Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JrFreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Just over the past week or so my lock button isn't working as well as it did when I first got it. Now I have to push it harder to get it to work.

Anyone else having that issue? What was the standard warranty for the phone new? 30 days?

blaake

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2012
Florida
Just over the past week or so my lock button isn't working as well as it did when I first got it. Now I have to push it harder to get it to work.

Anyone else having that issue? What was the standard warranty for the phone new? 30 days?

You have a year. you have better and faster service if you go directly to an apple store

JrFreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
No apple store near me. Would they replace the button or the phone?

JrFreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I called Apple. Short story shorter... 22 hrs after my phone call a new iPhone 5 was in my hand.

Bishwasher

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
Portsmouth,UK
I've just started having a similar issue with my iPhone. If I press the right side of my lock button nothing happens. Would people suggest I do? Should I call Apple and get a replacement phone sent out? I know it sounds like a petty thing but if I pay £200 plus for a phone, I don't expect it to not work properly after only a couple of months. Also if I do want a replacement phone, how long would I have to wait for it to arrive (I'm in UK) and would I have to send my current phone back first?

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
This is common issue - A simple lock replacement will have everything functioning perfect again. Apple should honor this replacement under their warranty.

ashley1

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
same issue

I have just recently got the same problem. My lock button only functions on the left hand side, it doesnt work at all on the right and its very irritating. I was just wondering when Apple give you a replacement phone, do they give you a new one in a box or?

Bishwasher

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
Portsmouth,UK
iPhone 5 lock button issue

I have just recently got the same problem. My lock button only functions on the left hand side, it doesnt work at all on the right and its very irritating. I was just wondering when Apple give you a replacement phone, do they give you a new one in a box or?

Going to my nearest Apple store tomorrow about mine, will let you know what they say/do

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Bootsdagreat

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
I too have this problem. I don't know if apple or AT&T would replace my phone over such a little issue like this, please let me know how you make out with this.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I too have this problem. I don't know if apple or AT&T would replace my phone over such a little issue like this, please let me know how you make out with this.

I had the same problem. As was being discussed in another thread, apple will replace it under warranty with a new white box device.

JrFreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009

I got a brand new phone. Sent mine in the box they sent the new one in.

J.A1990

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
I am having this same issuse. There is no Apple store near me though. Would they replace the phone or would they make me send it in for repair?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am having this same issuse. There is no Apple store near me though. Would they replace the phone or would they make me send it in for repair?
Based on at least one of the more recent responses in the thread it seems like they might send you a new one. However, every case is different, so no matter what some people might post about their experience it won't necessarily apply to you when you contact Apple and deal with them--so, best thing is to check with Apple directly yourself and see.

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
!

Based on at least one of the more recent responses in the thread it seems like they might send you a new one. However, every case is different, so no matter what some people might post about their experience it won't necessarily apply to you when you contact Apple and deal with them--so, best thing is to check with Apple directly yourself and see.

I have the same problem. I purchased iphone 5 unlocked by paying $700 to use on T-mobile. Now that Tmobile has iPhone, the new iPhone has AWS band for WCDMA while the older model that I have doesn't and is very frustrating that I have to be on EDGE most of the time and occasional 4G on PCS band.

If I go to the apple store, will I get the newer model or will they give me an older model that has no AWS band support.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I have the same problem. I purchased iphone 5 unlocked by paying $700 to use on T-mobile. Now that Tmobile has iPhone, the new iPhone has AWS band for WCDMA while the older model that I have doesn't and is very frustrating that I have to be on EDGE most of the time and occasional 4G on PCS band.

If I go to the apple store, will I get the newer model or will they give me an older model that has no AWS band support.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

You can explain to them that your having a lock button issue and would appreciate it if they could exchange your phone with T-Mobile's version as you use them as your carrier. I'm not sure this approach will work but it's certainly worth a shot.

brollikk

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
It's the power button flex cable that is malfunctioning. Wide-spread issue.

Just curious, did you have your phone jailbroken?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Any ideas?

Thanks!
It could happen, but it's pretty much impossible to tell for sure without you actually trying it yourself. These kinds of things are fairly different for different people, in different stores, at different times (dealing with different Apple employees, etc.).

brollikk

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
ok, so it sounds like the jailbreak possibly isn't the cause of the flex cable malfunctioning. This is unsettling though, I am afraid of it happening again. A real pain in the ass to go to the store and get it replaced each time.

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
It could happen, but it's pretty much impossible to tell for sure without you actually trying it yourself. These kinds of things are fairly different for different people, in different stores, at different times (dealing with different Apple employees, etc.).

Ok. Went to the apple store and explained them my case but they were trying to make up their own stories saying that they will have different phones for different carriers. Ok I get that for verizon, sprint but I tried to explain them that for unlocked GSM version, there is only one model and that it has been updated for tmo 3g but it will be the same phone for att and tmo.

Basically they were giving me a refurb phone with no AWS Band support for WCDMA.
I even took a printout of the following page
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5720

Checking the serial number on the phone that they were giving me, it wasnt for tmo. They say that they will replace the same model that I have which is a A1428 model. I tried to explain the new tmo phone is the same model but they were not ready to listen.
She says that they have to match the serial number of the faulty phone that I have.

Do you guys think if I wAit another month or so, I will get the phone from a recent manufacturing week? Or will they keep stock of the old model iphones just for people like me?

alastairhall

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
iPhone 5 lock button

I have faced the same problem and I got replacement within 5 working days with one complete year warranty.

jgreenleaf68

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2013
Lock button is a known deffect!

While appreciate that most of you were under the year warranty and were able to get a replacement quickly, I think that for Apple to sell a $700 or $800 dollar phone that lasts just over a year is ridiculous.

I stuck my phone in a drawer for 3 months because my service was lousy (Sprint) and I wanted to wait fro LTE, so I only used my phone for about 10 months. When I started having problems with the button, I was less than a month out of warranty. My phone and case do not have a scratch on them and was in amazing condition, but the button was broken.

While in the Apple store, I discovered the guy next to me had the same problem with his 5 month old IPhone 5. He was happy, because they gave him a new on, no questions asked. I have since discovered that a coworkers brother and sister in law have the same problem. My buddy who owns a wine bar near my house had to listen to me rant Saturday night about it and promptly handed me his IPhone 5 and it was even worse than mine, it would not work at all, unless he jammed the phone up against the corner of the granite counter. While discussing it with another woman I work with, because I knew she had one and wanted to warn her to watch out if she still has a warranty to get it extended. She said her phone was okay, but another woman that overheard me told me she had the exact same problem.

My point it that this is clearly a defect and Apple should honor any phone for at least 2 years that comes back for this reason, unless I am misunderstood and I should be happy with a $800 phone that lasted a year.

I am disgusted and this may be my last Apple purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.