Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Just to let anyone interested know, I was having the same issue with a Prometheus Blu Ray ie only downloading an SD copy in iTunes... after contacting Fox customer support they have furnished me with a replacement code for a HD copy. So email them...

US or UK?

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
UK... And at least a couple of people on this thread from the UK seem to have downloaded HD versions straight off the bat.

Starhawk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
I just purchased all seasons of True Blood, the revised Blu-Rays with DVD and Digital Copy and was expecting them to download in iTunes as HD, as some people have been saying and so far Season 1 did NOT download in HD, only SD.

Can someone tell me which seasons they have downloaded that have been HD so I can return the ones that are downloading in SD, please!

Gadgetman, are you sure your Blu-Ray version is the newest HBO Select version?

The older sets look very similar to the newer ones. The older ones download SD only, while the newer ones download HD.

Older Set
Newer "HBO Select" set

Gadget-Man

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2009
Starhawk, I purchased all 4 seasons of the Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy which is the HBO Select ones. Season 1 downloaded on iTunes as SD, so I didn't want to open the rest of them if they are SD. Was going to take them back. I contacted HBO support thru their website like a week ago and have heard nothing back from them! Been trying to call them, but can't get thru with the storm! (212) 512-1208.

Gadgetman, are you sure your Blu-Ray version is the newest HBO Select version?

The older sets look very similar to the newer ones. The older ones download SD only, while the newer ones download HD.

Older Set
Newer "HBO Select" set

Last edited:

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
Who at Fox did you email? I finally got a reply from them this morning telling me they don't do HD digital copies.

You're right - I eventually resubmitted a new code they gave me, under the impression that this would give me an hd copy, and lo and behold it was SD again. Only after the fourth email did they, still slightly cryptically, that this was a feature they may adopt in the future. I found that both apple and fox avoided my explicit and direct enquiry about SD vs HD downloads on this specific Bluray, and only eventually addressed my question after several back and forth emails.
Yet some people, a couple of pages back, claim to have downloaded an HD copy from the same product edition as myself.

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
You're right - I eventually resubmitted a new code they gave me, under the impression that this would give me an hd copy, and lo and behold it was SD again. Only after the fourth email did they, still slightly cryptically, that this was a feature they may adopt in the future. I found that both apple and fox avoided my explicit and direct enquiry about SD vs HD downloads on this specific Bluray, and only eventually addressed my question after several back and forth emails.
Yet some people, a couple of pages back, claim to have downloaded an HD copy from the same product edition as myself.

It's the truth, not a "claim" :)

I used the code on the standard (not 3D) UK BD of Prometheus on the Fox Digital Copy website, which then gave me an iTunes code that redeemed the SD *and* HD versions.

Attachments

• Prometheus HD Digital Copy.jpg
    Prometheus HD Digital Copy.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 265

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
I don't doubt you; Fox Digital do, however:

"Dear xxxxx,

We apologize for any inconvenience but we cannot validate any posting on a forum. As of now, a High Definition Digital Copy transfer is a feature we hope to support in the future.

Best Regards,

Fox Digital Copy Support"

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
How bizarre!

I *did* get the HD version via the BD code, as did others here. I don't understand why Fox is denying it completely. I wonder if it was some sort of screw up? Perhaps if I bought another 2D BD now and redeemed the code I'd only get the SD digital copy.

Starhawk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Starhawk, I purchased all 4 seasons of the Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy which is the HBO Select ones. Season 1 downloaded on iTunes as SD, so I didn't want to open the rest of them if they are SD. Was going to take them back. I contacted HBO support thru their website like a week ago and have heard nothing back from them! Been trying to call them, but can't get thru with the storm! (212) 512-1208.

Either you got an old code by mistake, or HBO has changed all the codes to download SD only. I have Season 1 and 4 and both downloaded HD for sure, and they still show up in my Purchases section as such.

I think it's also likely that you got an old code (the SD only codes from the original boxes by mistake). It happens. I recently bought Scarface and the digital code in the case downloaded The Mummy!

Let us know what you find out.

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
How bizarre!

