Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbriskly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Hey guys,

I currently use a Lenovo. At least, until yesterday. :mad: I dropped it and died on me, so I need to make a choice.

Before I lay out my choices, here are my primary uses for my computer:
-Daily 8+ hours of Skype (MAIN USE!) with my girlfriend.
-Occasional Adobe lightroom use (RAM intense!)

-Social media, and surfing
-Light Microsoft office.
-Spotify

My question is, is the Macbook Air (dual-core...) good enough for my tasks above? I plan to get the 1.8Ghz dual-core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB config ($1600). I'd love 512GB but no way I'm shelling out $500 to add another 256 GB.

If not I plan to get the Mac Mini with the 2.6 i7 upgrade and fusion drive, and upgrade the RAm to 16GB myself + a 2nd cheap monitor (total $1400). I'll also have to buy a webcam.

Or an iMac w/ fusion drive and 16GB RAM upgrades (5200 rpm so no choice, and no customizable RAM :mad:... oh apple), that'll be about $1700.

What do you guys think?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys,

I currently use a Lenovo. At least, until yesterday. :mad: I dropped it and died on me, so I need to make a choice.

Before I lay out my choices, here are my primary uses for my computer:
-Daily 8+ hours of Skype (MAIN USE!) with my girlfriend.
-Occasional Adobe lightroom use (RAM intense!)

-Social media, and surfing
-Light Microsoft office.
-Spotify

My question is, is the Macbook Air (dual-core...) good enough for my tasks above? I plan to get the 1.8Ghz dual-core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB config ($1600). I'd love 512GB but no way I'm shelling out $500 to add another 256 GB.

If not I plan to get the Mac Mini with the 2.6 i7 upgrade and fusion drive, and upgrade the RAm to 16GB myself + a 2nd cheap monitor (total $1400). I'll also have to buy a webcam.

Or an iMac w/ fusion drive and 16GB RAM upgrades (5200 rpm so no choice, and no customizable RAM :mad:... oh apple), that'll be about $1700.

What do you guys think?

Skype, Lightroom, Spotify, and a browser capable of doing the web usage you are talking about are all cross-platform apps. KylePowers is right, do you need a laptop? But also, do you even need a Mac? A PC that will effectively run all of that will cost you a fraction of both the cost of that Air and that mini. Otherwise, yes, either of those two Macs will be more than enough.

mrbriskly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Skype, Lightroom, Spotify, and a browser capable of doing the web usage you are talking about are all cross-platform apps. KylePowers is right, do you need a laptop? But also, do you even need a Mac? A PC that will effectively run all of that will cost you a fraction of both the cost of that Air and that mini. Otherwise, yes, either of those two Macs will be more than enough.

My girlfriend uses a Mac, and I used to use macs back in school, so I miss the fluidity of the Mac OS. Moreover I value portability because my family lives in Madrid, and my girlfriend in the east coast, so I tend to travel.

Very willing to pay the premium.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
My girlfriend uses a Mac, and I used to use macs back in school, so I miss the fluidity of the Mac OS. Moreover I value portability because my family lives in Madrid, and my girlfriend in the east coast, so I tend to travel.

Then yes, the MBA you described will suit you just swell and I think you'll enjoy it.

You could always get an external monitor or Thunderbolt display for it if you want a desk setup as well.

jsl20

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
I think a 12 core Mac Pro will be the best option for skype. its pretty intensive. 32GB RAM minimum.

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal

Then you can use facetime too.

Buy a mac, always.

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010

If your GF has a Mac then drop Skype and use FaceTime, works much better IMO.

mrbriskly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
If your GF has a Mac then drop Skype and use FaceTime, works much better IMO.

Oh? the last time I tried it (last year) it had several audio problems on my gf's laptop. Guess I'll try it when I get it.

Guess the verdict is in then? MBA is good enough. *goes out to buy a hard drive to compensate for tiny flash drive*

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
Oh? the last time I tried it (last year) it had several audio problems on my gf's laptop. Guess I'll try it when I get it.

Guess the verdict is in then? MBA is good enough. *goes out to buy a hard drive to compensate for tiny flash drive*

THE AIR ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH... The air is by far the best laptop (performance/value/qualities) for 99% of users.

mrbriskly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
8+ hours a day skyping with your girlfriend? :eek:

She lives in the east coast, I'm on the west. go figure :p

Do hope that facetime will be a good replacement. I don't think I could run lightroom while simultaneously skyping w/ my gf.

mrbriskly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
So I gave facetime a try at the Apple store... it takes forever for it to connect. Even if it does, it rings on our iPhones but not our macs. We tried calling from both sides, but it rings on the other's iPhone only. =(

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
So I gave facetime a try at the Apple store... it takes forever for it to connect. Even if it does, it rings on our iPhones but not our macs. We tried calling from both sides, but it rings on the other's iPhone only. =(

Make sure everything is set up correctly. Facetime rings on ALL my Apple devices, iPhone, MBA and iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.