Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you currently have?

• iPhone with data plan + 4G iPad with data plan

Votes: 31 22.1%
  • iPhone w/o data plan + 4G iPad with data plan

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • iPhone with data plan + WiFi iPad

Votes: 107 76.4%
  • iPhone w/o data plan + WiFi iPad

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

solaris7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
I was curious about the general demographics. I am especially curious about people who have both an iPhone data plan and iPad data plan, why did you decide to buy two data plans, do you use your iPad outside a lot?

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I was curious about the general demographics. I am especially curious about people who have both an iPhone data plan and iPad data plan, why did you decide to buy two data plans, do you use your iPad outside a lot?

Data sharing plan with Verizon. I guess technically it's (ipad) is a separate plan at 10 a month.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If you did not want to be stuck in a contract, you could buy an unlocked phone and decide whether or not you want to use a data plan with it.

US carriers can tell what phone you are using. They will eventually detect you are using a smartphone and force you to get a data plan, or get off their network.

Candykwan

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
iPhone 4S day with ipad wifi only...i usually go to places with wifi available so no point of getting data for it unless I plan on using it outdoors..whichionoy do with the phone for obvious reasons...if I do need it for whatever reason I just hotspot my phone

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I've got an iPhone 5 with a tethering data plan. I use the tethering to connect my Wi-Fi iPad mini.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
iPhone 5 and WiFi 4th gen iPad. I tether my iPhone if I'm somewhere without WiFi. I have unlimited data included in my phone contract.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
iPhone 5 and ipad 3, no data plan on the ipad as most places I go have wifi. If not I have a 6gb plan on my iPhone and tethering is free.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
The results may be a bit skewed since there are a lot (myself included) who have iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, but have a preorder for the Mini (or 4th Gen) LTE.

Myself it's a no brainer because I have the data share (have 4 lines on it already), so for ten bux a month it's constant connectivity on the go. I mocked the data plan when ATT launched it, but it actually makes good sense for me.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

I dont think its even possible to get an iphone without a data plan

----------

Non of above.
I have

iPhone with data plan + 4G iPad with w/o data plan

winner

Trooper Sam

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
The results may be a bit skewed since there are a lot (myself included) who have iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, but have a preorder for the Mini (or 4th Gen) LTE.

Myself it's a no brainer because I have the data share (have 4 lines on it already), so for ten bux a month it's constant connectivity on the go. I mocked the data plan when ATT launched it, but it actually makes good sense for me.

If I'm reading this right, you have or will have both on your shared plan. I just don't understand why you'd pay the ten bucks a month to add your iPad to the plan when you can just tether from your iPhone and save the ten bucks.

Trooper Sam

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
Sloppy of me, I forgot to explain why I have data plans on both of my devices.

I have ULD on my AT&T iPhone 5. I don't dare tether because I was caught back when and I won't risk my plan now.

I have AT&T iPad ULD, and I ain't giving that up! I love that it's never throttled, and it's a beautiful thing with LTE.

Hendu98

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Minnesota
If I'm reading this right, you have or will have both on your shared plan. I just don't understand why you'd pay the ten bucks a month to add your iPad to the plan when you can just tether from your iPhone and save the ten bucks.

I too opted for LTE iPad instead of tethering. I have Verizon...so...I get enough calls/texts that I don't want to mess with dropped data connections when doing stuff. 10 bucks a month makes total sense to me. If I know a slow month is coming, I can always flip it off...but 10 bucks is nothing if I skip treats at a movie or some other non essential

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

Have you ever relied on a tether as on-demand? It's not practical. To leave tether on constantly drains the heck out of the battery. Also, when USING the data connection it's constantly using the phone's battery, so it'll be dead in about 3-4 hours of data usage. Plus I don't want to have to pull out the phone and enable tethering anytime I want to use the data. Plus I want access to GPS, which the WiFi model cannot do. Plus $10 is the price of two days of Starbucks, it's not going to bankrupt me. Plus I just want it to work.

Was that enough reasons? It's highly impractical to suggest using the phone to tether data for more than an extremely "on occasion" instance. Having data anytime\anywhere is a huge advantage for the iPad mini... moreso than the full size, because the mini will go with me many more places than my maxiPad ever did. :)

----------

This is by no means scientific. LOL. Most people go the cheap route over the most convenient route. It's like the people who line up with their engines running at Costco Gas to save $0.10 per gallon, yet they burn that while idling.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I have both with data, but on a shared data plan. My reasons:
  • I prefer ubiquitous access with my devices, and the cost is low enough that it's worth it to me.
  • On VZW, I can't tether and make a phone call at the same time
  • Tethering (to me) is a bit of a pain in the rump. I use it with a laptop sometimes, but wouldn't want to have to enable a hotspot every time I want to use my tablet.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My home optic fiber plan had a promotion for a free (albeit slow) wireless mobile data plan, which I am currently using on my ipad. Only reason why I got the 3G model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.