Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
First of all, I am not here to complain about the quality of the iPad Mini screen. Like many others on here, I would have really liked to see a retina display on the Mini, but alas I understand the potential reasons for why this was not included in this iteration. That being said, I came across an interesting discovery. I preordered two minis; a black 32 GB and a white 64 GB. I had the chance to compare both of these side by side, and I notice that the the white 64GB's screen is more washed out and less vibrant than the black 32's screen. Both units are at maximum brightness and it subjectively appears as if the black 32's icons and text just "pop"; appear smoother and less pixelated than the white 64's screen. I am assuming that both screens are coming from different manufacturers and I am curious to see if there is anyway to determine the manufacturer of the screen without taking the device apart. I was very pleased with the screen on the black Mini (since I received this first) and now the white mini's screen is really disappointing.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
First of all, I am not here to complain about the quality of the iPad Mini screen. Like many others on here, I would have really liked to see a retina display on the Mini, but alas I understand the potential reasons for why this was not included in this iteration. That being said, I came across an interesting discovery. I preordered two minis; a black 32 GB and a white 64 GB. I had the chance to compare both of these side by side, and I notice that the the white 64GB's screen is more washed out and less vibrant than the black 32's screen. Both units are at maximum brightness and it subjectively appears as if the black 32's icons and text just "pop"; appear smoother and less pixelated than the white 64's screen. I am assuming that both screens are coming from different manufacturers and I am curious to see if there is anyway to determine the manufacturer of the screen without taking the device apart. I was very pleased with the screen on the black Mini (since I received this first) and now the white mini's screen is really disappointing.

Could it have to do with the color of the bezel influencing the colors on screen? If you cover the white bezel does it look better?

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
We have his & her minis. She pre-ordered herself the white, and the black for me, while I slept in. They did come from different locations, but neither of us ever thought to compare them side by side. We're both still elated with them. Fantastic devices.

slch

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Easy experiment. Cut two pieces of paper so it hides the bezel. Put the paper over the iPads and take a picture side by side. Let us decide the result :p

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Some people have posted in other threads the difference in the screens. Just go to an apple store and look at a few side by side.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
We've got 3 minis and they were all bought from different stores and are from 2 different factories with different build weeks for each one. The screens look identical on all 3 of them

They are, however, all black and I wonder if it is something to do with the white bezel making the colours look washed out

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I preordered a black and a white they came from different places. White came ups black came fedex. However I haven't got to compare them as they are both gifts so they are both still sealed.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Perhaps certain tints hide fuzzy text better? I've noticed that the Sepia background/theme in iBooks helps eliminate some of the fuzz.

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
I'm actually experiencing this as well. My wife's 32 gb white mini is pretty bright and vibrant while my son's 64 gb white mini is slightly less bright, colors a few % less vibrant and battery life isn't as long as the 32gb. I have a few days before my 14day return/ exchange period and I'm going to get the 64gb swapped out and check for quality on the new unit before I leave the store. I just noticed the comparison last night.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I just got the Mini the other day and joined the forum. With all the posts and threads about the screen, I have to think there is at least the possibility of inferior screens on some Minis. And not just different between the 16, 32, and 64 models per se but for each model within itself.

Cannot we just pick one website, a magazine, a comic, a book to test? I understand one's vision comes into play and the lighting environment. I think it would at least be a start to see if the conclusion is that there indeed is a problem.

If there indeed is, then what?

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks to everyone who replied. I do believe that Apple is using different screen manufacturers for the Mini and I wonder, if like every other Apple device, there is a superior screen made by X company vs. an inferior screen made by Y company. I will take some pictures when I get home tonight, but I have only my iPhone so hopefully the pictures will highlight what I am trying to explain with words.

That being said, does anyone know of a way to check the screen's manufacturer without taking apart the iPad?

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Believe it or not, the color of the device also affects your viewing experience. There is a reason after all TV's have black frames.

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Believe it or not, the color of the device also affects your viewing experience. There is a reason after all TV's have black frames.

To an extent yes, but I have two white minis. One 32gb and one 64gb. The 64 is clearly dimmer. In going to get it exchanged.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
It's good to see our old friend Mister OCD. He's alway the life of the party!

Last edited:

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland

I used to have one with a wooden frame. Then one with matte dark grey (more like light black), then one with silver, now one with shiny black. My next TV will barely have a bezel at all, but what there is will likely be silver, or black, or clear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.