Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:45 PM   #51
Carlanga
macrumors 601
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
If it doesn't have phone functionality then it has always been illegal. Nothing new, nothing to fear.
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:47 PM   #52
LandonDonovan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
No more unlocking

In 2006 and 2010, the Librarian of Congress had permitted users to unlock their phones to take them to a new carrier. Now that's coming to an end. While the new rules do contain a provision allowing phone unlocking, it comes with a crippling caveat: the phone must have been "originally acquired from the operator of a wireless telecommunications network or retailer no later than ninety days after the effective date of this exemption."

In other words, phones you already have, as well as those purchased between now and next January, can be unlocked. But phones purchased after January 2013 can only be unlocked with the carrier's permission.

Why the change? The Librarian cited two key factors. One is a 2010 ruling that held that when you purchase software, you don't actually own it. Rather, you merely license it according to the terms of the End User License Agreement. The Librarian argued that this undermined the claim that unlocking your own phone was fair use.

Also, the Librarian found that there are more unlocked phones on the market than there were three years ago, and that most wireless carriers have liberal policies for unlocking their handsets. As a result, the Librarian of Congress decided that it should no longer be legal to unlock your cell phone without the carrier's permission.
Is the Librarian a judge now? Isn't the Librarian supposed to read and not interpret the law?
LandonDonovan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:25 PM   #53
MastahRiz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
meh, Apple needs to thank the JB community. without it, I for one, wouldn't be using an iOS device.
same here.
MastahRiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:38 PM   #54
buddybd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I'll be switching too if they manage to permanently disable jailbreaks. iOS feels bland without a lot of the tweaks that are available in Cydia.

I still can't figure out why they don't put shortcuts in a largely unused notification center. Its there, might as well make it more useful, and hide/minimize it if there are many notifications.

SBSettings and BiteSMS type Quick Reply/Compose are half the reasons why I jailbreak.
buddybd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:38 PM   #55
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Apple is freaking stupid.

If they ever permanently disable jailbreaks, I will jump ship.

And if they got their head out of their ass, they would realize most of their good ideas have come from jailbreaking.
I've already jump ship. I've grown tired of the cat and mouse game with apple. Stock iOS is boring and their hardware alone isn't enough to keep me waiting for untethered jailbreaks.

Fully support you jail breakers and hope you guys have something available for your iPhone 5's soon.
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:34 PM   #56
rabidz7
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
DMCA strikes again

The DMCA is an offline version of sopa, it should be repealed.

----------

If jailbreaks are stopped I will just go buy an android.

Last edited by rabidz7; Nov 6, 2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typo
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:42 PM   #57
sherrys137
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I have no idea how to post a new thread...but I deleted Cydia...Help!

Dumb I know but I was trying to unjail break my phone and screwed it up instead

FAQS
I phone 4 iso 5.1.1
Rocky Racoon Jail break
Deleted Cydia

Tryed what I can find on this fourm

Please help
sherrys137 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:59 PM   #58
Rajani Isa
macrumors 6502a
 
Rajani Isa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonDonovan View Post
Is the Librarian a judge now? Isn't the Librarian supposed to read and not interpret the law?
That's why the Librarian refused to make an exemption for tablet computers - currently there is no set legal definition, as far as I know. So for an exemption to be made, the librarian would be creating a definition.

And as for the unlocking portion - the EULAs say (generally) that we cannot unlock them ourselves. There was the case two years ago where a judge upheld EULAs. Thus the end of the unlock exemption for phones (combined with the fact that you can actually buy unlocked smart phones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
The DMCA is an offline version of sopa, it should be repealed.
DMCA actually has parts that make sense.

Not saying it couldn't use some cleanup/revision, but things like the ISP protections are needed (imagine what the net would be like if the RIAA/MPAA had managed to sue all the ISPs back when they were suing grandma for millions)
Rajani Isa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:52 AM   #59
rogerbarrett
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Yes everyone knows that it is illegal activity to jailbreak any product of Apple.
__________________
Iphone Spy
rogerbarrett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:16 AM   #60
rabidz7
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Resync Restore Restart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrys137 View Post
Dumb I know but I was trying to unjail break my phone and screwed it up instead

FAQS
I phone 4 iso 5.1.1
Rocky Racoon Jail break
Deleted Cydia

Tryed what I can find on this fourm

Please help
Do you have any icloud or itunes backups? If you do erase the iPhone and restore it from a backup that you have this will unjailbreak it. If you do not have a backup this will permanently deleat the iPhone.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:34 AM   #61
TriJetHero
macrumors 601
 
TriJetHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: World
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbarrett View Post
Yes everyone knows that it is illegal activity to jailbreak any product of Apple.
I guess you haven't read this thread or just don't understand any of it.

Jailbreaking is legal for phones and wil stay that way!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
Do you have any icloud or itunes backups? If you do erase the iPhone and restore it from a backup that you have this will unjailbreak it. If you do not have a backup this will permanently deleat the iPhone.

NO YOU CANNOT!

Deleting Cydia does not mean the phone is not jailbroken.
Cydia is just the GUI to download jailbroken apps.

The jailbreak itself is a change in the filestructure which remains.

You cannot do an erase all settings on a jailbroken phone, it will go in a reboot loop, after which a full restore is neccesary.

@rabidz
If you do not have any idea what you are talking about please do not give advice to people, they might end up with a semi-bricked device or force them to update iOS6.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrys137 View Post
Dumb I know but I was trying to unjail break my phone and screwed it up instead

FAQS
I phone 4 iso 5.1.1
Rocky Racoon Jail break
Deleted Cydia

Tryed what I can find on this fourm

Please help
Do you have openSSH installed on your phone?
do you have iFile installed on your phone?
do you have blobs for your iphone?
__________________
iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.6 Evasi0n7
iPad 4 3G 7.1.1 Stock
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 7.1.2 Pangu
Mac Book Pro 15" mid 2010
TriJetHero is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:36 AM   #62
rabidz7
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
A full restore not just settings

I did a full restore on my (orange) jailbroken iPhone 4 and it worked then I restored from 1 day old backup.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:12 AM   #63
TriJetHero
macrumors 601
 
TriJetHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: World
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
I did a full restore on my (orange) jailbroken iPhone 4 and it worked then I restored from 1 day old backup.
That is not what you said in your initial posting!
Erasing is not the same a full restore of the firmware.

Full restores can only be done if you have blobs, it is an essential part of the restore proccess.
__________________
iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.6 Evasi0n7
iPad 4 3G 7.1.1 Stock
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 7.1.2 Pangu
Mac Book Pro 15" mid 2010
TriJetHero is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:27 PM   #64
stangfreak1984
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: south mississippi
Send a message via Yahoo to stangfreak1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
The iPad was never legal to jailbreak in the US. In the 2010 exemption it wasn't part of the proposal because it didn't exist at the time it was proposed. The exemption only lists smart phones. Something the iPad and iPod Touch are not.
From what musclenerd says on twitter its more a gray area then anything. He posted a few days ago where he jailbroke the ipad mini so who knows where this is gonna go.
stangfreak1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:10 PM   #65
NestOfRobins
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
My question is: What is the definition of a PHONE? What is the definition of a TABLET? What makes a device a PHONE and not a TABLET? What makes a device a TABLET and not a PHONE?

If I can make calls with a device, does that make it a phone? If so, since I can use Google Voice with Talkatone, is my iPad now a phone? Does that mean my iPad was a TABLET until I installed GV, but it then became a PHONE?

It seems like a distinction without a difference.

Don't you love it when technical people try to talk about law and when lawyers try to talk about technology?
NestOfRobins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:44 PM   #66
indyzzzz
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NestOfRobins View Post
My question is: What is the definition of a PHONE? What is the definition of a TABLET? What makes a device a PHONE and not a TABLET? What makes a device a TABLET and not a PHONE?

If I can make calls with a device, does that make it a phone? If so, since I can use Google Voice with Talkatone, is my iPad now a phone? Does that mean my iPad was a TABLET until I installed GV, but it then became a PHONE?

It seems like a distinction without a difference.

Don't you love it when technical people try to talk about law and when lawyers try to talk about technology?
A bit off topic: Try GV Phone + / Mo+, its a much better front end app for Google Voice than Talkatone.
indyzzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:52 PM   #67
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by NestOfRobins View Post
My question is: What is the definition of a PHONE? What is the definition of a TABLET? What makes a device a PHONE and not a TABLET? What makes a device a TABLET and not a PHONE?

If I can make calls with a device, does that make it a phone? If so, since I can use Google Voice with Talkatone, is my iPad now a phone? Does that mean my iPad was a TABLET until I installed GV, but it then became a PHONE?
A phone would be a device that has a cellular voice plan. A tablet with Google Voice does not have one of these and thus is not a phone.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:36 PM   #68
NestOfRobins
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
A phone would be a device that has a cellular voice plan. A tablet with Google Voice does not have one of these and thus is not a phone.
Again, seems like a distinction without a difference.....

So, an iPhone w/o a cellular plan is a tablet? The point is, what makes a device a phone and what makes a device a tablet? The presence of (or ability to have) a cellular voice plan as the determining factor seems like a decision that would be "arbitrary and capricious" and likely to be overturned under the APA.
NestOfRobins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:12 PM   #69
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by NestOfRobins View Post
Again, seems like a distinction without a difference.....

