Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2012
I called technical support to ask them what they would do in case my LG rMBP would get IR in the near future and they said they've never heard of any such issues with any retina MBP. They say that the screens are reported to have great performance and no noticeable image retention from any of their users.

Does this mean they're going to play games with me when I go to exchange it or have them fix it? Should I just send this LG one back and wait for a Samsung?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I called technical support to ask them what they would do in case my LG rMBP would get IR in the near future and they said they've never heard of any such issues with any retina MBP. They say that the screens are reported to have great performance and no noticeable image retention from any of their users.

Does this mean they're going to play games with me when I go to exchange it or have them fix it? Should I just send this LG one back and wait for a Samsung?

Well, this is one of the 'dark sides' of Apple. Or maybe the person who you were talking to was incompetent.

Anyway, if you can show the problem to them (as in - the problem is clearly noticeable), they won't have any choice but to repair it. In the end, it does not matter whether this is a known issue or your machine is the only one with it - a clear defect is a clear defect. I don't see a how they could talk their way out of it.

StefanYFC

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I called them, they send me an email with a link to a page saying how to reduce it.

Some preventative measures include using a screensaver or not keeping Windows static and open for too long.

Except I sit through three hour lectures and most of the windows I use have white or light colored backgrounds. It's impossible to not have IR after 10 minutes.

StefanYFC

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, Canada
They said nothing. No options.

I took it to my local official repair shop and the tech that works there has the same problem and he can't get it replaced either.

Ontop of that, I also have a stuck white pixel almost in the center of my screen, but only one so theres nothing I can do about that either.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I called them, they send me an email with a link to a page saying how to reduce it.

Some preventative measures include using a screensaver or not keeping Windows static and open for too long.

And that's why I refuse to buy one of their rMBP's and hope that the problem doesn't get worse (if it's not already bad). If they go into a mode of dismissing the problem as normal then everyone's screwed short of a class action suit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.