Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxemanPhil

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
This is what I thought - targeting iPad sales to the holiday season instead of iPhone

I think this makes sense. Early adopter / Apple enthusiasts aside, many people's phone renewal schedule is driven by the expiry of their carrier contract, which could really be at any time of the year. I suspect a much greater proportion of iPads are bought contract free (either wifi only or pay as you go data) so releasing the new model just in time for Christmas & Black Friday makes more sense

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
The unknown secret, how to upgrade every year

That's all true and good, but you're forgetting Apple's love to limit new main features to the latest generation sometimes.
Or some of their apps. (Like iPad 1 cannot run iPhoto... Yeah, right... totally not an artificial limitation)

So the faster a new generation pops up, the more there will be until you can upgrade on a regular 2 year contract again, which essentially means that you're going to get left behind with new software stuff more often.

Hooray?

That's really the only thing that bugs me about all that.
I'd be cool if Apple let me have all their latest apps and all their latest features during those regular 2 years, which - let's be honest - most of us are stuck in that scheme.

I'm totally okay with buying a new iPhone every 2 years Apple, most of us are, or at least many.
Just don't give me the finger after one year.

Glassed Silver:mac

I agree that Apple shouldn't hold certain features hostage only to the latest models. My wife has an iPhone 4, and I know that it could run Siri. In fact, Siri was an app that I believe even worked on the 3GS before Apple put it inside the iPhone.

However, I run into many people that don't understand that you don't have to wait until the end of your two-year contract to upgrade and get the cheapest price. If you check with your carrier, you may be eligible after 18 months, or even just one year. AT&T had an unwritten rule that if your bill was over $99, you could upgrade every year. You were in fact required to restart your two-year contract, however, if you had gotten a new phone the year before, you were really only extending your original contract by one year. I also found when my plan changed to less than $99 a year, that I could upgrade to a more expensive plan for just two months prior to the new iPhone, and AT&T would shorten the renewal date so that I could get a new iPhone every year. I might spend an extra $40 over two months, but if I saved $200 on the new phone it was definitely worth it.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
iPhone 5s is most likely the first iPhone release I will not participate in regardless of when it's released.

RMarch

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
Except in the south...

The only reason would be to go back to the summer release cycle, which I preferred, as it is warmer then.

And when I say south, I mean Australia. I prefer the move to the fall as actually that is the spring and spring is the time of new life and perfect for the launch af a new iPhone. Sorry to say, but your summer theory is actually the winter theory so it must be debunked :)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'm ready when they are.

Hopefully they get rid of that stupid back casing. It scratches too easy. I liked the glass better.

FIrst it was "Get rid of the glass back it cracks/shatters too easily" Now this ^

I sold my iPhone5 immediately when i read this. Now I am without a phone, which is awful, but will get a new iPhone 5S very soon. :D

Someone's trigger happy

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I don't know why they changed it in the first place. They should go back to their original schedule of new iPad in March, iPhone in June at WWDC and iPod & iPad mini in September.

I'd also prefer it if they went back to an annual Mac only event in January every year instead of drip feeding the Mac updates throughout the year leaving everyone confused and clueless as to when new Macs are coming out.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I don't think you can read a January launch into this, even if u are interpret it at face value.

arn

Agreed. Could this mean they're thinking about returning to a summer launch for the iPhone though?

Edit: One of the major reasons why I liked Apple so much is they didn't release tons of different products every year, and they didn't refresh the same product line in the same year. Meaning your Apple gear stayed current(and supported with software upgrades) longer than other manufacturers gear. Now that is starting to change :(

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Another one ;)

Three will use the same spectrum as EE, so the iPhone 5 will work on their network.

The 1800 band is useless, particularly for indoor use. I'd much rather wait for Vodafone to launch their 4G network.

T-Mobile & Orange are by far the worst networks. Combined as one company, I can't think of a less attractive organisation to give my money to.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
How about the fix the WiFi issues with the iPhone 5 first. This is crap. I swear Apple is driving me more towards android every day!

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I know what Apple should do, turn the Mini iPad into the next iPhone, 8" screen, cool!
Excellent idea!

There's no good reason that the iPad can't be used as a phone - except for funneling enormous $profits to phone companies :D

I'd rather use VoIP than pay AT&T.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I really wouldn't mind Apple updating both the iPhone and iPad 2x a year.. They could probably better stay ahead in the spec race that way.. Not that people should care too much about specs, but performance.

It really depends what they add to the devices. I can't really imagine whats next for either other than spec bumps. The iPad 3 is fast. The iPad 4 is crazy fast, im guessing the ipad 5 will be ridiculously fast. Same applies to the iP6 / iP5S - does anyone really need/want more power than that in a phone? What for?! Properly optimised games should be smooth as silk already.

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
Just like when they released the 4S, I won't be in the least bit tempted by the 5S. Sure it'll have slightly better internals and a better camera, but it won't be a massive improvement over the 5.

Unfortunately, Apple will still get my money next year as my girlfriend is on the S cycle...

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
This does make sense - Apple is realising it struggles to stay ahead of the rest releasing just one phone per year. Back in the day - you knew the iPhone 1, 3G, 3GS and 4 would be the best phone available for at least a year - now, a better or at-least-as-good phone will come out at the same time as the iPhone.

It was when Apple waited so long to release the 4S, barely an update, that they got caught up. The days of one phone per year are gone - would Apple still be able to, in August 2013 for example, argue the iPhone 5 is the best phone out there?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
That's usually what S upgrades are, same housing, better internals.
... in order to improve the product without hurting people who feel bad if others know that they don't have the latest and greatest. Even if you are an iPhone 4 owner today (4, not 4s) and someone says you should buy an iPhone 5, you say "no, I've got a 4s (4s, not 4), that's almost the same" and they won't know the difference. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.