I *did* get the HD version via the BD code, as did others here. I don't understand why Fox is denying it completely. I wonder if it was some sort of screw up? Perhaps if I bought another 2D BD now and redeemed the code I'd only get the SD digital copy.

So, someone on another forum I visit has had the SD vs. HD digital copy issue too.

They bought the 3D BD, and the code only gave them the SD digital copy. They emailed Fox and were told the same as Topfry was told.

They've now taken it back to where they purchased it and got the 2D BD instead (same as mine).

They've redeemed the code, and... the HD digital copy is downloading.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/23/12471-dvds-blu-ray-discs-you-lust-page-32.html#post35492020

- Why is Fox telling people that it does not supply HD digital copies?

- Why does the 2D BD give you the HD version but the 3D BD does not?

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
I bought the 2d copy as well. There is something odd about it, it's as if both itunes and Fox are perfectly aware of an issue; when company's are repeatedly evasive and then eventually deny a particular problem, bs alarms start ringing. I took the time to explain the problem to both as simply and plainly as possible, and they couldn't seem to grasp it for 4 emails and then categorically deny it... Hmmm!

Gadget-Man

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2009
Starhawk, I just bought a new code for season 4 and you even goto the hboselect website and it redeems in iTunes as SD, so I guess HBO has changed it. So I updated the spreadsheet to show all seasons iTunes redeem at SD.

Either you got an old code by mistake, or HBO has changed all the codes to download SD only. I have Season 1 and 4 and both downloaded HD for sure, and they still show up in my Purchases section as such.

I think it's also likely that you got an old code (the SD only codes from the original boxes by mistake). It happens. I recently bought Scarface and the digital code in the case downloaded The Mummy!

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:

Starhawk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Starhawk, I just bought a new code for season 4 and you even goto the hboselect website and it redeems in iTunes as SD, so I guess HBO has changed it. So I updated the spreadsheet to show all seasons iTunes redeem at SD.

Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear. I still had seasons 2 & 3 to get, but I think I'll be passing now.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009

This is BS on the studios part. The inconsistency and mismanagement of DCs is maddening. I was hoping HBO would be starting a new trend with HD downloads, but now they just decide to change it without mention. It's borderline bait and switch if you ask me.

Moonloop

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
Ireland
Region coding returns ?

Seems to me that the studios are cutting off their noses to spite their face . I have >2k movies on disc accumulated over the last 15 years but am strongly thinking of looking for a different hobby because of the direction of the studios treatment of collectors . I have never downloaded a torrent or bought a cheap street copy or copied a disc with a view to selling it in bulk , yet they treat us all as potential criminals in some respects .

My Zone A 4-disc BD refuses to give me a DC for my IPad ( I'm in the ' wrong region ' ) , Titanic ( All Zone ! ) Limited Boxset , ' wrong region ' and the worst example was ' ' Snow White and the Huntsman ' Zone B purchased on a trip to London to see ' Skyfall ' in Leicester Square on opening weekend . When I returned home to Ireland iTunes informed me that the DC was not available in ' my region ' despite still being in Zone B !!!!!!!

I've always loved movies but I'm getting really bored with the studios poor employment of technology at the expense of their best , most loyal customers .

M

Lnds500

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
Just to clarify... How do we know that movies like Peter Pan, Finding Nemo, Game of Thrones etc will give SD DCs? They aren't even out yet. :confused:

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
Just to clarify... How do we know that movies like Peter Pan, Finding Nemo, Game of Thrones etc will give SD DCs? They aren't even out yet. :confused:

Disney movies give SD as a general rule which hopefully will change one day in the future

Lnds500

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
Disney movies give SD as a general rule which hopefully will change one day in the future

Yes, but shouldn't the spreadsheet list Digital Copies which have been checked if they are SD or not? Otherwise we won't know if it's speculation or confirmed

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Disney really needs to change its DC policy

Well on the sneak peeks, they have Monsters inc 3d bluray (its on preorder from amazon, along with peter pan WITH $$$ OFF COUPONS now)

The 3d sneak peek says that they have HD DIGITAL FILES coming, which most likely means watch it directly from disney online site in HD, not on an apple tv :mad:

I do wish that Cinderella 2 & 3 had digital copies. NO digital copy makes the title kind of worthless to me :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.