Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milkmandan

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
installed samsung 830 ssd no problem using owc's kit.
ran into a few surprises here and there but nothing i couldn't handle

2nd drive fully installed with OS X 10.8.2 running.

domhoenig

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
installed samsung 830 ssd no problem using owc's kit.
ran into a few surprises here and there but nothing i couldn't handle

2nd drive fully installed with OS X 10.8.2 running.

what surprises? ill be doing this later this week...

milkmandan

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
what surprises? ill be doing this later this week...
1. There is a fold-able piece that covers the Wireless LAN connector. You just need to carefully fold it up enough to remove the connector with the spudger tool.
2. Pulling the logic board out is tricky and isn't as easy as some instructional videos make it. It is a snug fit. Don't force it, take your time with it, and be patient. A trick is to try one side at a time.
3. There is a power plug cover that isn't seen on some of the instructional videos.
4. If you bought the OWC kit, don't follow the book, follow their video guide instead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSA65MjfRG8
5. Be gentle with the power plug when you twist it and don't pull on it to get the Power Supply out. Also, during re-assembly, make sure the power plug is properly sitting upright or when you re-insert the logic board, the plug won't line up with the board very well.
6. The SATA cable that came with the OWC is a little long (just by a few mm), and after seating both hard drives, it will seem that the OWC SATA cable over shoots the port. It might be tricky to fit it on snug without bending too much.
7. Just be patient with it and don't over force anything. Take your time with the process.

You sure about that? Ifixit use the spudger tool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NORZR0BbZs&t=01m45s
The point is that the fan cable has to be pulled upward and not back, regardless of the tool. Using the spudger just seems easier since it is more precise than a finger. You can get a better grip from the bottom with the tool.

I know pulling up on the cable seems weird, but that is just how the plug is designed. Watch the videos carefully.

Last edited:

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
1. There is a fold-able piece that covers the Wireless LAN connector. You just need to carefully fold it up enough to remove the connector with the spudger tool.
2. Pulling the logic board out is tricky and isn't as easy as some instructional videos make it. It is a snug fit. Don't force it, take your time with it, and be patient. A trick is to try one side at a time.
3. There is a power plug cover that isn't seen on some of the instructional videos.
4. If you bought the OWC kit, don't follow the book, follow their video guide instead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSA65MjfRG8
5. Be gentle with the power plug when you twist it and don't pull on it to get the Power Supply out. Also, during re-assembly, make sure the power plug is properly sitting upright or when you re-insert the logic board, the plug won't line up with the board very well.
6. The SATA cable that came with the OWC is a little long (just by a few mm), and after seating both hard drives, it will seem that the OWC SATA cable over shoots the port. It might be tricky to fit it on snug without bending too much.
7. Just be patient with it and don't over force anything. Take your time with the process.

The point is that the fan cable has to be pulled upward and not back, regardless of the tool. Using the spudger just seems easier since it is more precise than a finger. You can get a better grip from the bottom with the tool.

I know pulling up on the cable seems weird, but that is just how the plug is designed. Watch the videos carefully.

With a bit of care though this sounds like it shouldn't be a huge problem as long as a decent amount of time and care is taken.

I'd rather have a drive in the machine rather than connected outside in an external drive.

Sam.

noahfence

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2008
I'm thinking about installing two HDD's in my Mac Mini and I wondered if there would be a problem with exposed circuits on one of the drives, since only one of them will be covered with the protective sticker. This isn't a problem with SSD since there is no exposed circuitry.

Also I was wondering if it would be possible to back up two internal HFS+ drives to one external time machine drive?

Thanks for the input.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I'm thinking about installing two HDD's in my Mac Mini and I wondered if there would be a problem with exposed circuits on one of the drives, since only one of them will be covered with the protective sticker. This isn't a problem with SSD since there is no exposed circuitry.

Also I was wondering if it would be possible to back up two internal HFS+ drives to one external time machine drive?

Thanks for the input.
The second drive installs into a tray. I don't think the exposed logic board of the drive will be an issue.

You can set both internal drives for time machine backup. I vaguely recall that as the default after I Installed my SSD as a second drive.

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010

Just to be clear. With pulled upward, you mean perpendicular from the circuitboard right? And pulled back=parallel?

The correct way is to "flip" the connector upward? Away from the circuitboard? (a little drawing would be nice) :D

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
It will be cheaper to get install the SSD's yourself, the 256GB Samsung 830's are available for 150€ in Germany right now, + 80€ for the connector kit. Thats 380€ for dual SSD's + the Mac mini in whatever config you buy.

I think this is the route I'm going. Ordering the 2.6ghz base and upgrading the ram & two SSD's. Hopefully all goes well! Thanks for the input everyone.

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
I think this is the route I'm going. Ordering the 2.6ghz base and upgrading the ram & two SSD's. Hopefully all goes well! Thanks for the input everyone.

Hi,

I was thinking the same, but are we talking about a 2012 mini or a 2011? Does it make any difference to the instructions seeing as the 2011 one might have the radeon graphics compared to the intel 4000.

Thanks.

Sam.

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Hi,

I was thinking the same, but are we talking about a 2012 mini or a 2011? Does it make any difference to the instructions seeing as the 2011 one might have the radeon graphics compared to the intel 4000.

Thanks.

Sam.

From what I'm reading, it looks like 2011 & 2012 are the same in terms of installation.

Also, something to keep in mind, I believe we will need a 3.5 to 2.5 conversion bracket in order to fit the SSD where the original drive is. So in total we'd have to purchase:

2 SSD's
1 Data Doubler SSD Installation Kit
1 3.5 to 2.5 bracket
2 sticks of ram.

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
From what I'm reading, it looks like 2011 & 2012 are the same in terms of installation.

Also, something to keep in mind, I believe we will need a 3.5 to 2.5 conversion bracket in order to fit the SSD where the original drive is. So in total we'd have to purchase:

2 SSD's
1 Data Doubler SSD Installation Kit
1 3.5 to 2.5 bracket
2 sticks of ram.

I'm sorry. Disregard the 3.5 to 2.5 bracket. It's not needed.

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
I wonder if it'd be easier to buy a bigger SSD and run everything off that?

All my files only takes up about 150GB! That includes vids/music/pictures/docs/scripts.

I could always stash any larger videos on an external, they don't need to sit on the mini, I use a popcorn hour for streaming.

I'm still pretty paranoid about performing this operation even though I'm quite good at this kind of thing. If I damage the mini, I'll break down and cry like a baby.

Sam.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
I'm still pretty paranoid about performing this operation even though I'm quite good at this kind of thing. If I damage the mini, I'll break down and cry like a baby.

It took my time and spent over an hour doing it with the video from OWC playing on an iPad as I went along.

Its not as bad as I thought it would be, the connectors were easy to remove so not sure why people were having problems with connectors coming away from the board, unless they had the tool under the connector itself and prised it from the board.

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
Lol, I reckon it would be ok but there's a lot of talk of bit snapping off on here! I guess I need to buy the kit. Can you get it in the UK or is it US only and postage of about 3 months via boat?

Sam.

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
I wonder if it'd be easier to buy a bigger SSD and run everything off that?

All my files only takes up about 150GB! That includes vids/music/pictures/docs/scripts.

I could always stash any larger videos on an external, they don't need to sit on the mini, I use a popcorn hour for streaming.

Sam.

I guess its whatever suits your needs. The reason I am doing double SSD is for music production purposes. I'd like to keep the software & samples separate allowing for the lowest latency. If you are using the second drive more for storage, it might not be necessary to run dual ssd's.

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
I'm still a bit confused about the apple care though.

Does it void it totally doing this yourself? I mean, if I'm going to put this drive in, is it not worth getting the apple care.

Sam.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Lol, I reckon it would be ok but there's a lot of talk of bit snapping off on here! I guess I need to buy the kit. Can you get it in the UK or is it US only and postage of about 3 months via boat?

Sam.

I had to get it from the US, but it only took 8 days which was quicker than I thought.

I'm still a bit confused about the apple care though.

Does it void it totally doing this yourself? I mean, if I'm going to put this drive in, is it not worth getting the apple care.

Sam.

It will void the apple care, as only the user serviceable part (in apple terms anyway) is the memory.

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
It will void the apple care, as only the user serviceable part (in apple terms anyway) is the memory.

I wonder if this is the same if you pay a professional to install it? I would be interested in speaking to apple about that. External install services run from about £40 and would be good for me if I can then use the apple care afterwards.

One reason I'm going mac because I don't want to faff about as much as I've had to do in the past with PCs. If it goes wrong, I want someone else to fix it!

Sam.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
I had to get it from the US, but it only took 8 days which was quicker than I thought.

Out of interest which shipping method did you opt for?

Went for the cheapest shipping, believe it was Standard US 1st Class.

I wonder if this is the same if you pay a professional to install it? I would be interested in speaking to apple about that. External install services run from about £40 and would be good for me if I can then use the apple care afterwards.

One reason I'm going mac because I don't want to faff about as much as I've had to do in the past with PCs. If it goes wrong, I want someone else to fix it!

Sam.

Apple don't support 3rd Party SSDs as far as I know so don't think it will matter if you or a professional does it.

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
That leaves a bit of a problem then.

If I can't get apple care, I have no cover if it breaks. I know it's a big 'if' though.

This puts a different slant on the whole DIY thing. Apple charge so much for the SSD though. If you get it through apple during the checkout, do they leave in the 1TB standard drive too? A 256GB SSD isn't much storage on its own.

Sam.

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
That leaves a bit of a problem then.

If I can't get apple care, I have no cover if it breaks. I know it's a big 'if' though.

This puts a different slant on the whole DIY thing. Apple charge so much for the SSD though. If you get it through apple during the checkout, do they leave in the 1TB standard drive too? A 256GB SSD isn't much storage on its own.

Sam.

You can only get dual harddrive directly from apple if you get the server edition.

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
You can only get dual harddrive directly from apple if you get the server edition.

Ok thanks.

Seems I need to stick with the 5400 drive with apple care?! The deal's starting to go downhill. Saying that, how often do they actually break. And if they do, surely someone could fix it for a good price.

Sam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.