Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I remember as a 5-6 year old walking home from a controlled, peaceful day of Catholic school to wrestle with my brothers and turn on some good ole' WCW and watch Goldberg dominate.

I quit watching after WCW got bought out until Middle School when I started watching WWE. I then quit watching that after my favorite wrestler, Eddie Guerrero died. It just wasn't the same. Haven't watched it since.

Anyone here ever watch wrestling? What were some good, memorable moments or controversies you enjoyed?

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I grew up in the 80s watching local shows and NWA/WCW. During the late 90s-early 2000s, I would get together with friends and watch the Monday night shows. This was during the "Attitude" era at WWF. The talent with the Rock, DX, Brett Hart, and others was amazing.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I tuned it on a few months ago when nothing else was on and wow how cheesy it looked.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Having spent my "tween" years in a rural area within range of Nashville television stations, I would occasionally watch some local/regional wrestling shows on TV (CWA/USWA during the Jerry Lawler/Jeff Jarrett/Bill Dundee years, for anyone that still cares). It would air on Saturdays, just after American Bandstand. I figured out most of the schtick pretty quickly, but still found it mildly amusing from a serial action/drama standpoint. I checked out WWF once or twice, but found it too flashy and too slickly produced. There was something about the comparatively amateurish quality of the CWA television shows that made it a little easier to suspend disbelief-- or enjoy it more as the "macho man's soap opera".

By the time I had reached middle school, though, my attention turned toward music and video games, and I haven't bothered to care much about the professional wrestling scene since. Except, of course, for the "It's still real to me dammit" guy:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Once the Brothers of Destruction retire, I will tune out. WWE was a whole lot more entertaining during the Attitude Era. I sort of got more involved again with CM Punk's shoot last year, but man did they blow it.

Also a shame the Lord of Darkness gimmick for Taker was so short. Was truly the best persona for the character. :cool:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Once the Brothers of Destruction retire, I will tune out. WWE was a whole lot more entertaining during the Attitude Era. I sort of got more involved again with CM Punk's shoot last year, but man did they blow it.

Also a shame the Lord of Darkness gimmick for Taker was so short. Was truly the best persona for the character. :cool:

Yeah I didn't watch WWF back in the Attitude era because my parents thought it was too crass for me at 5/6... so I watched WCW. I've watched a lot of matches from that era and it seemed like a great product.

I recently have been watching CM Punk videos because a friend told me he has attitude era quality and that guy seems pretty good for a modern day main eventer.

Any of you guys remember Razor Ramon/Scott Hall? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGlvIIZccMM is a video showing why alcoholism and constant drug use is bad... really sad to see him like this.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Oh man, my dad, my brother and I used to love watching wrestling back when I was younger. But like most people I stopped watching it when I hit middle school as when thats when I found out it was fake. The ultimate warrior was my favorite wrestler till he died. I even went to a couple of live events in the DC area. Brings back old memories.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I recently have been watching CM Punk videos because a friend told me he has attitude era quality and that guy seems pretty good for a modern day main eventer.

As I said in my post, his shoot last year was epic. He said so many things that were on Vince's, " Don't ever mention" list. But, it's a shame they blew the whole angle.

Any of you guys remember Razor Ramon/Scott Hall? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGlvIIZccMM is a video showing why alcoholism and constant drug use is bad... really sad to see him like this.

Chris Benoit is a worse case in terms of what drugs(steroids specifically) does to someone( plus all the shots to the head he took).

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I must admit I enjoyed the Rock/Stone Cold feuds, or the Vince/Stone Cold spats. The acting seemed more authentic then. Of course that was before WWE bought WCW and they were fighting for ratings.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I must admit I enjoyed the Rock/Stone Cold feuds, or the Vince/Stone Cold spats. The acting seemed more authentic then. Of course that was before WWE bought WCW and they were fighting for ratings.

I've been watching 'Rassling since I was knee high to a rattler.;) Back when it was entertaining. I love hating the Iron Shiek (my favorite heel of all time). I never got caught up in the whole Hulkamania thing (was pretty Meh, with Hogan). Andre the Giant was THE MAN. My favorite old school 'rassler. Stopped watching for a while after he passed on.:(

Started up again when Stone Cold got his push. I found the Austin/McMahon feud loads of fun. Things went down hill pretty fast after the WWF brought out the WCW. The only guy from the WCW roster I thought was any good was the "five time, five time, five time WCW Champion" Booker T. Goldberg was bad...there's yet to be a superlative to describe just how bad he was. The man had only 2 moves (spear and bodyslam). Booker T has more finishers than Goldberg has moves.

Anyhow I stopped watching after my #2 all time favorite heel and #2 babyface moved on. Yeah, both are the same guy. My all time favorite 'rassler "sucked." Kurt Angle was great. He was as good a face as a heel.

I haven't tuned into professional wrassling for ages. Maybe when someone worthy of carrying Kurt Angle's tights emerges, I might be interested again.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I was pretty into wresting when I was a little kid. My mom took me to Wrestlmania III. Shows my age a bit...

Not really.. I was the same around that time as well.

I still say that to this very day, the best match I have ever seen was Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat in Wrestlemania III. nothing else has really come close.

I've watched a couple of episodes from time to time, and it's good to see that the athleticism is still there, but it has truly evolved from sports to sports entertainment. That isn't a bad thing, but it just shows you where it is going.

Outside of that, the best episode I have ever seen outside of any Hall of Fame inductions (and I haven't seen many), was the first WWE event after 9/11/2001. Vince's speech during that was even bigger than the speech the President gave.

Outside of that, I've pretty much outgrown it.

BL.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Talking about controversial characters, I loved Muhammed Hassan. That is the best heel ever. Gets fans to practically cheer for discrimination. Damn actual terrorism and the networks massive overreaction to it for killing this character.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Goldberg was bad...there's yet to be a superlative to describe just how bad he was. The man had only 2 moves (spear and bodyslam). Booker T has more finishers than Goldberg has moves.

WWE ruined Goldberg. If you watch some old WCW tapes on Goldberg, he was probably one of the most epic wrestlers of all time for the short period of time he was there. His entrance gave me goosebumps. He never talked. The only thing he ever really said was who was "next". He just kicked ass and had ridiculous amounts of silent charisma.

When he went to WWE he was 38 years old and significantly slower in the ring. They made him more human and actually cut promos which totally ruined his character.

Trust me. If he wasn't good in the ring, he wouldn't have been so well thought of during the Monday Night Wars. Main Eventers in WCW like Kevin Nash and Jeff Jarrett weren't well thought of because they were awful in the ring. Goldberg wasn't.

And Quagmire, that CM Punk promo was pretty damn good. Too bad WWE doesn't have any competition, when a company has competition is when it is at it's best. I could see that guy doing great stuff like that every time if they had to.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I was into in the days of The Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker, Triple H, etc. But that was at least 10 years ago.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I was into in the days of The Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker, Triple H, etc. But that was at least 10 years ago.

Same. I was a big WWF fan during the "Attitude" era. Had a blast at their now-defunct WWF restaurant in Times Square.

I, like some others here, quit after they bought out WCW.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I used to watch back in the day and even went to a match about 40 years ago. We knew it was fake, but was still entertaining to see. I once came across Andre the Giant in a hotel lobby taking up a seat meant for two. Haven't paid attention for years, though.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
WWE ruined Goldberg. If you watch some old WCW tapes on Goldberg, he was probably one of the most epic wrestlers of all time for the short period of time he was there. His entrance gave me goosebumps. He never talked. The only thing he ever really said was who was "next". He just kicked ass and had ridiculous amounts of silent charisma.

There's no denying Goldberg had lots and lots of charisma, but he had zero grappling skills. He was the total opposite of Chris Benoit. The Rabid Wolverine had incredible grappling skills, but zero charisma. That's why he was regulated to middle card. I always liked the Chris Benoit/William Regal match up. Lots of moves, counter moves and counters to counters.

I've seen enough Goldberg matches to see a trend. Every Goldberg match I've seen have been squash matches lasting less than 30 seconds sometimes less than 5 seconds. He perform the same two moves in each one. Spear, bodyslam... 1, 2, 3...ding-ding-ding.

To me, Goldberg was just a younger Hulk Hogan. Lots and lots of charisma, but not much talent. Maybe that's because I'm old school.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I've seen enough Goldberg matches to see a trend. Every Goldberg match I've seen have been squash matches lasting less than 30 seconds sometimes less than 5 seconds. He perform the same two moves in each one. Spear, bodyslam... 1, 2, 3...ding-ding-ding.

To me, Goldberg was just a younger Hulk Hogan. Lots and lots of charisma, but not much talent. Maybe that's because I'm old school.

It's the same with John Cena today. Always the same pattern. Gets beat down, then becomes Super Cena and perform the five moves of doom..... It's why all the grown male adults boo him at events and hate on him on the internet. Orton was refreshing, but now that he is a babyface, he followed the Cena trend.

The only good babyface is Taker. You know a tombstone, chokeslam, or last ride along with his classic sit up is coming, but it's not done in a way where it gets predictable and boring. His last 4 Wrestlemania matches with Shawn Michaels and HHH have been outstanding and stole the show even when the Rock returned for the first time in 7 years.

Cobra Blade

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Australia
Was a huge fan of WCW. Missing it and wishing it was still around was an inspiration for my game Powerslam.
Still watch TNA today but nothing today compares to wrestling before the 21st century.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I recently watched an episode of WWE and man, is it garbage nowadays.

It seems as though wrestling goes through peaks and downward spirals more than any other entertainment. It's due for a peak in mainstream popularity and quality soon, hopefully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.