So, an iPhone w/o a cellular plan is a tablet? The point is, what makes a device a phone and what makes a device a tablet? The presence of (or ability to have) a cellular voice plan as the determining factor seems like a decision that would be "arbitrary and capricious" and likely to be overturned under the APA.
An iPhone without a plan can still have a voice plan added if the owner wants one, because of this ability it is considered a phone. Even if the voice plan is not active or there. A cellular tablet cannot have a voice plan, thus it is not a phone. It isn't that hard to comprehend. Voice plan ability = phone. No voice plan ability = non-phone.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:03 AM   #70
ReturnPrivacy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Don't Believe The Lie, It Is LEGAL!

Wait a minute? You say that unless an exemption is granted, it will be illegal to use an iPad any way we want? That is totally, and completely WRONG! It is completely legal to use an iphone, ipad, imac or any other computer or device that you pay for, any way you want to. There is still something called the Constitution in this country isn't there? You are not renting or leasing these things, you bought and paid for them, and that is the end of the story. It is yours, and you can do whatever you want to do with it. You can not do an illegal act with it, such as stealing songs online or things like that, but as long as your actions are not illegal, you can take the Apple software off of it, or do anything else you want with it. It is a piece of hardware, no different than your car in the driveway. You wouldn't accept anyone telling you that you couldn't drive your car or truck would you? Certainly not. This completely illegal garbage that they are trying to get you to believe is total nonsense. I'm just amazed at how many "sheeple" go along with it. Talk about control, wow! Stand up for your rights people, before it is too late.
ReturnPrivacy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:30 AM   #71
TriJetHero
macrumors 601
 
TriJetHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: World
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnPrivacy View Post
Wait a minute? You say that unless an exemption is granted, it will be illegal to use an iPad any way we want? That is totally, and completely WRONG! It is completely legal to use an iphone, ipad, imac or any other computer or device that you pay for, any way you want to. There is still something called the Constitution in this country isn't there? You are not renting or leasing these things, you bought and paid for them, and that is the end of the story. It is yours, and you can do whatever you want to do with it. You can not do an illegal act with it, such as stealing songs online or things like that, but as long as your actions are not illegal, you can take the Apple software off of it, or do anything else you want with it. It is a piece of hardware, no different than your car in the driveway. You wouldn't accept anyone telling you that you couldn't drive your car or truck would you? Certainly not. This completely illegal garbage that they are trying to get you to believe is total nonsense. I'm just amazed at how many "sheeple" go along with it. Talk about control, wow! Stand up for your rights people, before it is too late.

Sigh, it's your country....

It is illegal to jailbreak an iPad in the USA just as it is illegal to jaywalk or speeding. Better get up to speed with your local laws.
__________________
iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.6 Evasi0n7
iPad 4 3G 7.1.1 Stock
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 7.1.2 Pangu
Mac Book Pro 15" mid 2010
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:00 AM   #72
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
It isn't a lie. The constitution does not make it legal. Nor does it make pirating media illegal. Apple states in the EULA and TOS that the user leases iOS from them. It is not purchased or licensed to the end user for them to do with it as they please. The hardware is yours, but the software still belongs to Apple in a legal sense. It is no different than you leasing a car from Ford or GM and not being able to change out the seats because that would be in violation of the lease. Same with iOS, modifying is illegal, unless explicitly stated in the DCMA. Also the DCMA is not a part of the constitution. I'm just so amazed at how blind people can be when it comes to the laws that govern their land and their property.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:03 PM   #73
rocknblogger
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
rocknblogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
A phone would be a device that has a cellular voice plan. A tablet with Google Voice does not have one of these and thus is not a phone.
Actually it's not the plans but rather the cellular antennas that enable the device to be a phone.
__________________
Don't be stupid.
rocknblogger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:41 PM   #74
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblogger View Post
Actually it's not the plans but rather the cellular antennas that enable the device to be a phone.
But in terms of the DCMA exemption, the voice data plan is what defines it. The iPad 3G is still an illegal device to jailbreak. Even though it has a cellular antenna.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:40 AM   #75
NestOfRobins
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Seems like an "arbitrary and capricious" distinction. What difference does it make if the device has a cellular antenna?
NestOfRobins is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: i thought jailbreaking ipad was illegal glsillygili Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 18 Feb 3, 2013 06:10 PM
Now that unlocking will be illegal what will be the DBZmusicboy01 iPhone 26 Jan 25, 2013 02:08 AM
iPhone: Jailbreaking/Unlocking iPhone martymar112 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 6 Jan 13, 2013 05:28 PM
Is unlocking iPhone using GEVEY™ Ultra S for CDMA iPhone 4S illegal? shreenagar iPhone 4 Sep 2, 2012 01:38 PM
Help-First time jailbreaking and unlocking my iphone howya111 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 Jun 8, 2012 02:29 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC