Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 8, 2012, 08:45 AM   #276
Gwenog
macrumors newbie

Just LOVE the way Apple Maps looks when it works, which ain't all that much here in Japan lol. Meanwhile I gotta depend on a Google icon to let me access maps and transportation directions (which has also improved BTW).

Can't wait till Cook gets done with Apple's, though, it really IS way more beautiful than Google's and CLEAR with nice route labels.
Gwenog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:14 AM   #277
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
From what I've read so far, the people who are satisfied with Apple Maps live in the US, or about 1/3 of Apple total revenue.
From a business perspective it seems to make sense to prioritize the market that brings in 2/3 of your revenue.
So, you see Apple's market as "the US", and everywhere else. Many complaints are coming from people who live in areas that are much less than 1/3 of Apple's market. Where would you put them on Apple's priority list?
doelcm82 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:28 AM   #278
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeyssteve View Post
I'm not a New Yorker but I have am very familiar with the city. I also have not upgraded to IOS 6. But I believe the Statue of liberty is turned 90 degrees in the photo you provide at the start of this thread. When I have seen Miss Liberty in the past she had been looking out to sea not at Manhattan.

My apologies if this has already been pointed out
It looks correct in the photos, and in the maps themselves.
doelcm82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:18 AM   #279
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

I was playing around with maps when this was first posted to look for some improvements and found none. The statue of liberty was still displaying as flat. But today I looked and there have been some big improvements. Brooklyn, which at first was only 2D in flyover, is now 3D. Sure, Brooklyn is still a "major" city but it looks like less populated areas are beginning to see flyover. I also checked out my hometown in the Valley (population under 25,000, also mentioned in the post) and it was not flyover enabled on Friday but is now.

I think flyover will ultimately turn out to be a gimmick as it has very little usefulness when actually getting directions somewhere, but it is a fun feature and I'm glad to see more support for it. Too bad all of the 3D renderings look like total crap.
george-brooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:36 PM   #280
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by george-brooks View Post
I think flyover will ultimately turn out to be a gimmick as it has very little usefulness when actually getting directions somewhere, but it is a fun feature and I'm glad to see more support for it. Too bad all of the 3D renderings look like total crap.
I think you're wrong about flyover being a gimmick. Seeing an overview of the place I am traveling to is useful to me. Landmarks like parking lots, tall buildings, shopping centers, etc., stand out much more than they do with 2D Satellite view.

I know I won't be seeing the overhead view when I actually make the trips, but if overhead views were "useless", as some claim, then we wouldn't have maps or globes or scale models at all.

Take a look at this satellite view of San Francisco in Google Maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=san+fr...ornia&t=h&z=16

It looks like a rectangular grid, similar to any other city. But view it with 3D terrain and buildings in Google Earth or Apple's Maps app, and you have a lot more information about the nature of the city.

The QuickTime VR StreetView is certainly useful also, but it can't tell you at a glance what is two blocks away, or even just around the corner.

Last edited by doelcm82; Oct 8, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 03:15 PM   #281
redman042
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Someone on my road has, what it looks like, their own business working from their house. I know this as it looked weird but checked their website and it was legit so I ignored it.
lolz
I've seen this in Google Maps many times, so it's not unique to Apple.

I think what often happens is that a small business owner's home address shows up instead of their business address. Maybe they register their home address with the City when they first open. Not sure...
redman042 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 03:41 PM   #282
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman042 View Post
I've seen this in Google Maps many times, so it's not unique to Apple.

I think what often happens is that a small business owner's home address shows up instead of their business address. Maybe they register their home address with the City when they first open. Not sure...
Let me guess... Hewlett Packard? Apple? Amazon? Is it one of those?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:30 PM   #283
moderngamenewb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
Did you check the app store for PT in your area?
Already tried that. All of the free ones that I tried don't have any for my area. I am really hesitant to pay for the other ones
moderngamenewb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:27 AM   #284
fewgraphik
macrumors newbie

If steve wasn't dead...

the eiffel tower would be in 3D already... tim cook is just a simple american...
Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:47 AM   #285
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by doelcm82 View Post
So, you see Apple's market as "the US", and everywhere else. Many complaints are coming from people who live in areas that are much less than 1/3 of Apple's market. Where would you put them on Apple's priority list?
As a business, priority should logically be given to the market that generates (and will continue to generate) the most revenue.

