Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Josh Kahane
macrumors 6502

2.5" Thunderbolt Drive Enclosure?

Hi

I already have an unused SSD which I'd like to put in a 2.5" thunderbolt enclosure if possible. Does anyone know of any available?

I can't find one, if not, what a good alternative solution might be?

Thanks.
Josh Kahane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:17 AM   #2
jeroen020
macrumors newbie

I've been look into Thunderbolt external storage for a while now. Most solutions include disks such as LaCie or G-Drive.

You can plug an SSD in the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt. It will fit but won't be very solid, you may want to pick up a GoFlex enclosure on eBay to put your SSD in.

Caldigit mentions an enclosure but it doesn't seem to be for sale: http://www.caldigit.com/Thunderbolt/T1T2.html

I bought a LaCie Thunderbolt eSATA hub and hooked it up to 2x256GB Samsung 830SSDs that I put into eSATA enclosures myself, set up in RAID0, getting 440MB/s that way.
jeroen020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:44 PM   #3
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroen020 View Post
I've been look into Thunderbolt external storage for a while now. Most solutions include disks such as LaCie or G-Drive.

You can plug an SSD in the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt. It will fit but won't be very solid, you may want to pick up a GoFlex enclosure on eBay to put your SSD in.

Caldigit mentions an enclosure but it doesn't seem to be for sale: http://www.caldigit.com/Thunderbolt/T1T2.html

I bought a LaCie Thunderbolt eSATA hub and hooked it up to 2x256GB Samsung 830SSDs that I put into eSATA enclosures myself, set up in RAID0, getting 440MB/s that way.

I use something like these with my goflex adapter.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Nemic
macrumors member

I use the portable Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter with a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD, and it works very well.

It is very fast.

I am currently using elastic bands to attach a small pad of paper to the SSD, so that it does not flex too much - when plugged in the SSD does not rest against the adapter base.

There is a long thread in the Mac Mini forum, where they were testing various sizes of SSD's with this adapter, with varying success.

I also use this adapter to transfer photo's from CF cards, using an adapter I bought on eBay.

My thread about this is here :http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...7#post14859567

In the photo's you can see how the card does not rest against the base of the adapter. Also I think that the base may be magnetised, so think that having some sort of gap or barrier may be advisable.
Nemic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:22 PM   #5
mario24601
macrumors regular

ministation would work too if you dont mind opening up to tear out the hdd...ministation comes with TB cable so little cheaper.
mario24601 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:05 AM   #6
marmotmammal
macrumors member

I don't think there's a 2.5" enclosure available yet. I've been looking and waiting, gave up on Caldigit. I use the Seagate GoFlex for home with raw 2.5" and 3.5" drives. That method is rouge, but it works, and I use rubber band technology to secure the drive, and junk mail to pad it.

But I'd like a bus-powered Tbolt drive for the road, one which I can interchange drives at my leisure, just like I do on my desktop workstation. If I feel adventurous I'd buy a Lacie or OWC 2.5" Tbolt/USB3 external drive and try to open it. If I could see both of them at a store, I can assess if it's possible. There probably won't be a 2.5" Tbolt enclosure for a while. It's too niche. It took years for Acomdata to make FW800 2.5" enclosure, and very few companies followed suit.
marmotmammal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals