporware and expensive! It would be nice if there was something out there under $50 for what I want to do! Does anyone know of anything or have any other ideas? Could I connect the display through hdmi? Any advice would be appreciated!

I'd suggest just selling your old display and buying a thunderbolt display. I've heard using these hubs are a pain and as you stated, very expensive.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
I really don't want to go through the hassle and I'm still going to eat about $150+. Right now I'm considering this only as a last resort... Thanks for the advice though!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Why can't you just daisy chain? That's the whole point of thunderbolt.... Granted that makes it more difficult to pull a drive and take it with you.....

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
I have a Cinema Display not Thunderbolt Display because I currently have a 2010 MacBook Air which doesn't have thunderbolt port and thereby can't use a Thunderbolt Display. I actually received a Thunderbolt Display as a gift from my parents and had to return it and exchange for a Cinema Display to use it.

----------

What display do you have, 27" Cinema Display?

Yes that's exactly what I have.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I have a Cinema Display not Thunderbolt Display because I currently have a 2010 MacBook Air which doesn't have thunderbolt port and thereby can't use a Thunderbolt Display. I actually received a Thunderbolt Display as a gift from my parents and had to return it and exchange for a Cinema Display to use it.

----------

Why not just buy an iMac?

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Thats on the table to. I'm a college student so money is a little tight. If i can get away with spending $700 vs $1300 then I'm going to do it.

Sell your apple cinema display ($700 maybe a little less) + $700 = just enough for a 21.5" iMac ($1299). New one comes out this month.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005

----------

The MBA with Mini DisplayPort can use Thunderbolt. That's the reason it's the same exact shape as MDP.

domhoenig

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
why not daisy chain? have the monitor at the end of the thunderbolt chain and it will work! mini display port is the same connector so will work in a daisy chained scenario!

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
i still fail to see why he can't daisy chain...

mac mini > thunderbolt item > thunderbolt Item > 23" cinema display through dvi to mini displayport adapter.

where's the problem?

The OP did not state that he wanted two displays, He wants to use his to 27" cinema display with a Mac Mini but needs access to an additional thunderbolt port, likely for some other peripheral accessory. He is asking whether there so thunderbolt splitter or hub device that can allow this and is priced modestly.

Get it yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.