Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors

Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:57 PM   #1
AlexBass
macrumors regular

Vintage machines worth getting?

So I was thinking... forget the new macs being released these days, everybody is buying them, they're boring! (Dare I say it) Instead, I want to invest in vintage Apple systems.

I've been browsing for a while, found a few good things made in the past 20 years still in their original packaging, just a tad out of my price range. (Xserve in box for $1,900)

What kind of good Apple merch can one get for under $200? Vintage, that is.
AlexBass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:14 PM   #2
gkarris
macrumors 604

Resale shops used to be a great place, but many shops around here are starting to put that kind of stuff on eBay instead - that Apple logo's a dead give-away...

Try Craigslist or flea markets.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:14 PM   #3
G51989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBass View Post
So I was thinking... forget the new macs being released these days, everybody is buying them, they're boring! (Dare I say it) Instead, I want to invest in vintage Apple systems.

I've been browsing for a while, found a few good things made in the past 20 years still in their original packaging, just a tad out of my price range. (Xserve in box for $1,900)

Keep in mind when it comes to Vintage Apples, they are getting expensive because of the crazy fanboys/apples super popularness right now, once that wears off, they'll start getting worth less, not more.

Something like an Xserve is not something that you'd ever make money on.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:40 PM   #4
WardC
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to WardC
I collect the Pre-OS X stuff...in other words, Classic Mac stuff, pre-Steve Jobs stuff...

Pretty much anything up to 604e processors is what I collect.

I've got a few Macintosh Portables, and a Mac IIfx, and a bunch of older PowerBooks.

I get all of my computers on eBay pretty much.

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:

The dual-USB iBook models are extremely cheap, probably the cheapest model you could get. If I were you, I'd get a Paris clamshell iBook for $50 with MacOS 9, and put Classilla on it. I use Classilla, and through that I can use FaceBook and go on most forums quickly and easily. eMacs are very cheap as well.
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:07 PM   #6
AlexBass
macrumors regular

Edit

Last edited by AlexBass; Jul 20, 2014 at 05:25 AM.
AlexBass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post
I collect the Pre-OS X stuff...in other words, Classic Mac stuff, pre-Steve Jobs stuff...
Eh?

Do you mean post Steve Jobs and pre his return?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:58 PM   #8
dime21
macrumors 6502

Craigslist is best for finding bargains. Ebay, not so much. Plus with craigslist, you can physically inspect it before handing over the cash. MDD G4's can be had for relatively cheap these days.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Hrududu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
Eh?

Do you mean post Steve Jobs and pre his return?
What else could he possibly mean

My question to the OP is, "What are you planning to do with them?"

Are you wanting vintage Macs to play with, take apart, part out, sell for profit, create a museum? Whats the point in this investment?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:54 AM   #10
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrududu View Post
What else could he possibly mean

My question to the OP is, "What are you planning to do with them?"

Are you wanting vintage Macs to play with, take apart, part out, sell for profit, create a museum? Whats the point in this investment?
Those were the "dark days" - I can't see why someone would want to collect the likes of the Quadra?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Those were the "dark days" - I can't see why someone would want to collect the likes of the Quadra?
There were some great designs that came from that period-- just look at the PowerBooks, the eMate 300, Colour Classic etc., and when they had a flawed Mac, they were still pretty fun to use . And the old versions of MacOS were great to work with.
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:41 PM   #12
gkarris
macrumors 604

Quote:
The Quadra's had some of the coolest designs of the day. Especially the 700 - highly collectible.

(I recall those new in the box we used as QuickMail Servers - wish I had kept the box/packing - those went into the garbage... ).
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:31 PM   #13
Hrududu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
What I meant was its the only period that could possibly be considered "before Steve Jobs." I personally love the machines from the Sculley, Spindler and Gil Amelio era. That was really the only time when Apple was producing a real variety of computers with different styles and expandability. I've always loved the Newtons and Apple's printers too. Obviously it wasn't good business at the time and it made sense for Apple to remove all those different product lines, but there was a ton of cool hardware to choose from. PowerMac 6500's with built in subwoofers, Quadra 840AV and 800, all the different PowerBooks, and experiments like the QuickTake and Macintosh TV were all very cool products.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:31 PM   #14
cocacolakid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yeah, I think I'll invest in the early Macintosh systems, vintage floppy disks and perhaps an unopened iPad 1...
I wouldn't think of it as "investing". You may or may not get your money back out of it, most likely you won't make a profit. Pick the machine(s) that interest you the most, do a little research so you see what the going rate is and can identify what a good price is.

Also be aware that on a lot of old machines, parts are not readily available and/or are very expensive.
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:30 AM   #15
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrududu View Post
What I meant was its the only period that could possibly be considered "before Steve Jobs." I personally love the machines from the Sculley, Spindler and Gil Amelio era. That was really the only time when Apple was producing a real variety of computers with different styles and expandability. I've always loved the Newtons and Apple's printers too. Obviously it wasn't good business at the time and it made sense for Apple to remove all those different product lines, but there was a ton of cool hardware to choose from. PowerMac 6500's with built in subwoofers, Quadra 840AV and 800, all the different PowerBooks, and experiments like the QuickTake and Macintosh TV were all very cool products.
I think then we get into personal preference.

I personally look at the likes of the Quadra840AV and just see another beige box from the 90s.

I have a huge interest in retro computing and for me the 80s (and to a lesser extent the 70s) was the highpoint. As far as design the 90s were a nadir - everyone was doing pretty much the same sort of things with a couple of exceptions. (I think the TAM was cool)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:06 PM   #16
WardC
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to WardC
Yes, I DID mean Macintosh computers from the Sculley, Spindler, and Amelio era...exactly. Basically everything 1986 - 1996 or Pre-G3 Power Macintosh and Pre-iMac...Pre-return of Steve Jobs. The "Beige Macs" in other words....and the Pre-G3 PowerBooks.

Macintosh II Series
Macintosh Quadra
Macintosh Centris
NuBus Power Macintosh
PCI Power Macintosh

I don't collect much of the Performa stuff, or the LC stuff, more of the upper-end pro/power machines.

Also...

Macintosh Portable
PowerBook 100-180
PowerBook 500 Series
PowerBook 5300/190 Series
PowerBook 1400 Series
PowerBook 2400 Series
PowerBook 3400 Series
PowerBook Kanga
PowerBook Duo Series

So I am talking about Mac designs (frog design) before Ive came into play and tried to turn the Macintosh into eye candy...things went nuts with Apple design after they got him designing their machines. Beige became a dirty a word at at Apple, never to be seen again...not even Platinum was an allowed color for a Macintosh anymore. Oh yeah, and they killed "Macintosh" and started calling them just "Mac" - sad.

Thinking about Apple...

Last edited by WardC; Nov 12, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
WardC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:11 AM   #17
RSL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Nothing dark about those days. Sure, some of the machines were maybe no longer avant-garde, but the mac magic was still there. Try turning on system 7 on a old mac. Beautiful.

Also the startup sound in modern macs comes from the Quadra.
RSL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors