Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I tried doing a search and couldn't find anything on this topic. I have a 3rd generation iPod touch that I use pretty much strictly for an MP3 player. I see the 4th generation iPod touch has dropped down in price on the Apple refurb site. Any comments on if there are quality improvements in the 4th vs 3rd generation iPod Touch?

Thanks!

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i dont think you can find a significant different in sound quality between each gen of ipod touch as it is produced mainly for web browsing and games.

However, in my experiences, i find that 4th gen sound is quite rich and you can distinguish diff. instruments in the background ( i used apple earphones) It worth an upgrade with the screen and cpu speed alone.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
You clearly didn't read thread. He was talking about 3rd gen and 4th gen.

Anyways I think the 4th gen sounds a bit better (speaker grill allows more sound?)

My bad. I read 4th vs 5th. However, these threads talk about all generations. They would answer his question anyway. 4th gen is definitely better and is louder when compared to 3rd (if speakerphone quality is all that matters).

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I tried doing a search and couldn't find anything on this topic. I have a 3rd generation iPod touch that I use pretty much strictly for an MP3 player. I see the 4th generation iPod touch has dropped down in price on the Apple refurb site. Any comments on if there are quality improvements in the 4th vs 3rd generation iPod Touch?

Thanks!

The sound quality difference is all subjective. The only way you will know is to try one out for yourself.

----------

4th gen is definitely better and is louder when compared to 3rd (if speakerphone quality is all that matters).

The third gen has a very weak external speaker.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I was looking for differences in audio quality using non-Apple headphones, not the internal speaker. I have access to an iPhone 4, so I'll do a comparison with my iPod touch (Likely similar quality with the Touch 4).

I know the Touch 4 would have an updated iPod interface, but functionality wise I think it is the same.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I was looking for differences in audio quality using non-Apple headphones, not the internal speaker. I have access to an iPhone 4, so I'll do a comparison with my iPod touch (Likely similar quality with the Touch 4).

I know the Touch 4 would have an updated iPod interface, but functionality wise I think it is the same.

Here is a good place:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/512767/new-ipod-touch-4g-first-impressions

Majority say 4g is better with more bass presence and more body to the music.

Note, if you use Safari alot prepare for consistent crashing. 3G touch actually runs better when browsing. However some apps no longer support 3g so 4g is better long term along with iOS6 if you like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.