If you're in a country / area that falls under Apple's radar, the only hope is that Google Maps comes back to the App Store as soon as Apple let them.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:13 PM   #286
crisss1205
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crisss1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna9720 View Post
2 things Apple need to accomplish
1; when I click a direction link , iphone needs to take you to the maps app NOT to the google's map in safari. Come on iphone dont you recognize your native maps app

2; search bar in the maps either dont find any close stores around me or finds only a few.

These Features I use a lot.
That has nothing to do with Apple or the iPhone. It opens a google maps link so it will show google maps, if the developer tells it to open in Apple maps then it will open in Apple maps.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:34 AM   #287
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:42 AM   #288
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
Oooohhh... Pretty.

Slow......and steady, wins the race Apple did this in 'reverse'

However, it still not gonna make me switch.... I hate using anything while data is sucked up.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:58 AM   #289
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

AppleScruff1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:44 PM   #290
jimborockon
macrumors newbie

Why am I still not seeing the Statue of Liberty update? It's been more than a week!
jimborockon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:24 AM   #291
eeclark
macrumors newbie

Clear Apple Maps Cache will Reset All Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborockon View Post
Why am I still not seeing the Statue of Liberty update? It's been more than a week!
Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings

This will reset all settings. No data or media will be deleted.
This will clear the maps cache.
eeclark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:09 AM   #292
oliversl
macrumors 6502a

Who says Apple invented vector graphics?

And BTW, Apple sometime show the industry the way: smart phone GUI, App Store, sensors on phones, modern tablets, just to name a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Yeah! Those copycats! Apple innovates, everyone else imitates!

...cept that Google was showing off vector maps back in 2010. Hell, vectors in general aren't exactly new things. Windows has used vector art for their icons since Vista came out back in...what...2007? They're hardly the future. They've been around for quite awhile.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:03 AM   #293
Albright
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
In another thread a comment had been made that Apple had failed to implement Japan's rather unique block and building numbering system... So while you could get to a general location, locating an individual premises on a block was impossible (and that's what my statement was based on). I'd be interested to hear if they'd started to fix that.
I just searched for my own address, and it found it correctly, so it looks like whatever issues there were have been fixed (at least in metropolitan Tokyo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
Shinjuku station is used by an average of 3.7 million people per day, making it the world's busiest station. Shibuya is the fourth-busiest rail station in Japan (2.4 million passengers on an average weekday)
Ah. That makes Shibuya station busy, not big. :P

(Not sure why, though. Shibuya Crossing is cool to see as a tourist, and its Apple Store is easier to get to than the one in Ginza, but otherwise I don't get the appeal of that place.)
Albright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:00 PM   #294
golf1410
macrumors 6502a

Hahaha
golf1410 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:42 PM   #295
BuckusToothnail
Banned

Too little too late.

Adding 3D to the most famous landmark in the US isn't really addressing the problem. The problem is the other 99.99999999999% of the maps. Reliability is a real problem. Lack of points of interest. Outdated information.

Apple Maps are never going to be as good as Google Maps sadly.
BuckusToothnail is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:19 PM   #296
funkybudda
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf1410 View Post

Hahaha
lol, add a poop on top of that will be about right.
funkybudda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:01 PM   #297
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckusToothnail View Post
Too little too late.

Adding 3D to the most famous landmark in the US isn't really addressing the problem. The problem is the other 99.99999999999% of the maps. Reliability is a real problem. Lack of points of interest. Outdated information.

Apple Maps are never going to be as good as Google Maps sadly.
heh heh, one year from now, the tune will change... One year is a long time.. The map is already off the radar screen for the general user.. If IOS map does not work for someone, they would have move on and use one of the alternative map already..
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2013, 09:08 PM   #298
appleaddictx
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazuca View Post
Big chunks of Brooklyn, Queens and Bronx are in Flyover. Only Staten Island isn't (it stops at the end of the bridge).

NJ near NY is also.
Thanks for mentioning this. Glad I'm not the only one who cared. I'm glad this was finally fixed. Staten Island flyover!!!
appleaddictx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion